Talk

Advanced search

Chocolate Fountain

(9 Posts)
Lastminutelizzie Thu 13-Nov-14 14:40:31

My dc have requested that Santa bring a chocolate fountain, having enjoyed one at a friend's house.
There seem to be quite a few different makes available, pls can anyone recommend one or tell me which brand to avoid.
Are they easy to clean ? What's the best chocolate to use ?

stewierooibos Thu 13-Nov-14 20:37:05

I think ours is just a tesco one. Works well. They recommend chocolate with high cocoa solids iirc.

Mine isn't too bad to clean, more hassle than washing up a bowl but not a total nightmare iyswim.

DamselNotInHerDress Thu 13-Nov-14 20:41:43

We have one that we have used just once but the dc loved it.
I bought fondue chocolate from amazon. I recommend washing it up sooner rather than later, actually I just blasted the removable bits under a hot tap then chucked them in the dishwasher.
I don't know what brand it is, sorry, but it's old as was bought as a Christmas present years ago and shoved in the loft almost immediately. Only just got it down a few weeks ago for its debut. Went down a storm with all the dc we had round at the time smile

Yoruba Thu 13-Nov-14 20:48:46

Oh god I wouldn't. We were bought one as a Xmas present last year. Used it once. It doesn't work properly, the choc only flowed down one side hmm and it was a total pain in the back side to wash up. I honestly wouldn't bother. Microwave a big bowl of chocolate and let them dip in that!

LifeIsBetterInFlipFlops Thu 13-Nov-14 20:52:11

Someone bought one for us, I've never used it as it says to add vegetable oil - to make the chocolate flow. Just sounds hideous.

DamselNotInHerDress Thu 13-Nov-14 22:45:28

I didn't need to add any oil, but I recommend getting 2kgs to make it flow properly. Also, mine came with adjustable feet to make it properly level. Wonkiness and not enough chocolate will make it flow unevenly.
And microwave the bags of fondue chocolate (if you get this) until it's runny and pour it straight in for immediate use. Don't leave it hanging around or just flowing for ages as it will start to set again.

AtlanticDrift Thu 13-Nov-14 23:11:45

My eldest ds is 13 and we bought it for his 5th birthday party. It was just one from Tesco. We take it out for parties or to melt the Easter egg chocolate! I must say it was a great buy, its always a real treat for the dc. I also added baileys to the chocolate once for an adults party grin

AtlanticDrift Thu 13-Nov-14 23:15:19

Sorry meant to add, we just use any chocolate, whatever is on offer. You only need a tablespoon if oil and its already in chocolate so you don't taste it. Some bits go in the dishwasher and the other bit I wipe when choc is still warm. As I said its a rare usage thing so I don't mind the cleaning. I also bring mine into school at the end of the year and I'm widely known as the teacher who has the chocolate fountain

poolomoomon Fri 14-Nov-14 07:29:53

I got one as a present a few years ago. Used it once when pissed, went to wash it the next morning and couldn't get it clean AT ALL. Spent ages trying to get even a small amount of chocolate off, failed to remove any. Had to throw it in the bin! Total waste. So I wouldn't advice either... Much easier to melt chocolate on the stove!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now