Talk

Advanced search

Brown wrapping paper

(13 Posts)
bookwormbeagle Thu 13-Nov-14 11:29:47

Hoping to make some festive wrapping paper this year with the DCs and a tub of paint. Where's the best place to get rolls of brown paper. Also will normal Sellotape hold it in place or will I need the strong stuff?

Any tips on offer?

AnythingNotEverything Thu 13-Nov-14 11:34:09

Following.

Some of the stuff I've bought in the past has been a bit like grease proof paper - too shiny and crinkly to wrap nearly with.

In the distant past I've had nice quality stuff from Ikea and more recently Paperchase.

Lovely idea by the way. I love brown/kraft paper

ArcheryAnnie Thu 13-Nov-14 11:35:13

I go to the nearest builder's merchant and get a giant roll of their thinnest lining paper (usually about £2, lasts forever). It isn't very thin, so does need wrestling around oddly-shaped presents, but it's dead cheap and recyclable, as no foil, etc. (There are different thicknesses of lining paper, so do get the thinnest you can - it's usually marked on the end of the roll.)

We usually wrap the presents first in the plain paper (it comes as off-white) then decorate. Paint and felt-tips are tricky, as it might bleed through even this thick paper, but stamping, crayons (only time we ever use crayons for anything!), pencils, etc. Often we write the recipients name HUGE and decorate in and around that. Or stamping with snowflakes, stars, etc, then ribbon on top.

The nice thing about this is that it's fun, it's personalised, it looks great (usually...) and you always have the right paper for the occasion!

ThinkIveBeenHacked Thu 13-Nov-14 11:35:38

Ikea do rolls of plain brown paper which is thin like normal wrap. Usual sellotape is fine too.

ArcheryAnnie Thu 13-Nov-14 11:35:43

If you really want brown paper, not white, then the post office usually sells rolls of that.

bookwormbeagle Thu 13-Nov-14 11:50:59

Some great ideas here, thank you all. thanks

I particularly like the idea of crayon designs on wrapped up presents, what a fab idea! <might have to copy that blush>

LikeSilver Thu 13-Nov-14 12:17:30

My local post office sells it at 99p for 3m.

Not sure how old your dc are but my dd decorates brown paper for her grandparent's presents, they love it. She does white or brown paint footprints which I make into snowmen or reindeer, or green handprints which I make into Christmas trees can't be arsed doing this for anyone else though

Chaseface Thu 13-Nov-14 12:23:53

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Siarie Thu 13-Nov-14 12:25:50

I've just purchased some from John Lewis, it's great quality and I've used a black stamp on it with old rustic twine. Really lovely!

amy83firsttimer Thu 13-Nov-14 12:29:32

I got a 5m roll on ebay for a couple of quid. Hobbycraft have sets of small festive stamps for £2 so I've wrapped, then stamped, then tied with ribbon.

pommedeterre Thu 13-Nov-14 12:30:59

I got a massive roll of kraft paper from amazon.

Dds have been doing stamping on it for our wrapping paper. Got a load done last weekend need more doing this weekend.

puddock Thu 13-Nov-14 12:47:32

Genius to decorate paper once it's on the the presents, thank you ArcheryAnnie smile

WerewolfBarMitzvah Thu 13-Nov-14 12:52:53

Lining paper is a cracking idea Annie
Check out Pinterest for wrapping ideas- brown paper and wool or string, bows made from paper etc etc.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now