Talk

Advanced search

Where to go? Please save our Christmas!

(22 Posts)
oxcat1 Thu 13-Nov-14 10:26:38

I have had a rubbish year! Spent 11 out of the last 12 months in hospital and now home but in a wheelchair (following a fractured spine), with 24 hr carers etc.

We have no children (a huge sadness) and this year my bro is getting married just before Christmas so will not be with us for a boozy grown-up Christmas like usual! I'm dreading it! I'm so down about stuff and Christmas is just all about what we have't got.

Dates are flexible: from my 23 Dec to 3 Janueary: first year ever he hasn't worked at Christmas.

However, I was thinking of two options, and I wonder if you can hep with ideas for either? Basically it seems DH and I want the same at Christmas - something simple, straightforward, and just abut us and spending time together again - but the ways to achieve it are opposite!

1) he is shattered from an emotional and physical nightmare year, and wants to find maybe a hotel, where things can all be done for him if necessary - i.e. Cooking, cleaning, etc. We adore the sea and would love a hotel where big bay windows could open onto crashing waves! Or something like that! But I dread being organised into activities! Money is limited, and it would be nice to be somewhere where we could also eat out/poke around shops etc. Brighton is our dream, but think too expensive, and we enjoyed Whitstable - but it seemed shut?! Hotel needs to be wheelchair accessible, but not necessarily 'adapted'.

2) my dream is some sort of Ecopod, again looking straight on to the sea. I just think of lying in bed reading, everything so close together that I can even manage to make a cup of tea for myself! Restrictions are that is has to be not too remote (may well need to summon an ambulance in a hurry!), and because I am on constant oxygen and a ventilator at night, I really do need proper AC power, not simply a phone charging point, and again I need to be careful around open flames because of the oxygen. I suppose that I am dreaming of some sort of tiny Shepherd's Hut or something, although it does need to be all level access, with an ensuite toilet (and I do better with baths than showers), or even just a tiny bungalow/cottage.

Any ideas gratefully received. I am so frightened about this year but it could be the most amazing chance to make memories and reconnect with my DH, but it could just be cold, stressful and expensive for us both!

Thanks in advance!

tywysogesgymraeg Thu 13-Nov-14 10:30:18

TBH, I think you should wait a while to have your dream Christmas. With your medical condition, it seems a bit risky, and difficult to find.

A nice quiet hotel which would provide you with food, but which would leave you alone in between times would seem ideal.

If you really don't want a hotel, a country cottage somewhere like West Wales (Pembs?) would be a good compromise.

xalyssx Thu 13-Nov-14 10:41:11

What about the Isle of Wight?

ZeViteVitchofCwismas Thu 13-Nov-14 10:44:26

lots of b and bs have wheel chair access...why not check them out, alister sawday is a great site and often you can get hotel rooms but much nicer for much cheaper. some sel catering comes with optional cleaner and you can eat out or at take aways

Gen35 Thu 13-Nov-14 10:48:35

I've stayed at a few places on Alastair sawdays and loved them. Also, I'd post on the trip advisor forums, may get some good recommendations there for our specific needs. Hope you have a lovely time - I hope 2015 is a much better year for you.

Gen35 Thu 13-Nov-14 10:49:30

Ps recommend Durham for a lovely place to stay, things to poke around and not too daunting, and Barnard castle

Tikkabillajive Thu 13-Nov-14 11:33:56

Here?

www.thepighotel.com/on-the-beach/hotel-rooms-studland-bay/

Theas18 Thu 13-Nov-14 11:53:54

Just spent a couple of days here with my mum and dad ( she's wheelchair dependent).

www.booking.com/hotel/gb/the-manor-house.en-gb.html?aid=318615;label=New_English_EN_GBIE_5226314545-RnYQj%2AqnIkYg15Re%2ASD5mgS46623197785%3Apl%3Ata%3Ap1%3Ap2%3Aac%3Aap1t1%3Aneg;sid=2c9361d765eedef975c94b8e94bffceb;dcid=4;ucfs=1;srfid=bbe71a59f913ae51e7927d47637c7314ff85be5aX1;highlight_room=

Right on the sea, dining rooms has sea views ( and not " glancing in the distance ones either) and wheeling along the road and down to the prom is easy .

THe disabled "suite" was amazing. Huge room - converted bar. it has a barrel vaulted glass ceiling in the centre that they've lit with coloured lights. not " the height of modern taste" maybe but unique certainly. THere was a king sized double and an electric single bed, riser recliner powered chairs etc etc. also a wee " kitchenette" area and dining table. THe bathroom was a huge access able wet room.

Power etc for equipment no problem

Staff really helpful too.

The hotel is absolutely the victorian seaside experience it promises. Mimalist chic it aint!

Breakfasts were lovely, we didn't manage to eat in the evening there ( but did go to a pub down the road - the ship? where the food was stunning).

You'd have to drive to Cromer or sheringham to "poke round the shops" but they were lovely too

Pompbear Thu 13-Nov-14 15:59:46

hire a cottage in dungerness? amazing place.

failing that, southwold. lovely hotels. not completely on the sea though.

makemineapinot Thu 13-Nov-14 19:54:32

Where are you based and how far do you want to travel? Hope you find your dream location - sounds like you really deserve it this year!

ZeViteVitchofCwismas Thu 13-Nov-14 20:50:05

Op studland where the pig hotel is, is an utterly gorgeous part of the world...so many lovely places to go to there too....

would highly recommended it. the pg hotel looks v v nice too...

oxcat1 Thu 13-Nov-14 21:00:47

Wow! So many replies! Thank you so, so much!

I hadn't thought of the Isle of Wight
- tajtz e

oxcat1 Thu 13-Nov-14 21:09:40

Whoops! Posted too soon!

Lots of lovely suggestions to investigate - thank you.

I should have said that money is very tight - benefits get suspended after a certain time in hospital and I haven't yet got them all reinstated. Grrr. It may be worth it though.

I shall enjoy looking through all those suggestions. Has anybody got anything tiny, flat and self-catering to suggest? By the sea and cheap?!

LittleMissGreen Thu 13-Nov-14 22:08:55

7 nights in Cornwall for less than �500

FelixTitling Thu 13-Nov-14 22:16:35

Try looking at Enable Holidays Website

Hope you both get the break you deserve and need.

AimlesslyPurposeful Thu 13-Nov-14 22:24:28

What about this little place in Hastings?

Downoak Abbey Lodge.

We had a day in Hastings recently and the Old Town was lovely. Lots of little niche shops and cafés. It rained all day but we had a lovely time. We went to the Sealife Centre, the little Maritime Museum and had fish and chips in a chippy overlooking the beach.

All the shops had made a real effort for Halloween and I can't wait to go back and see their Christmas displays.

CherryElf Thu 13-Nov-14 23:24:42

The Isle of Wight Warners is a nice location, wheelchair accessible, and fantastic food, right on the coast and on the clearest of days you can look right across to the uk... Me and hubby went a couple of years ago, lovely place xx

PunkrockerGirl Thu 13-Nov-14 23:29:46

The Grove in Bournemouth. Never heard a bad word about it.

oxcat1 Fri 14-Nov-14 22:57:21

You are all so kind - thank you. Guess what I'll be doing all weekend!

Interesting what you say about Hastings... I had read about it once, as the 'up and coming' (i.e. hopefully cheaper!) Brighton. Drove all along the coast road from Brighton to see but wasn't convinced. Worth another look though, clearly.

DH a little concerned about the Isle f Wight because of the lack of a decent hospital - seem to remember from that documentary series that you have to get a helicopter back to the mainland. May not be the thing for this year.

Thanks again.

spababe Sat 15-Nov-14 14:03:38

Was going to suggest the Hotel Elizabeth Sidmouth as I know they used to have specifications by room on door width etc. Can't find this info on their website now but sure you could give them a ring. Right by the sea and a lovely flat prom. Partially pedestrianised shopping area with lots of unusual shops. Boxing Day swim in the sea (spectate!)
Hospital at Exeter about 12 miles away.

CuppaTandCake Sat 15-Nov-14 21:28:35

Maybe have a look at this site?

www.disabledholidaydirectory.co.uk/search/uk-l23/england-l24/

Might give you some options. So sorry you've had such a rubbish year and I hope you can achieve a Christmas you will both enjoy.

stridesy Sun 16-Nov-14 08:18:31

You could stay somewhere like worthing which is cheaper by the sea with a bit of life and close to Brighton or bognor.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now