Talk

Advanced search

Balance bike or regular bike?

(10 Posts)
GingerPuddin Wed 12-Nov-14 17:51:06

DS will be 3.5 at Christmas. We're thinking of getting him a bike for Christmas. He has a trike but he doesn't use the pedals very often and prefers to push it with his feet. It's a big heavy trike so that might be why. Any recommendations? Ideally something light for when I end up carrying. Thanks!

CaulkheadUpNorth Wed 12-Nov-14 17:53:08

Regular bike. You can take off the peddles and make it into a balance bike if needed. Don't put stabilisers on though.

FatimaLovesBread Wed 12-Nov-14 17:53:15

DD is two and we've gone for a Puky balance bike. I think MIL has bought her one with stabilisers too but she had a go on one in the shop and didn't really like it. Hoping to go straight to a normal bike with no stabilisers once she's a bit bigger

bryonyelf Wed 12-Nov-14 17:54:43

Islabike balance bike IMO is brilliant. Very light. Looks like a real bike and you can sell easily on ebay for not much less than you paid for it. DS got his for his birthday when he was 2. By age 3 he was off on a new bike with no stabilisers needing no help. I highly recommend them. I know lots of here don't rate balance bikes at all though.

bryonyelf Wed 12-Nov-14 17:55:05

The only thing is they go bloody fast in them when they get the hang of it!

GingerPuddin Wed 12-Nov-14 18:14:32

I am slightly terrified at how fast he'll go. We live near some big hills. Will need to get a helmet as well.

Sootgremlin Wed 12-Nov-14 18:51:50

We got my ds a balance bike at 3 (Puky) and it's been great for his confidence and helping him learn a bit of road sense (he does exactly as I say or walks). Can't say what the transition to bike is yet, we are thinking of getting one without stabilisers at 4 to get the most use out of the Puky.

It's given him a lot more independence than if he had a regular bike and stabilisers I think, as he is in control himself, can go ahead a bit, stop etc. He's never gone mad on it, but yes, a helmet is a must!

I've seen kids of a similar age on traditional bikes at the park and they seem much more hard work for all involved, usually requiring a parent pushing/steering, whereas he can just cruise alongside me.

Frontron Wed 12-Nov-14 20:10:22

I echo getting a regular bike and taking the pedals off so you get extra use out of it. This is what we did with both ds's and it worked a treat smile

Emmiedarling Wed 12-Nov-14 20:49:22

I second the Isla bike - my son adores his!

erin99 Wed 12-Nov-14 20:55:37

If you need to carry it day in, day out it'll need to be a balance bike.

However my short DS outgrew his balance bike around his 4th birthday so if you get one, make sure it's a big one. I think a 12 inch proper bike would be a better use of the money. Take the pedals off for a few months then put them back, if you can compromise on the carrying thing. Never use stabilisers.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now