Talk

Advanced search

what foods can i scrimp on?

(38 Posts)
qazxc Wed 12-Nov-14 16:32:08

Is the lidl/aldi stuff just as good as m&s? Is there any taste difference between frozen turkey and poncey bronze turkey from butchers? Please come here and impart all your money saving tips esp for food,drinks and nibbles.

HoHoHappyHolidays Wed 12-Nov-14 16:37:38

No advice sorry but I am definitely watching smile

Mrsgrumble Wed 12-Nov-14 16:39:10

Definitely go to lidl or aldi!

I do splash out on m&s sage and onion stuffing and their croquettes but so much nice stuff in aldi and lidl

isleangel Wed 12-Nov-14 16:39:54

I bought a box of lidl fudge last week, as I had seen it recommended here and it was gorgeous - didn't last a day in our house and that's quite rare. It was the irish cream version and was only £1.20 a box! Loved it so much I'm going to stock up tomorrow and buy lots of people a box for Christmas smile

SmileAndNod Wed 12-Nov-14 16:47:29

Lidl mini stollen bites are gorgeous, as is their panettone. Nicer than waitrose, imo.
I maybe slightly addicted to lidlblush

isleangel Wed 12-Nov-14 16:50:23

Oh Smile - I have to resist the urge to buy the Stollen for a few weeks yet, or it will all go grin and I think the fudge has been bad enough, but I too love all things lidl

Bassetfeet Wed 12-Nov-14 16:52:08

The Aldi frozen turkey crown is lovely and only £9.99.

schmeegle Wed 12-Nov-14 16:58:06

That's good to hear Bassetfeet. It's on my list but have never had it before.

SmileAndNod Wed 12-Nov-14 17:02:22

They are delish aren't they? The only trouble with lidl I found last year is that all the festive stuff had disappeared the week before Christmas which is why I'm stockpiling it all now <adds fudge to shopping list>

Alibabaandthe40nappies Wed 12-Nov-14 17:17:23

For mince pies its much cheaper to buy a jar of decent quality mincemeat, and make your own pastry and make them rather than buy them.

If you get a frozen turkey but cook it properly - cover with bacon and buttered greaseproof paper and baste throughout cooking - then it will be fine.

qazxc Wed 12-Nov-14 17:32:26

i've just bought my christmas cards and a roll of wrapping paper from lidl, they look nice.
I am also baking a ham for tonight + sambos this week.
I also got a bottle of bucks fizz (beverage of choice when doing cards/wrapping presents/pre christmas dinner drink), as i recall it was as good as any other.
Will stock up on chocolates next week.

nic013 Wed 12-Nov-14 17:48:39

The cheese, cold meats, panetone, stollen biscuits and chocolate are great from Aldi and Lidl. Last year we bought most of the Christmas stuff from Lidl with a few extras at Waitrose like some weird chutneys, oils, vinegars and pate. We normally get the veg and roasting meat from Morrisons or Tescos.

PesoPenguin Wed 12-Nov-14 18:03:12

I'll buy everything from Aldi tbh but we're not massively fussy about meat so if you are, I'd splash out on a decent turkey and scrimp on the extras esp sweet things as Aldi/ Lidl's are better IMHO.

Wishtoremainunknown Wed 12-Nov-14 18:06:23

As a general rule aldi is amazing for anything fresh. More processed/pre made I'd not scrimp on.

MsAspreyDiamonds Wed 12-Nov-14 19:53:27

Waitrose Cranberry mincemeat is worth it for making your own mince pies.

I bought a salmon en crout from Aldi for �3:99ish very nice it was too.

OutThereLil Wed 12-Nov-14 20:33:05

Can anyone recommend someone on fb who makes really nice personalised bunting?

I want for dd1s new bedroom

OutThereLil Wed 12-Nov-14 20:33:43

Wrong thread! blush

ZeViteVitchofCwismas Wed 12-Nov-14 22:47:53

TBH I am sure a top range turkey from top butcher will be lots better!

But I am going to try the Lidl goose this year if I can get it of course I hate the way their stock works.

I am scrimping on main meat anyway...will probably get some stuffing from m and s, and maybe a show stopping pudding from them....and gravey the rest the usual...

ilovehotsauce Thu 13-Nov-14 08:28:06

We had some of the lidl party food as part of dd birthday buffet my bf & dcousin were both stood by the table munching away saying how lovely everything thing was and I must have gone to m&s! (They are both snobs!) Dh said their faces were a picture when told it was lidl! I will definitely be stocking up for Xmas!

I also tried the stuffing I think it was apple sage and onion it was lovely !
Last year I did half and half lidl & m&s this year will be solely lidl I don't see the point on spending loads more especially as it's soooooo tasty!

GraduallyGoneInsane Thu 13-Nov-14 08:41:43

Aldi smoked salmon is better than Sainsburys/tesco - more big pieces and less scrappy bits. Their champagne won taste tests and is about £12 a bottle too.

They do a good own brand version of Toblerone and their value dark chocolate is excellent for baking with.

Binglet Thu 13-Nov-14 11:19:32

I've not got anything of interest to add but I'm very interested to find out if aldi/lidl cook from frozem christmas joints are any good. I'm being banned from cooking turkey so want something different to beef or chicken.

everydayaschoolday Thu 13-Nov-14 13:25:21

We've had the Aldi frozen turkey crown for the last 2 Christmas dinners, and it was delicious.

Mrsgrumble Thu 13-Nov-14 13:49:23

Binglet I have tried the Christmas joints but the duck is always lovely from lidl if you fancy that

Binglet Thu 13-Nov-14 16:25:58

Oooh thank you both!! I might just bite the bullet and pick something next time I'm there! fsmile

qazxc Thu 13-Nov-14 21:41:51

I've tried one of those birds in bird thingies in the past and it wasn't great.
Had some Aldi buck's fizz and it wasn't great either. The florentines though are gorgeous and highly addictive, lovely for a nibbly thing to go with after dinner coffee.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now