Talk

Advanced search

What to buy my 80 year old Nan?

(18 Posts)
WhoeverYouWantMeToBe Wed 12-Nov-14 11:34:31

She is early 80s and really difficult to buy for. She never really wants anything. Last year I put together a little hamper with chocolates, biscuits, posh tea bags, which went down really well. I would do a pampering version of this but I've done the hand cream/body butter etc to death in previous years! She likes her garden but arthritis means she now uses a gardener.

Any ideas?!

Prizepudding Wed 12-Nov-14 11:38:53

What about garden club membership like dobbies where you get free tea/coffee vouchers each month, our local garden centre also does it. Guess it depends if she gets out and about or if someone would be able to take her.

ThinkIveBeenHacked Wed 12-Nov-14 11:39:28

Does she have a favourite plant or flower? Could you maybe buy her a print in a frame of it?

GirlAnachronism Wed 12-Nov-14 11:42:23

what about a birdhouse for her garden, or a birdbath

BoreOfWhabylon Wed 12-Nov-14 11:45:02

Gave my 85 year old aunt a voucher for a mani/pedi at a local salon for her last birthday. She loved it.

Sukebind Wed 12-Nov-14 12:31:01

My dh's nana is in her 90s and lives in a small bungalow - she definitely doesn't need more stuff so get her an annual subscription to a magazine. That way she has it to look forward to each month and while good deals can be found on subscription the individual mags are pretty dear for a pensioner so it's a luxury she wouldn't otherwise treat herself to. I get a very small something for her to open at Christmas.

Ragwort Wed 12-Nov-14 12:38:50

Do you live near her? I think the nicest present is to take her out for tea/lunch/theatre - whatever you think she would enjoy with you.

I will never forget clearing out my DGM's house after she died, boxes and boxes of Christmas and birthday gifts - mainly nice toiletries, but also chocolates/biscuits etc (years out of date grin) .......... because although she always thanked her for those sorts of presents it was clearly stuff she just didn't want/need. sad.

My parents are in their 80s now and we have a firm agreement not to exchange presents ......... none of us need anything and we have a lovely meal out as a family to celebrate Christmas as well as the usual get-togethers in each others' homes. smile

florentina1 Wed 12-Nov-14 13:20:44

If your nan likes flowers how about a monthly delivery for her throughout the year from a local florist. My children did this for their nan. The florist delivered the ones that sit straight into a vase without her needing to arange them, as she has poor hand use. This was something she was able to look forward to all year.

PS. if any of my offspring are reading this, this is what I want

DaftMaul Wed 12-Nov-14 13:42:12

How about putting together a photo book of family photos? You could have some really old photos up to recent ones.

divabroad Wed 12-Nov-14 14:26:09

I like your idea florentina. There is bird feeder in Aldi for really great price.

HolgerDanske Wed 12-Nov-14 18:42:04

If the hamper worked out well last year I'd probably do the same again.

But the flowers sound good too, and the bird feeder (as long as she can see well enough to enjoy watching the birds)

BlueberryWafer Wed 12-Nov-14 18:45:50

Is there a magazine she would like a subscription to? This went down a treat with my Granny last year smile

Leeds2 Wed 12-Nov-14 18:46:19

I would redo the hamper, but with different things in it.

Also think bird feeder/table is a great idea, or a hedgehog house.

divabroad Wed 12-Nov-14 20:23:56

Would love to do hamper for my PILs in their 80's. Any inspirations welcome, I have no idea what to put together. Sorry for the hijack smile

notenoughtogoround Wed 12-Nov-14 20:34:09

Like suke and blueberry I've got my Nan a subscription to Woman's Weekly for the last couple of years. She loves it. In fact, last week she started the annual 'well, this might be the last few copies if I don't get it again next year'....smile

For her birthday we got her an afternoon tea and she really enjoyed it, and hand cream always seems to go down well.

TheRedQueen Wed 12-Nov-14 20:42:26

A book with pictures of the Queen throughout her reign. This has gone down well with the older relatives I have bought one for.

Alternatively, as she likes flowers, how about trying to source a rose of the same name as hers? Try David Austin Roses for example. IIRC you can search the website by name.

saintsandpoets Wed 12-Nov-14 20:45:11

My 82 year old gran had a birthday last week and I got her slippers from the White Company. They were lovely slippers, very nearly kept them for me.

BeaLola Wed 12-Nov-14 21:47:12

Depends what you want to spend but even though she has a gardener how about a planted arrangement of winter pansies, cyclamen or something? If she likes them indoor hyacinths which would give a beautiful scent. A subscription to a suitable magazine, BUT most of all I agree about taking her out etc and spending time with her assuming you have the time funds and inclination to do so. I wish I could do this. I do it with my Dad and really love it. If you could spend the time/ take her out perhaps different things eg one time trip to cinema, trip to a RHS type garden, afternoon tea etc.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now