Talk

Advanced search

Present ideas for couples (please)

(20 Posts)
newtonupontheheath Wed 12-Nov-14 08:28:58

Thanks to the power of mn I am almost finished for Christmas. We have decided not to buy friends who have children this year (mutual agreement) so only have a couple of couples to buy for-but I am stumped! Unless they will be happy with a frozen backpack or some finger lights grin

Please can we share some ideas?

Littlemousewithcloggson Wed 12-Nov-14 09:09:12

Not sure what your budget is but every couple we are buying for is being given meal vouchers from us. DN and boyfriend are getting pizza hut vouchers, aunt and uncle 3 course set menu voucher for local restaurant and grandparents voucher for afternoon tea at posh hotel. No clutter, no wrapping and they will love it.

coolaschmoola Wed 12-Nov-14 09:10:35

We're giving hampers from Fattoria La Vialla.

Littlemousewithcloggson Wed 12-Nov-14 09:10:52

And some friend couples are getting wine tasting evening vouchers!

EndoEndo Wed 12-Nov-14 09:12:33

Cinema vouchers so they can have a date night?

newtonupontheheath Wed 12-Nov-14 09:27:20

Oops sorry, budget is ideally less than £20.

I have done vouchers in the past, but will keep that as back up thanks

EndoEndo Wed 12-Nov-14 09:29:09

Something for the house? Smelly candle and a nice throw/blanket?

Littlemousewithcloggson Wed 12-Nov-14 10:09:08

DVD, popcorn and a bottle of wine for a night in?

ArcheryAnnie Wed 12-Nov-14 10:15:10

Posh food, like a good bottle of wine, a bottle of unusual rum, or Blue Mountain coffee, or beautiful teas, or something. Useful, something you wouldn't buy for yourself, and doesn't clutter up the place forever.

Spingley Wed 12-Nov-14 10:40:19

Something like this? Or see if you can get personalised ones, but they might cost a bit more than £20 depending on how long their names are! www.notonthehighstreet.com/lisaangelwedding/product/mr-mrs-moustache-mug

tess73 Wed 12-Nov-14 10:43:47

£20 on a couple, i would definitely go for nice bottle of wine, or a small food gift eg from Carluccio's

or maybe James Morton's Brilliant bread book and all the ingredients to make first loaf!

or a DVD, bag of popcorn, bottle of wine "night in" combo pack.

something like that... def not house clutter.

SuperFlyHigh Wed 12-Nov-14 11:13:30

Endo I often wonder about this...

for BIL and his wife I got separate presents last year but I've got glam candles (gold and black with ribbon small ones) for his wife, necklace for her and am planning to get BIL something separate. NEXT year it'll be a joint present.

for my DB and my SIL I always get separate presents unless its special... only because they have all the swish cinema yearly memberships etc..

SuperFlyHigh Wed 12-Nov-14 11:15:01

Tess your ideas are brilliant and what I will be earmarking for next year.

only thing is what do you get for a gourmet cook (BIL) and super trendy/arty wife of his??!! I'm stumped but they do love Carluccios... smile

newtonupontheheath Wed 12-Nov-14 11:26:06

Carluccios might be a good shout actually... The particular couple I'm struggling with- the male is a film buff so knows films (and goes to the cinema A LOT) and the female's brother has a bar and they indulge in naice wine too.... Gah! Why can't they have simple tastes?!

SuperFlyHigh Wed 12-Nov-14 13:18:46

newton your couple sounds like one of mine... I have no idea if BIL sneered at the foodie gifts I got him for his birthday last January... Spanish themed and naice from M&S and for his main Xmas present a gorgeous designer china travel mug as he travels to work by public transport and was short of money so could save on Starbucks plus naice gloves too.

i will just buy a couple gift next year and sod the single ones... They do both like pugs... My mum got them a pug calendar and I did get 1 iron on pug transfer in Accessorize sale but what would you put it on... hmmmm LOL.

574ejones Wed 12-Nov-14 14:50:45

It is pretty hobby specific, but I have done my DF and DSM a walking hamper with walking socks, hand warmers, Kendal mint cake and a nature calendar.

newtonupontheheath Wed 12-Nov-14 14:52:52

I feel by now I've done a lot of stuff for them... I've done "matching" thermos mugs, cat themed gifts (she hates cats grin) They have a dog but I've no idea what doggie things I could buy... Oh and he's a vegetarian!*

*I know this doesn't matter much, really, I'm just stropping!

ArcheryAnnie Thu 13-Nov-14 11:26:56

This looks nice: a boxed bottle of grappa with little choc cups to serve it in, and it's from Carluccios so they know you haven't got it down the offy. £20.

ArcheryAnnie Thu 13-Nov-14 11:27:17

Here's the link: www.carluccios.com/shop-online/item/grappa-e-bicchierini

vikjul Thu 13-Nov-14 12:11:45

Jaipur is a wonderful small card game for two, highly recommended!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now