Talk

Advanced search

Christmas - just us3

(6 Posts)
Reaching92 Tue 11-Nov-14 23:10:15

This year DH, ds (10) and I are on our own for Xmas, it's our first Xmas living where we do but also a bit sad due to wider family circumstances so want to keep it happy not all looking at each other and watching TV. Hotel lunch does not appeal. Any suggestions

schmeegle Wed 12-Nov-14 00:20:12

Are you generally the traditional type? Do you like cooking? Friends of mine were once away from home for Christmas and rather than do the usual they held a draw to see who got to decide starters/mains/dessert so essentially each person got to choose their very favourite food in the whole world for their particular course.

They ended up with a crazy eclectic menu that probably should never be eaten in the same sitting confused but they had a great laugh and it totally distracted them from any melancholy!

scurryfunge Wed 12-Nov-14 00:28:06

It's always been me, DH and DS for Christmas ( occasional year where one Granny drops by). We don't let tv dominate. We have fun, great food, great walks with dog and plenty of board games and just playing.

Reaching92 Wed 12-Nov-14 00:33:05

Schmeegle -good idea will suggest that DH v v good cook.

Scurryfunge - that's what we normally do but with Grandma and Grandad who can't be with us this year because of illness, admission to care home, also v often my bpdb and diss and their families who have a suite of other half of their families crisis to deal with. So unusual for us to be just 3 and was trying to think about making it a bit different so that DS does miss them all too much - he loves big family events

scurryfunge Wed 12-Nov-14 00:38:48

Although its at New Year, we Skype a family quiz. We are miles away from anyone else but join in ( and are always accused of cheating!). Could you meet up with other family members via t'internet and share celebrations?

Reaching92 Wed 12-Nov-14 00:48:13

That's a good idea - dobro is professional geek and quiz nerd so am sure he could sort. Ta

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now