Talk

Advanced search

6 month old first Christmas

(11 Posts)
SuzanneSays Tue 11-Nov-14 21:14:51

Any ideas for presents for her? My MIL thinks I am mean as said I wasn't really going to bother as she is so small and won't get that it's Xmas! Maybe I am a grinch!

ByTheWishingWell Tue 11-Nov-14 21:20:36

DD was 4 months old last Christmas, and we had heaps of toys for her (which she mostly ignored). We went for things that would last for years, so she'd be able to appreciate them, like the Beatrix Potter collection (which was on sale at The Book People for £30 at the time).

I can't remember everything, but she also got a personalised tree decoration, and the 'that's not my Santa' book, which she still loves.

It's nice to get a little token gift, but you're not being a grinch at all- he won't have a clue what's going on!

ByTheWishingWell Tue 11-Nov-14 21:21:20

*she, sorry!

LetticeKnollys Tue 11-Nov-14 21:26:19

It will be my DS's first Christmas too! Here are some of my ideas:

Teething things ('Sophie la girafe'?)
Weaning things
High Contrast Books
Books of faces (like 'Peekaboo Baby'
Really simple toys like a ball, blocks (at first you can build towers for her to knock down)
Easy to grasp maraccas/rattle
Loads of people have recommended Tomy 'hide n squeak eggs' to me!

BlueberryWafer Tue 11-Nov-14 21:29:26

Ds was 7 months last Christmas and we got him a few toys, some vests and clothes that he needed and some books. They get plenty from other family members and they really don't have a clue what's going on!

Showy Tue 11-Nov-14 21:33:08

For dd's first Christmas I bought her a night light. 7yrs later she still uses it. Plus some fabric books and some classics for later. That was it.

Barbeasty Tue 11-Nov-14 21:34:18

DD was exactly 6 months old on Christmas day. We got her stuff she might have been having anyway- plates, cutlery, tubs to take snacks out. I just got bits that were slightly nicer than I'd have got anyway. Perfect for weaning.

Clothes in the next size. A toy or two for photos so she sees she got stuff in a couple of years. Does she already have bedding for moving out of her cot/ sleeping bags? DVDs of TV programmes she likes (or which you want her to like!)

See it as a compromise- you don't buy anything extra, but by wrapping what you've bought anyway you keep MIL happy and have photos your DD can look back on.

ElphabaTheGreen Tue 11-Nov-14 21:35:44

We didn't get a thing for DS1 for his first Christmas when he was 7 months old - very glad we didn't because he was inundated by gifts from other family. We fully intend on getting exactly nothing for DS2 this year, when he will be four months old. Call me a grinch but they have no interest in it at all at that age and will have no recollection of the day, so I'd rather save the money for when they will appreciate it more.

SuzanneSays Fri 14-Nov-14 22:12:16

Thanks, I like the idea of getting weaning stuff and things I would need any way but just a bit nicer! Hopefully this will placate MIL!

ThinkIveBeenHacked Fri 14-Nov-14 22:14:28

Jumperoo?

Mrsgrumble Fri 14-Nov-14 22:35:39

I had a three month old las year and bought lullaby CDs and wrapped up cute bowls for later on while weaning, a singing bear etc.

I would definitely get mega blocks etc and musical instruments, that's not my ... Books as you will get great use from them

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now