Talk

Advanced search

Multcoloured or White lights on Christmas tree?

(101 Posts)
Housesoftheholy Tue 11-Nov-14 06:43:25

What do you prefer?

Last year we had white which I thought I prefered but I felt maybe it didn't feel as fun or cosy?

RudyMentary Tue 11-Nov-14 06:46:35

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

NorwaySpruce Tue 11-Nov-14 06:48:59

Multicoloured, with filament bulbs.

LED coloured lights just don't cut it. fgrin

catseyes10 Tue 11-Nov-14 06:49:32

I know it might sound a bit snobby, but I really really hate coloured lights.

Ladymoods Tue 11-Nov-14 06:49:54

Multicoloured every time. I know people think they are naff but balls to them and their dull, colourless lights and one colour themed trees!

Methe Tue 11-Nov-14 06:51:27

They must be multicoloured with proper bulbs in my tree but I do think white look nice.

The only ones I don't like are the blue led ones.. Horrible!

IndiansInTheLobby Tue 11-Nov-14 06:52:08

White for me but my tree is far from classy. It has a 3 legged pig on it.

HolgerDanske Tue 11-Nov-14 06:52:56

Mine are always warm white.

bigbluestars Tue 11-Nov-14 06:56:13

Multicoloured. For the same reason that a fireworks display would be a little dull if all the fireworks were white.

Twinklestar2 Tue 11-Nov-14 06:58:24

White and twinkly

turkeyboots Tue 11-Nov-14 06:59:53

Both. I love both.

LumpySpacedPrincess Tue 11-Nov-14 07:01:46

Both grin

Dd has coloured, I have white, 2 trees is the way forward people.

fairnotfair Tue 11-Nov-14 07:02:59

I always thought I preferred white, but I find myself strangely drawn to these you can take the child out of the 70s, but you can't take the 70s out of the child

EhricLovesTheBhrothers Tue 11-Nov-14 07:04:02

Either can look lovely. I don't like themed trees though, so if I have white lights I'm having all kinds of naff sparkly crap as well.
Actually I think I prefer coloured lights on the tree and white lights around the window.

DreamsOfFreddieInTheNight Tue 11-Nov-14 07:06:35

Multicolored - not led type. 600 on mine!

Have tried white and it's just not right, although most people I know have white.

Totally agree with methe about the horror that is blue led lights on a tree. So very wrong. Kebab shop style.

MillieMoodle Tue 11-Nov-14 07:06:47

White lights on the tree but coloured lights round the windows and on the fibre optic tree in another room. I love all that is tacky about Christmas grin

EugenesAxe Tue 11-Nov-14 07:12:03

I think both are great. My parents have one of the classiest trees I know (my Dad worked for a pinetum and gets a beautifully spacious blue spruce-type thing each year) and they have multicoloured lights with predominantly wooden hanging ornaments. I think to say only white lights cut it is a bit snobby TBH.

Although in a massive pot/kettle moment on my part, I do sniff a bit at fake trees and those with tinsel/flik flack type stuff. Although saying that I can think of a few trees with modest bling that have been alright.

I happen to have white lights that I've fixed multicoloured Thai mini paper lanterns onto (didn't want to risk using the set of lights I bought them on...).

Housesoftheholy Tue 11-Nov-14 07:29:06

So many great replies thanks! I'm swinging towards multicoloured.

Lots saying led not good. Why is that?

LegoCaltrops Tue 11-Nov-14 07:33:51

White. Twinkling ok, but always white. Something has to offset the hideous decorations DH insists we have, that he treasures from when he was a child! DD will start bringing things home from nursery soon, I'm doomed to never have a nice tree. grin

HolgerDanske Tue 11-Nov-14 08:05:05

I prefer the white because I think it looks better. I can appreciate multicoloured lights on others' trees but for me it's always white. Firstly because it brings to mind Christmases at home in Denmark and real candles on the trees, but also because I find it calming, cosy and peaceful.

poolomoomon Tue 11-Nov-14 08:07:57

Always white here too. Went for multicoloured one year to please DH and it looked awful, never again. I find them really calming, multicoloured ones are too in your face.

SeeChooJimmy Tue 11-Nov-14 08:13:41

White.... only white. Personally I find the coloured one's taky. My hatred for colored light's however is not as strong as that for bloody tinsel grin

Methe Tue 11-Nov-14 08:15:40

Oh I love tinsel!

MissClemencyTrevanion Tue 11-Nov-14 08:16:26

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

HolgerDanske Tue 11-Nov-14 08:17:37

See I can fully appreciate tinsel with the right scheme, even though I don't use it myself. I love it for its lustre and sparkle on a 'busy' handmade and eclectic tree, like the one Kirstie did on handmade christmas a few years ago. But again, it's fine for other people but doesn't feel right when I've tried it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now