Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

What to get 3 year old boy?

(25 Posts)
ChuckNovice Mon 10-Nov-14 18:45:06

Doesn't have to be boyish. So far just have pyjamas, some new books, snap cards and maybe some lego juniors.

He has tons of Happy land which we got passed on and in a charity shop.

Has a scooter and a balance bike.

Has started a lego collection but is still a bit little.

Any other ideas?

He'd be happy with anything but don't just want to buy tat for the sake of it and also want him to have some nice things to open. He has a 1 year old sister which things can be passed onto or shared.

He also has a kitchen.

Space is limited.

Was thinking of doing PJ'S and dvd and book for Christmas eve but then won't have much for the next day.

TwelveLeggedWalk Mon 10-Nov-14 18:50:30

3yo boy here lives for his train set (bits of Brio, bits of Bigjigs, bits of Ikea). Also adores his Brio crane, and Imaginext deep sea boat (actually I do too, it is an epic toy).

Vet kit, easel, farm, and fire engine also well played with yes he has too many toys, but he also has to share with DDT

Am planning on getting a marble run for Christmas.

MissLurkalot Mon 10-Nov-14 19:01:09

Vtech toot toot Parking tower and cars

LlamaLover Mon 10-Nov-14 19:04:30

I'm the proud owner of a 3 year old about to turn 4 year old.

He loves wooden train stuff as above and also die cast cars. You can also often pick these up on charity shops.

He also likes his rubbish truck and car trailer.

For non wheeled toys (!) he likes bongo drums, pretend laptop, puppets and cuddly toys.

He got a balance bike this summer and loves that too.

schmeegle Mon 10-Nov-14 19:09:42

I second the wooden train set. Played with every single day in this house. Also have a mixture of brands and I can't tell the difference between them anymore so I wouldn't go spending crazy money on the dearer brands.

Also have marble run, needs alot more parental supervision than the train set obviously but great all the same.

ChuckNovice Mon 10-Nov-14 19:09:46

He has a wooden train set he got that last year from someone. His sister got the toot toot parking tower for her birthday although he probably thinks it's his. Hmm. Maybe I'll just have to stick with small things. Thanks for all the ideas.

ipswichwitch Mon 10-Nov-14 19:11:20

3yo DS is getting the Leappad and a couple of games, Jake and the Neverland Pirates boat and island and some Thomas Take and Play stuff (he absolutely loves this). The Thomas stuff is great as it folds up a bit and he can take it with him, plus the sets all add together. It's my brothers thing to buy him!

strawberrypenguin Mon 10-Nov-14 19:16:09

What about a doctors set? My 3 to loves his and can spend ages playing with it and giving his toys 'medicine'

BrieAndChilli Mon 10-Nov-14 19:27:49

Ds2 age 3 is obsessed with thomas tank and loves his wooden railway.
Other things he plays with are his bob builder toys, fireman Sam toys, octonaut toys (which are fab as can go in bath aswell) toy cars, duplo etc

Imaginext stuff, I got DS batman stuff but they do various stuff from castles to boats, but do shop around as it varies in prices

addictedtosugar Mon 10-Nov-14 20:04:42

More little bits, but DS2 (who is 3.6), loves this jigsaw and a pairs matching game

Also, train set, lego, colouring, bucket of dinosaurs and fake hot wheels track

Sootgremlin Mon 10-Nov-14 23:31:49

Playmobil? My 3 year old has the recycling truck and he is about to get the camper van and tent set for Christmas. These reflect his particular interests smile

Also he has expressed interest in the police sets so may get some of that with money from Grandparents.

He is also getting some Octonauts stuff as they are his main thing at the moment.

Cooki3Monst3r Mon 10-Nov-14 23:36:30

My 3yo DS is getting a wooden farm, although I am regretting this due to issues of space (lack of)!

He'd be more than happy with some toy lorries!

He's still on Duplo and is getting the new set of duplo cars, which look awesome as you can change them in to dozens and dozens of different designs (i'm very excited about this!).

Also, I 2nd the playmobile 123 range. My DS has the aeroplane which he really loves playing with. They do a dumper truck and airport shuttle bus I know he'd love.

Am really regretting the farm idea.... oh shit. confused

GinIsCalling Mon 10-Nov-14 23:48:24

My DS, also three, is getting Magna-Tiles, which he plays with at pre-school and adores. I also like playing with them, which is what convinced me as they are pricy. They are his big gift from grandma, and we are simply buying the little stocking fillers from Santa, and some Wellies from us as that's what he wants.
I've done an amazon wishlist for family (aunties, god parents etc) with lots of books, some games like hungry hippos and small bits of Lego Juniors (although to be honest he has a couple of bits of this and will only be mildly excited to get more).
I think that's enough to be honest, like you we also have the wooden train set, wooden kitchen, musical instruments, dinosaurs etc as have all been handed down by older cousins.
The other thing I know he would love that is a bit cheaper is one of those Hot Wheels kits where the cars go round in loops. An older cousin has one and he adores it. We could get that as well as the wellies I suppose, but I'm keen not to overdo it this year and set super high expectations. Might just stick some hot wheel cars in his stocking instead.

GinIsCalling Mon 10-Nov-14 23:55:40

I just added the Brio Crane to his wishlist and took off some of the lego, thanks to Twelve

ScrabbledLeggsAndToes Tue 11-Nov-14 16:11:34

Saxoflute - Although only if you don't mind noisy toys!
John Deere Store and Carry Case - Tractor with a little farm inside (£15 on Amazon)
Dressing up outfits - Home Bargains sell some nice ones that are quite cheap too.

ChuckNovice Tue 11-Nov-14 22:02:32

Some great ideas here. Definitely gonna add some of these to my list. Thanks all.

Emmiedarling Tue 11-Nov-14 22:23:42

I am so sorry for jumping onto this thread. Hoping you don't mind ChuckNovice. I wondered if anyone was thinking of some sort of tablet leap froggie type thing? Not seen one mentioned yet? Was thinking it might be an idea but don't know much about them...

Sootgremlin Tue 11-Nov-14 22:36:21

I'm holding off from tablets for a while longer. I'm not against them but I'm not rushing into that stage when he doesn't know about them. I want to keep him excited about regular toys as long as possible.

My ds has the odd play on our Ipad, usually cbeebies things but it is very occasional.

Having seen the innotab I'm not sure how much longevity they have and whether you'd just be going for a real tablet in due course anyway, Hudl etc. And in the meantime the apps I can get for him on my device are probably better than the cartridge games.

So I don't know really, not helpful, pondering it all myself grin

ChuckNovice Tue 11-Nov-14 22:37:22

Don't worry Emmie I was wondering about them too. Are they any good?

Cooki3Monst3r Tue 11-Nov-14 22:50:50

In my experience Emmie those laptop type toys are a waste of money. We've got both a leap frog alphabet thing and a vtech laptop. Both incorrectly handle the phonic sounds and use the letter names, which is very unhelpful for UK children who go to school learning pure phonics. Also I find the children just don't play with them very much. They definitely prefer toys that need a bit of imagination put in to them.

Agree with cooki3 about the Vtech laptop as DS has it, its one of those waste of money toys

Orchard board games are good, my DS loves monster bingo and shopping list

shadesofwinter Tue 11-Nov-14 23:13:06

My 3 year old girl loves Orchard toys too - Where's my Cupcake, Scaredy Cat and Dotty Dinosaurs get played a lot with us

ChuckNovice Wed 12-Nov-14 09:50:36

Ahh great I already had the shopping list on my list. Thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now