Talk

Advanced search

Neighbourhood Christmas drinks

(7 Posts)
pigleychez Sun 09-Nov-14 21:50:36

We are new to the area and would like to do Christmas drinks/nibbles one evening to get to know a few of the neighbours better.

Part of me thinks it will be lovely but another part is worried no one will come and i'll be left looking stupid! Would you go if invited??

How do I word the invite? I don't want to be too formal

any help would be great.

ZeViteVitchofCwismas Sun 09-Nov-14 21:54:14

I think its a lovely idea.

I would also like to host drinks but am too nervous.

But even if one person came thats one person you would know a little better....

Something like, please join us for drink on and meet some neighbours ( maybe they all dont know each other either?

Vijac Sun 09-Nov-14 22:00:42

I think it's a great idea but I would invite in person. I think people are much more likely to come if they've spoken to you or know someone else who's going. If they just get snore through the door then they may think everyone else will know each other and that they're just an add on.

legoqueen Sun 09-Nov-14 22:02:40

I think it's a great idea too - we did it two years ago & it was very enjoyable so are doing it again this year! My tips are: choose a date where people are more likely to be free ie not Xmas eve, choose a time slot which still enables them to go on to a party or to dinner, make it clear whether DCs are invited too! & invitea few other friends so that it's less contrived. I've had invitations printed online. Hope you do it & it goes well - we got to know our neighbours much better so definitely reaped the benefits...

Warmandtoasty Sun 09-Nov-14 22:09:30

Sounds lovely, we are moving just before Christmas and if I was invited to something like this I would definitely go, I think I'd prefer an invite in person though I would probably be too shy to just turn up if I had never spoken to them before. Wish I had the confidence to do something like this

pigleychez Sun 09-Nov-14 22:29:06

We actually moved in last year 2 weeks before Christmas so no time to do anything last year. We had thought of doing a summer BBQ but we've been full on decorating and the summer just seemed to disappear!

I know the next door neighbour really well and know a few others to nod/ say hi to if we see them out the front. We have taken parcels in for others that have pleasant enough to talk to so we wont all be complete strangers.

Glad to hear others have done similar and its been well received. fgrin

KnackeredMuchly Sun 09-Nov-14 22:36:38

Aome family mwmbers did it - just made it a big free for all so family friends and neighbours were invited

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now