Talk

Advanced search

Picture books for 5 year olds...

(14 Posts)
Biggamehunter Sun 09-Nov-14 18:07:15

Ds has some chapter books which he enjoys but he still likes the picture books and can now read some himself where chapter books are obviously still a while away.

Any suggestions for nice picture books which aren't too simple? A lot of them now seem a bit too young. He loves all the Mog ones and they seem to have about the right about of text for him to read and he still uses picture clues and likes to look at the illustrations.
It's a tricky stage.

Leeds2 Sun 09-Nov-14 18:13:21

Aliens Love Underpants.

Dr Seuss Books.

The "scary" books by Janet and Phillip Ahlberg. Can't think of the titles (one is about a pet shop? and I think one is called Funnybones), but they all have black covers anpictures of skeletons on the front.

Asleeponasunbeam Sun 09-Nov-14 18:20:24

I'm a big fan of picture books for school age children and think it's really silly when parents try to claim their child has 'outgrown' them when actually they're not even at an age to properly understand them.

We love Oliver Jeffers' books, Elmer, Frances (American series), lots of Dr Seuss, Pass the Jam, Jim and lots more.

DD does like longer chapter books being read to her too, but picture books are really important for developing comprehension, story structure, inference and other crucial literacy skills.

Asleeponasunbeam Sun 09-Nov-14 18:21:25

YY to Funnybones and the aliens books.

Pancakeflipper Sun 09-Nov-14 18:25:40

The David Walliams one - The Slightly Annoying Elephant amuses my DS2. The pictures are great. Very funny. Think he's brought out a new one.

Another fav is The Bears Picnic by Stan Berenstain and the Diggiest Dog in the World.

Biggamehunter Sun 09-Nov-14 18:29:43

Thanks!
We don't have any Dr Seuss. We have the aliens ones and funnybones.
Will look at david Walliams too.

Ds loves loves loves the day the crayons quit. Again it seems about the right level of difficulty.

WhatWouldTheDoctorDo Sun 09-Nov-14 18:42:22

Manfred the baddy
Captain Flynn & the Pirate Dinosaurs
Winnie the Witch (colour picture books version)
Flat Stanley (there are colour picture early reader versions)
The Pirates next door

I've a 6 year old DS so was in a similar situation last year!

WhatWouldTheDoctorDo Sun 09-Nov-14 18:44:09

The early reader series is worth a look generally, as is the banana book series - nice colour illustrations. DS also likes mr crookodile.

PesoPenguin Sun 09-Nov-14 18:45:15

Ds loves Barry the Fish with Fingers and other books by that author. And I love them too! They really encourage reading with expression.

The Elmer series are lovely too. His most favourite books though are the ladybird set on the book people ( £35 for 50 books) they're even banded like school books (blue to white) but DS still enjoys all the books and will read several and still ask for more! He also likes to read the Horrid Henry early readers which are longer but still have pictures.

PesoPenguin Sun 09-Nov-14 18:46:52

Ooh yes Banana books are good, we get them from the library.

iwantavuvezela Sun 09-Nov-14 18:47:03

Try the Claude books, they are brilliant to read alone or be read to.

Krytes42 Tue 11-Nov-14 03:04:47

The Elephant and Piggy series of early readers. They're full of humour and very fun to read.

eastmidswarwicknightnanny Tue 11-Nov-14 07:14:43

My 4yr old loves Barry fish with fingers set of books n also the aliens underpants books collection.

We also have Julia Donaldson phonics set of books which he enjoys.

We usually let him chose 4 New books each time we go to the works on 4 for £5 always find some new fun books.

Artandco Tue 11-Nov-14 07:25:06

Longer books, but the roald Dahl ones do a 'kids' version of all the main books which are bigger ( about a4 size), and have a picture every other page kind of thing.

Might be a bit too long alone now but can help him now and he can do a bit himself and see the pictures. And will last much longer as a longer story ( chapter style still)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now