Talk

Advanced search

Sewing/craft kit for 8 year old

(11 Posts)
marne2 Sun 09-Nov-14 17:51:22

Dd2 keeps asking to do sewing she is 8 years old but has ASD and can't really be trusted with real needles so we need something maybe aimed at younger children. Do they still do those kits with plastic type needles that are not sharp? If so where can I buy one?

SylvaniansKeepGettingHoovered Sun 09-Nov-14 18:15:58

Yes you can still get the ones with plastic needles, Hobbycraft sell them, DD used to love them

marne2 Sun 09-Nov-14 18:22:58

Thank you, I will take a trip to hobby craft.

clr2014 Sun 09-Nov-14 19:13:51

Have a look at sew cool as well...

Bluegill Sun 09-Nov-14 19:19:50

You could make your own. Fill a glass jar up with buttons, thread, pretty bits of fabric, measuring tape etc and print off a personalised label or draw something pretty on the jar and tie with ribbon. I love home made gifts.

ipswichwitch Sun 09-Nov-14 19:21:18

The big tesco near us does them - age on the box is 3+ so I assume it's a plastic needle inside.

marne2 Sun 09-Nov-14 19:31:28

I was thinking of getting the 'sew cool' but I have bought her main present already so would ideally like a few small kits to go in her stocking. I have a sewing machine that she is itching to use ( even though she struggles with the sound of it ) but I would like to show her how to sew by hand first.

nic013 Sun 09-Nov-14 19:47:20

Wilkos do some good sewing kits with plastic needles. I like the idea of making up your own ones, bluegill. Cross stitch fabric is good for the plastic needles

Caramelkate Sun 09-Nov-14 21:53:04

My daughter has ASD and loved to see but she used to find the plastic needles very frustrating which really put her off. She had an electric sewing machine at 9 and loves to make cushion covers now. If she using ready, would weaving be a good alternative? It has the repetitive action and is still like sewing. My dd loves it.

marne2 Sun 09-Nov-14 21:58:10

Wee ins a great idea, she does get very frustrated if she doesn't master things straight away so I think things like cross stitch would be a no no ( if she did a stitch wrong it would be the end of the world ).

marne2 Sun 09-Nov-14 21:58:23

Weaving

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now