Talk

Advanced search

Where to go on Christmas Eve?

(14 Posts)
vestandknickers Sun 09-Nov-14 13:52:30

I'd really like to take my children (twins age 9 and one age 7) for a treat on Christmas Eve.

The day can drag a bit otherwise because they are SO excited. I was thinking of Drusillas (their favourite day out) but have now found out it is closed on Christmas Eve.

Anyone got any ideas? I live in West Sussex. Surrey, Sussex, Kent or London ideally. Don't want t spend a fortune, but want it to be a really fun day.

We liked going to the cinema on Christmas Eve, when the dds were younger. It was always virtually empty, there is generally a Christmassy film of some sort showing, and we'd have either breakfast or lunch out, or hot chocolates and cakes. Was always really nice.

nancy75 Sun 09-Nov-14 13:59:16

We always go to the south bank on xmas eve, have pizza and a walk around the xmas market

Ooh, I will be watching for ideas! Last year we ended up in a very uninspiring generic play centre. blush The DCs were just SO EXCITED and we needed a break, so "off you go and play while Dad and I read the paper!" grin

This year I'd like to put a little more thought/effort into how we spend it.

ZeViteVitchofCwismas Sun 09-Nov-14 14:08:57

Have you got any small local little theatres doing quirky stuff, last year one of our locals did a fab show of the Snow Queen....short for children and in expensive.

This year I have splashed out for the Nutcracker at the collesium, for me and DD, I want to be in London as its always been a bit flat on xmas eve...so I want London Buzz...we will probably hang round covent garden after.

I think southbank is a lovely idea too, and if you check out time out there are tons of magical puppet christmas shows, little shows etc...then have a wander round...

I would however avoid hyde park WW like the PLAGUE.

That sounds AMAZING ZeVite! I wish I were near a bigger city/London around Christmas time as I love the London Buzz. Sadly we're in boring ol' Devon where practically everything shuts down on Xmas Eve.

Good ideas for the OP, though.

ZeViteVitchofCwismas Sun 09-Nov-14 14:14:37

saga

In my town everything is shut too. and we went to a miserable carol service.

dh usually works as well, so I am traipsing round alone with dc....NOT THIS YEAR!

Check out little local theatres, I am sure there would be something in your vicinity...

Good idea, will do that, thanks!

Floralnomad Sun 09-Nov-14 14:19:38

How about the reindeer centre in Kent .

MeganChips Sun 09-Nov-14 14:26:44

How about Brighton - lunch followed by ice skating at The Pavillion?

vestandknickers Sun 09-Nov-14 14:28:09

Thank you everyone.

Actually had been thinking about doing the Southbank markets earlier in December, but saving them until Christmas Eve is a great idea.

Will also check out what's on at the cinema.

this is a great place for anyone else looking for ideas. We've done it to death though and looking for new ideas. I didn't know there was one in Kent too.

I was just coming back to say I've looked up local events in my area and a local venue is doing ice skating this year! I think we'll do that followed by a pub lunch at the lovely pub next door to the venue.

vestandknickers Sun 09-Nov-14 14:32:51

I have looked at the skating rink at Brighton Pavilion and I think we have a winner!!

Looks amazing.

Fish and chips on the pier afterwards.

Job done!

Thank you.

Will continue to check out ideas, but feeling very excited about this plan.

Ha, vest I'm excited, too! I've never been before.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now