Talk

Advanced search

non-chocolate/sweet pocket advent calendar ideas?

(19 Posts)
SkullytonFlowers Sun 09-Nov-14 10:07:31

Ds has SN, as such, he doesn't eat chocolate or sweets, so usually we buy him an advent calendar without the chocolate, just a door to open.

over the years i've tried the chalkboards, blocks with numbers..etc. The lego ones are no good as we've nowhere to put it it.

This year we're trying one of those pocket ones, but i'm stumped at what to put IN the pockets.. feels a bit lame putting a biscuit in there.

If you have one of these, what do you put in it?

noblegiraffe Sun 09-Nov-14 10:20:57

If he likes biscuits then what's the problem with putting a biscuit in there? What else does he like? Stickers? You'd have to be careful not to fill it with party bag tat I think.

My DS doesn't like chocolate or sweets but loves the Where's Wally advent calendar which has a different person to find each day.

AbneyorTeal Sun 09-Nov-14 10:44:12

I did one of these last year for my 2 year old. Some days she got a biscuit in it. Some days a little toy (I confess, sometimes it was a toy she already had). Some days I put in notes with an activity we were going to do (bake biscuits or put Christmas trees up). I think this year I might put some stickers in.

But if he likes a biscuit, put a biscuit in.

everydayaschoolday Sun 09-Nov-14 10:54:37

I asked this (excellent!) question a few years ago and got lots of really good replies which I think might help you. Here's the link if you'd want to have a look smile :

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/Christmas/1543655-Small-gifts-to-fit-inside-Wooden-Advent-calendar-ideas-needed-please

Moominmarvellous Sun 09-Nov-14 14:16:16

www.yellowmoon.org.uk/christmas/christmas-stocking-fillers

I love this place for advent calendar toys. DD & DS have advent drawers so I'm always hunting for things to go in them. These things are mainly sold in multiple packs, so I just box the extras away for next year.

Favourites have been, finger tattoos, punch balloons, and the little sticky wall climbers (which were less popular with me!). They do loads!

jThompson Sun 09-Nov-14 14:23:08

I've done activities in previous years. Mostly things we would do anyway, going to the school fair, baking, delivering a hamper to DHs gran. I tend to put the notes in the night before so I've got a good idea of how possible each one is.

This year I'm thinking about jokes, have found some nice printable ones around to go in crackers which I think will work. The kids are so busy at the end of term we don't have time to do much.

ScrabbledLeggsAndToes Sun 09-Nov-14 14:49:25

There is a thread, which might help if you are looking for ideas for activities. It is called:-

Ooh,look what I found! Suggestions for little gifts for all of us please smile

I can't link to it because I am on my phone, I will bump it for you though,

Hthsmile

Everythingwillbeok Sun 09-Nov-14 20:15:41

The last 3 years I've bought lego friends but wanted a change this year so gone for a nutcracker advent calendar that's more like a jewellery box it has the bracelet as the gift in dec 1st then a charm in every day up until Christmas Day.Its not cheap at £20 but the same as the lego one and is a bit different and very pretty

LikeASoulWithoutAMind Sun 09-Nov-14 20:19:25

We do activities too like jThompson - some are as simple as watch a Christmas movie. Others are things we do anyway - decorate the Christmas tree etc. It's become a nice tradition that has evolved as the dcs have got older and I will be really sad when they don't want to do it any more (have a feeling that will be quite soon sad )

thatwouldbeanecumenicalmatter Sun 09-Nov-14 20:41:16

What about semi precious stones? Obviously a no-no if he's young, but you can get a bag of them from Amazon and put one in each day (with print out of name, description, again depending on how old he is) so he has full collection at Christmas.

Also Christmas biscuit cutters, an ornament to put on the tree or one of those little expandable flannels/sponges.

Also your idea of putting in a joke is great - I'm borrowing that idea for my DC if you don't mind! grin

Biscuits is fine, I'm going to put some in mine.

Lovelydiscusfish Sun 09-Nov-14 21:56:05

Tiny items of stationary, like little novelty rubbers, pencil sharpeners etc? Wilkos do tonnes of this stuff for virtually no money - for example a pack of 3 dice shaped erasers (the size of usual dice in board games) which my dd became very obsessed with owning for many months. I caved and got her them before Christmas, which is a shame because they'd have been perfect for her wooden drawer advent calendar.
Biscuits are great too! Personally I'd love getting one of my fave biscuits every morning throughout advent!

RiseAndWhine Sun 09-Nov-14 22:00:41

Another option is to put a piece of paper in each box with a clue as to where that days advent surprise is, that way it can lead to an activity, craft, gift, biscuit or book or whatever. This 'surprise' is best done each night otherwise he might find a surprise intended for a different day.

AcheyJakey Sun 09-Nov-14 23:07:03

How old is he? If he still believes in Santa then may be use RisesndWhines idea with a clue? Kids love clues. And maybe leading to a book or these elf letters with news from the North Post?

AcheyJakey Sun 09-Nov-14 23:07:39

Pole obv

SkullytonFlowers Sun 09-Nov-14 23:15:50

he's 8 and hovering on the not believing line.

SkullytonFlowers Sun 09-Nov-14 23:18:18

and thank you all for the ideas, do keep them coming.

anything baking/food related is out, as are a lot of crafty things due to his SEN (dyspraxia and SPD)

The only reason i dont want to do the biscuits is because he has them every day anyway, stuffing one in a pocket wouldnt be special iyswim.

i quite like the idea i saw on a other thread of a raffle ticket and a box of odds and ends for him to rummage and redeem the ticket for!

AcheyJakey Sun 09-Nov-14 23:22:32

Yes that's a great party game too!

UniS Sun 09-Nov-14 23:26:21

marbles
biscuits
stickers
savoury snacks
sachets of hot choc
badges
glow sticks
temporary tattoos
tree decorations
pencils

can be all sorts of things, doesn't have to be 24 identical things.

Last year DS had a mix of sweets, lego mini figs or "special " bits of lego ( 2nd hand job lot) , treasure hunt clues ( to find mini figs...) and one of two mini tolos I picked up over the year.

waithorse Mon 10-Nov-14 06:45:58

I also put a coin in one day, real money is exciting. 20p, 50p coin, a £1 if I'm feeling generous.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now