Talk

Advanced search

Hamper & other Ideas for aunt with ASD

(8 Posts)
HangingInAGruffaloStance Sun 09-Nov-14 09:53:47

I am making a hamper for my aunt who is in her seventies and has a lot of food sensitivities/fixed food preferences (not allergies, likely Aspergers related). She only eats food which requires no preparation. She also doesn't like things which have to be stored in the fridge after opening.

She likes dark chocolate biscuits so I'll get some of those, as well as nice instant coffee. Looking for more ideas for no prep, easy store items. Doesn't have to be traditional. She likes olives and other pickled things but wouldn't like an open jar of them. Can you get individual packs?

Want to do something she will enjoy as she is lovely and generous but having quite fixed habits and interests, as well as hoarding issues, is a nightmare to buy for!

any other gift inspiration also gratefully received. She doesn't like fuss or social contact with people she doesn't know (so no haircuts, beauty treatments etc), doesn't wear jewellery and always wears the same clothes (have replaced a jumper for her birthday). Has excessive ornaments, which stresses her. So not the easiest to buy for grin

Vitalstatistix Sun 09-Nov-14 10:00:59

would she like those graze boxes, if you set preferences to things you know she likes? So a 12 month subscription so she can get a snack box delivered every week/fortnight/month for a year?

KnackeredMuchly Sun 09-Nov-14 10:08:13

Chocolate brownies last well. If you dont want to make them Tesco sell Thorntons mini brownie bites, and small millionaire shortbread - they are both lovely.

To be honest, might it be easier to get her another gift like a magazine subscription?

A tin of honey nut cashews? (My favourite. ..)

jThompson Sun 09-Nov-14 11:06:41

Tesco have small packs of olives, still perhaps two servings but a lot less tha n a whole jar. There are a few different varieties. m.tesco.com/h5/groceries/r/www.tesco.com/groceries/product/details/?id=258098908.

We usually add a few pots of the fruit in jelly for my gran.

Jacobs oddities and Ritz both have single serving packs of crackers.

Tesco also have small panatoni and mini stollen for something seasonal.

HangingInAGruffaloStance Sun 09-Nov-14 12:02:04

Lots of great ideas, thanks. The Graze boxes look too healthy for my aunt's tastesgrin, but think I might bet them for my DB. Will definitely get the thorntons bites, and mini fruit pots, and check out the olive packs. Feeling better about the plan now!

HangingInAGruffaloStance Sun 09-Nov-14 12:02:49

And the Ritz crackers! Forgot she used to live in these when I was wee.

KnackeredMuchly Sun 09-Nov-14 13:27:38

Would it be too childish to get her the individual cereal box selection?

www.tesco.com/groceries/product/details/?id=255012929

Slippers
Gloves

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now