Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

to ask how you fix your stockings to the mantelpiece?

(29 Posts)
Wolfbasher Sat 08-Nov-14 13:41:09

I like the idea of hanging stockings on the mantelpiece. But how do you do it?

NancyRaygun Sat 08-Nov-14 13:46:38

There are some special weights with hooks you can buy especially for this purpose, or just hammer a nail in?

poolomoomon Sat 08-Nov-14 14:01:50

Hammer a nail in.

BackforGood Sat 08-Nov-14 14:07:10

Our dc have always had their stockings at the end of the bed - gives you a few minutes more asleep while they investigate them on Christmas morning. People I know that have a stocking on the mantlepiece only have it as a decorative thing, not needing to hold anything in it, so you can just balance the end under the clock or ornament or vase that's on there.

OnlyTheWelshCanCwtch Sat 08-Nov-14 14:08:49

Cup hooks screwed into the underside then removed when decs go away

Hoggle246 Sat 08-Nov-14 14:12:34

We've just bought some proper stocking hooks from Selfridges - not our usual shop of choice (ha!) but was the best result that came up on google. If you google 'Selfridges stocking hooks' they should come up, there are a few options. Ones we went for were £19 for 4 I think, which was much cheaper than the ones I'd seen in garden centre Xmas depts etc. Ho ho ho!

thegreylady Sat 08-Nov-14 14:12:51

Hang the empty stockings using an ornament to weight the top then put filled stockings either on child's bed (preferred) or by the hearth. If you go to Amazon and search Christmas stocking hooks there are some there but we just use whatever is handy smile

catseyes10 Sat 08-Nov-14 14:13:16

You can buy stocking clips that hook over the mantlepiece and save you hammering nails in. Have a look on eBay.

brainfidget Sat 08-Nov-14 14:19:20

Brass screw-in cup hooks - they can be removed after Xmas, and the same screw holes used the year after. And the holes not visible the rest of the year. Assuming you have a wooden mantle.

meoverhere Sat 08-Nov-14 14:21:44

These

They're very good.

skylark2 Sat 08-Nov-14 14:22:19

We lie them on the hearthrug in front of the stove when kids go to bed.

DD was hysterical at 2 1/2 at the suggestion that a strange man would come in her room when she was asleep. We've never had stockings in rooms as a result. Far easier anyway - they don't get woken up!

I wouldn't hang heavy filled stockings on a mantelpiece unless you are VERY certain of how it's fastened to the wall.

KitCat26 Sat 08-Nov-14 14:24:10

End of the bed here, but we do put tiny stockings in front of the fire. We use drawing pins to hang them from the wooden fire screen. Its a 1970s house so there is no mantel piece or fire surround.

IfNotNowThenWhen Sat 08-Nov-14 14:25:49

You don't. Unless you are American. They go at the end of the bed. You're welcome.

erin99 Sat 08-Nov-14 14:27:26

Our mantelpiece is limestone. We sellotape on the empty stockings, and father christmas leaves them full on the hearth.

DamselNotInHerDress Sat 08-Nov-14 14:27:56

Oh I do wish we'd started just leaving them downstairs, I feel sick when i have to go in to their rooms to sort their stockings out!
But I do remember that lovely feeling of waking up and having a heavy rustle stocking by my feet on Christmas morning, so it's nearly worth it.
We use our fireplace though, so I wouldn't want anything dangling down in front of it just in case.

erin99 Sat 08-Nov-14 14:52:47

Damsel I remember that too... Until the year I woke up and found FC had not only brought me no presents, but he'd nicked my stocking! Turns out he had inexplicably moved it outside my bedroom door overnight, but I didn't think to look there until after much wailing and sobbing. Don't know what on earth he was thinking.

As a result, our DC have downstairs stockings only. I'm scarred for life I reckon blush

AliceDoesntLiveHereAnymore Sat 08-Nov-14 15:31:50

If you have bought stockings, just buy two of each. Put an empty one by the bed, and then have the identical one that you fill in another room, carry it in (already filled), swap them out in seconds, tuck the empty one back in the cupboard. Voila. grin

DamselNotInHerDress Sat 08-Nov-14 15:47:21

The duplicate is a great idea, however my dds have pillowcases that they decorated years ago, they can't be replicated!
erin oh dear - bloody troublesome bastard, that Father Christmas grin

Tootssweet Sat 08-Nov-14 15:54:49

We hang stockings on bedroom door handles at the sweet house. That way we buy a bit of upstairs time but without the stress of having to tiptoe into the room. Santa feels this is the least stressful way at our housewink

Dunkling Sat 08-Nov-14 16:07:56

Our mantelpiece is oak and hammering in anything is nightmare... it's like concrete! I have a length of fir tree type garland along the top at Christmas and bend some of the fronds up to form hooks. Garland is held in place by winding around heavy ornaments.

AlpacaPicnic Sat 08-Nov-14 17:18:32

I tie ours to the stairs balustrade... With lots of ribbon and tinsel, to make a real decoration of it all -- but we are all in our late thirties--

AlpacaPicnic Sat 08-Nov-14 17:18:49

Doh! Strikeout fail...

steff13 Sat 08-Nov-14 17:34:26

We use something like this, except ours have Santa and reindeer:

www.amazon.com/dp/B007USWD8W?psc=1

They're very heavy, and hold the stockings nicely.

JustSayNoNoNo Sat 08-Nov-14 17:38:55

You don't. Unless you are American. They go at the end of the bed.

When growing up in rural Scotland in the 60s, we held them on with the brass candlestick (didn't everybody?). Santa filled them and left them beside the fireplace.

TheOnlyOliviaMumsnet (MNHQ) Sat 08-Nov-14 17:40:09

Hohoho
We have moved this to our Christmas topic
Merry Christmas

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now