Talk

Advanced search

Hairstyling head without tangly hair?

(10 Posts)
Wigeon Sat 08-Nov-14 08:51:15

Any recommendations for one of those hairstyling heads, that children can do hairstyles on? I have seen quite a few (Amazon, Argos, ELC etc), but lots of the online reviews say that the hair tangles immediately, or falls out and is generally poor quality. Reviews quite often say that the head won't stand up by itself and you have to grip it between your knees!

I also don't really want one which looks like a sexualised adult woman. The ELC one looks like a fresh faced young girl, but has several poor reviews about the tangly hair etc.

Anyone actually got one of these which is any good?

Nearlyadoctor Sat 08-Nov-14 12:19:36

One to avoid is the Toys r us Dream Dazzler one, hair not only tangles badly but stretches out of the head and comes out on brushing. Sorry no help really ..

anyoldname76 Sat 08-Nov-14 15:24:53

The Best one I ever got my dd was Arial the little mermaid, the hair was gorgeous, was about 10years ago though so I don't know if they make them anymore

Everythingwillbeok Sat 08-Nov-14 15:58:10

Tbh I think the quality of these dolls hair has improved. Mt eldest DD had two which matted and went horrible within days but my youngest has got two, a Snow White one with a little singing bird attached which is probably about 4 years old and a moxie girl one with streaked black and white hair both which are still going strong and the hair is absolutely fine still. Although I will say spray on a little fabric softener ie. Lenor now and again and this keeps it nice as well. My youngest DD is 9 and these have always been a favourite toy, she tends to play hairdressers with a friend and now advanced onto fish plaits ect.!!

myotherusernameisbetter Sat 08-Nov-14 16:36:14

You could up the budget a bit and get a proper one?

www.amazon.co.uk/Hairdressing-35-40cm-Human-Training-Clamp/dp/B000V7CN3E

Actually fairly reasonable:

www.amazon.co.uk/Hairdressing-Training-Practice-Model-Clamp/dp/B00A3PHCTE/ref=sr_1_6?s=beauty&ie=UTF8&qid=1415464439&sr=1-6&keywords=hairdresser+training+head

WeAllHaveWings Sat 08-Nov-14 17:20:00

Those training heads look fantastic, might get one for my niece.

myotherusernameisbetter Sat 08-Nov-14 17:50:38

weallhavewings I googled expecting them to be extortionate but was surprised - I don't think either of my teen boys would be interested though sad

Wigeon Sun 09-Nov-14 19:57:52

Ooh, thank you! Those professional heads are a bit scared, with real hair and the clamp! But probably really good to use. Am probably hoping to ask a relative to get the head form DD (lots of relatives ask what she wants, which is kind of them), so don't want to up to budget too much. But also don't want to get something cheap which is useless. Lots of ideas!

RiverRocks Sun 09-Nov-14 20:53:04

I've seen a tip on the internet for this problem-apparently if you spray fabric softener and water onto the hair if it matts, it helps de-tangle it.

Hope this helps

pigleychez Sun 09-Nov-14 21:17:57

Just to second what Rivers said.

Mix fabric conditioner and water in a spray bottle and use to spray on the hair then use a metal toothed wig brush to comb the hair. Works a treat on Barbies etc.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now