Talk

Advanced search

Christmas cake I can make now?!

(8 Posts)
PinkAndBlueBedtimeScares Fri 07-Nov-14 09:05:51

Argh! Just dawned on me that I haven't made a Christmas cake yet! Whoops, so I want a fairly simple recipe I can make this weekend and will be tasty at Christmas?
Or one i can make closer to Christmas and still be tasty! Thanks smile

18yearstooold Fri 07-Nov-14 09:11:43

I use delia's celebration cake, usually make it min November and had no complaints

70isaLimitNotaTarget Fri 07-Nov-14 09:49:06

Depends what sort of cake you want Pink

I like a light fruit cake so I use the Delia recipe but light fruit (sultanas) light nuts, white sugar, Amarretto to soak.

If you want a traditional cake then YY , you can do it now.

(BTW , my Delia book is old, her timings for cooking are too long for my oven. If you get the recipe online, it'll be more up to date)

You need to make sure it's completely cold, feed with alcohol, wrap in clean greaseproof paper and foil. Store somewhere dry and cool. Then re-feed every week or so , if you remember --not like me, I find a dense looking foil bundle in the pantry. Oooh cake ! blush . Easier for me to do a last minute one.
Delicious with crumbly Wensleydale .

poolomoomon Fri 07-Nov-14 10:04:21

Another vote for the Delia one. Made mine a month ago but it's still good made up to a month before Christmas I'd say.

WipsGlitter Fri 07-Nov-14 10:12:30

I'm planning on doing mine next weekend! Think stir up Sunday isn't for another two weeks so plenty of time!

PinkAndBlueBedtimeScares Fri 07-Nov-14 12:30:23

I can't seem to find the Delia recipe, anyone fancy linking me?!

Lilymaid Fri 07-Nov-14 12:45:23

Delia Christmas cakes

nic013 Fri 07-Nov-14 13:05:52

The Nigella boiled fruit cake is nice and can be made last minute. Makes the kitchen smell lovely grinhttp://www.nigella.com/recipes/view/boiled-fruit-cake-4229

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now