Talk

Advanced search

Struggling with parents - how can I make this fair?!

(19 Posts)
Biggamehunter Thu 06-Nov-14 22:09:52

My mom has wanted to go to the Harry Potter studios for a while and there is a coach trip going not far from them. Although both parents drive they quite like going places by coach or train especially if it's a long way.
Two tickets will cost me around £100.

The problem is what do I do about my dad? He will have to go too but seems unfair that it is his christmas present as he doesn't especially want to go. On the other hand if I get him something else that seems unfair to my mom as my dad will enjoy the trip I expect been thought it is definitely something I wouldn't book for him specifically. So it will look like my mom has to share her gift but my dad gets something else as well if you see what I mean.

Gah! Any suggestions? I've budgeted around £160 for my parents so could afford around another £40 or so.

ruddynorah Thu 06-Nov-14 22:15:32

Why does your dad have to go?

temporaryusername Thu 06-Nov-14 22:18:52

You could a bottle of whisky/other preferred drink or foodie thing with the tickets, label it for your dad saying something like 'thought this would sweeten the deal'..?

Biggamehunter Thu 06-Nov-14 22:20:01

Well she can't go on her own. Well I suppose she could but she wouldn't want to!

Biggamehunter Thu 06-Nov-14 22:20:57

My dad won't mind going and will probably enjoy it.
It's just that it's very obviously something chosen for my mom so I feel a bit bad if I don't choose something just for my dad too.

Ihearthickson Thu 06-Nov-14 22:22:48

I'm sure your dad would be happy to go and enjoy the HP tour as it's a gift and wouldn't expect an extra present from you.

clairemum22 Thu 06-Nov-14 22:23:12

I'd do what temporary username says - I'm sure they won't mind! And surely your mum won't care if your dad gets an extra present as the joint one is much more for her benefit?

frazzled74 Thu 06-Nov-14 22:25:49

I wouldn't worry about it . I doubt that he will mind and will have a great time.

amothersplaceisinthewrong Thu 06-Nov-14 22:25:53

Can't you take your Mum as her pressy?? And give your Dad something else...

GiniCooper Thu 06-Nov-14 22:28:48

Could you not go?

Biggamehunter Thu 06-Nov-14 22:30:16

I don't live near enough to my parents to get there very easily and would have ds with me as well. He could stay with my dad but it would be a lot of trouble. Easier for them to go together.

amyhamster Thu 06-Nov-14 22:31:26

You go & treat your dad another time

amyhamster Thu 06-Nov-14 22:32:33

X posts

I'd scrap the whole thing then & send your mum for her birthday

Biggamehunter Thu 06-Nov-14 22:40:35

Yes perhaps you're right.
Her birthday and Mother's Day are after the trip through... Unless I give it to her early.

Sigh.
What I really want is another joint gift but that kind of is something my dad would prefer, that way they can share both but kind of have one each too. But I can't think of anything. Especially not for £60 or thereabouts.

Firsttimemum2012 Thu 06-Nov-14 22:45:49

How about a hamper of lovely food and drink treats, but maybe a few more of your Dad's favourites in there? You sound like a very thoughtful daughter and men are much harder to buy for.

Biggamehunter Thu 06-Nov-14 22:48:58

They really are! I'm struggling with DH too.
My dad is diabetic but he does like red wine, chutneys and nice cheeses so that might be a good idea.
Neither of my parents really need anything and can't think of anything they want so I thought an experience type gift might be best.

WottaMess Fri 07-Nov-14 07:13:46

By getting something for your dad you open the possibility that your mum could take a friend if he didn't want to go. That way it is a gift for her. grin

Mummyboo30 Fri 07-Nov-14 10:13:05

As you say, a joint present that is a bit more for your dad might be the best bet - especially if you think he will go with your mum to HP. There's a lot to see there even if you're not mad about HP, so hopefully he'd enjoy it.
How a bout a hamper from Lakeland? If you went for one that is chutney-heavy, you could always add a couple of bottles of wine! smile

Biggamehunter Fri 07-Nov-14 12:39:24

Yes I think that's what I will do. Get a hamper and put in mainly dad related treats and then put the tickets in too!

Thanks everyone!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now