Talk

Advanced search

DVDs for 11 year old ds?

(21 Posts)
accessorizequeen Wed 05-Nov-14 23:20:33

I was informed this week that every DVD we have is too babyish for him, and I think he's actually right! But have no idea what I could buy for his December birthday and christmas. Ones I could pick up cheaply would be a bonus! He's particularly enjoyed recently: Ferris Bueller's Day Off and Austin Powers so I thought of Airplane as its so silly. Any similar ideas and more modern movies that may appeal? I haven't moved on since Madagascar tbh, he has 3 younger siblings. He's turning 11 and is very socially immature so nothing too sophisticated. Thanks!

clr2014 Wed 05-Nov-14 23:32:55

Is Diary of a Wimpy kid too young? Ds 10 likes them (but he is happy to watch babyish things...)

He loves Home Alone, Spy Kids and Mr Bean too...

Takver Thu 06-Nov-14 08:34:59

I know it isn't more modern, but what about the Back to the Future trilogy?

DD is 12, and loves the How to Train your Dragon movies & tv programme, but would that count as 'too babyish'?

She got a box set of Mythbusters a year or so ago which went down very well (though you can find loads of episodes for free on Youtube!)

Dumbledoresgirl Thu 06-Nov-14 08:46:37

My ds is 11 but the youngest of 4 rather than the eldest. smile A few months back, I bought him The A-Team (with Liam Neeson), thinking how the tv show used to be shown at teatime on Saturdays. I was watching for Liam and found it a bit hard to follow (think lots of fast and furious action) but ds didn't seem to have that problem and enjoyed it.

Just been checking our dvds and have the following suggestions (many are 12s but I think by the time they are 11 this is rarely an issue):

Pirates of the Caribbean
Indiana Jones
Terry Pratchett's The Colour Magic, Hogfather, Going Postal
Men in Black
Willow
Labyrinth
Percy Jackson The Lightning Thief

traviata Thu 06-Nov-14 09:17:07

DS has recently enjoyed;

Napoleon Dynamite
Now you see me
Field of Dreams
Groundhog Day
The Blues Brothers

Waitingonasunnyday Thu 06-Nov-14 09:34:09

I don't know if 'earth to echo' is out on DVD - we saw at cinema recently and it's great.

Plus:
Back to the future
ET
The goonies
Men in black

dollybean Thu 06-Nov-14 10:37:11

My ds loves;

Cool runnings
National treasure
Ghostbusters
Holes
Honey I shrunk the kids

All films that others have posted are also popular here too smile

RoadRunner123 Thu 06-Nov-14 10:40:20

School of Rock
Daddy Day Care and Daddy Day Camp

(I speak as owner of 11 year old DS!)

marne2 Thu 06-Nov-14 12:06:01

Dd (almost 11) likes

Harry Potter
Percy Jackson
Hunger games

Also classic films like
The Goonies
Never ending story
Nania

accessorizequeen Thu 06-Nov-14 12:25:08

Loads I think he'd like there, thank you all! He's watched all of the HP movies as dp has them, but somehow Hunger Games seems a bit too much. Don't know why. He seems very young sometimes, because socially he is not very adept as he has Aspergers. I may be underestimating what he would appreciate.

marne2 Thu 06-Nov-14 12:35:33

Acess, dd has AS too, I was wary about the hunger games so I bought her the book first, we watched the films together as I was worried it would be too much for her but she was fine and really enjoyed them, I can see how it might not be suitable though ( dd just doesn't seem to be effected by people getting killed ). Percy Jackson would probably be better, it's on a similar par to the harry potter films.

marne2 Thu 06-Nov-14 12:36:22

Dd still loves ice age, UP and despicable me.

Sidge Thu 06-Nov-14 12:40:18

The Goonies
Ghostbusters
The Sorcerers Apprentice
Men In Black 1, 2 and 3!
ET

myotherusernameisbetter Thu 06-Nov-14 12:50:28

Is it action or comedy etc?

RV
Baby's Day out
Star Wars
Night at the museum

I am sure there are loads more - if I remember I'll check the shelves when I'm home.

accessorizequeen Thu 06-Nov-14 20:38:31

Thanks Marne, ds has asked about Hunger games as I read the trilogy recently. I guess I felt quite affected by it really, it has some quite horrible concepts. I don't think killing bothers him either, but he's got anger management problems and can be very aggressive so perhaps I should follow my instincts. I know other kids his age have seen the films.

I think more comedy - Ghostbusters would be right up his street. Anything with magic as he's obsessed with HP - he didn't like th Percy Jackson books but that's not to say the films won't appeal. Where do I purchase all these films for pennies, I've never been much of a film owner? I need to buy a pile of Enid Blighton books for ds2 so may have to haunt some charity shops or car boots I guess.

Taffeta Thu 06-Nov-14 20:43:21

DS 11 likes Grown Ups, Grown Ups2, Miranda, Call the Midwife.

He also likes HIGNFY and Would I Lie to You

myotherusernameisbetter Thu 06-Nov-14 20:43:52

ebay can be pretty good too or try Facebook selling pages if you are on FB.

Also places like CEX etc do 2nd hand copies or you can hire at the library usually.

clr2014 Sat 08-Nov-14 07:34:40

I just bought a couple of these on Amazon - cannot believe how cheap they were! DVDs are clearly on their way out. MIB 1&2 for £3ish! Great addition to ds presents, thank you!

Cherrypippin Sat 08-Nov-14 08:00:12

Ds is 11 and I've pre ordered him for christmas earth to echo and guardians of the galaxy both are due out in the next few weeks and are on his wish list.

TheScottishPlay Sun 09-Nov-14 17:26:06

Box of Delights

LikeASoulWithoutAMind Sun 09-Nov-14 20:44:37

We got Back to the Future and I was a bit shocked by some of the themes - boys trying to get hands up girls' sweaters and reacting very badly when refused shock So maybe worth watching it first?

10yo ds has enjoyed: Indiana Jones movies, HP, the Hobbit/LOTR, Johnny English, Percy Jackson, Star Wars, ET, How to Train Your Dragon, Pirates of the Caribbean. Bugsy Malone was also a surprise recent hit!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now