Talk

Advanced search

Good 'beauty' presents for 12 year old and up

(15 Posts)
sharanel Wed 05-Nov-14 10:00:06

dd2 is 12 and getting quite interested in hair and make up (she doesn't actually wear any make up yet but says she wants some for xmas). I am going to buy her her own hair dryer. There were some make up sets in boots but they either looked too young (hallo kitty) or too old (ToWIE). I don't want to get her anything too cheap and nasty in case it irritates her skn.

dd1 (15) would also appreciate something in the way of beauty stuff. I might get her some marc jacobs perfume but again does anyone have any suggestions?

LegoCaltrops Wed 05-Nov-14 10:07:06

How about tinted lip balm or lip gloss in neutral-ish colours for DD2?

Gatekeeper Wed 05-Nov-14 10:21:49

the 17 range in Boots has some nice sets in and not too pricey

www.boots.com/en/SEVENTEEN-Lip-Gloss-Library_1496717/

maybe the gloss set above, some nail polishes, a set of make up brushes , a pretty makeup bag, a mirror and a pack of makeup remover wipes

The Natural Collection in Boots is also good for her age range and you could put together a load of stuff, mascara, tinted lipstick and gloss, sparkly eye liner which she would love

crazykat Wed 05-Nov-14 10:24:43

Superdrug have their own range called make up acadamy (MUA). Its really good quality and not expensive. I use their lipstick and eyeliner every day and they're £1 each. They have eye shadow pallets for about £3 which are also good. I have sensitive skin and have had problems with some brands but have been fine with these.

Barry M nail varnish is brilliant, there are lots of colours and finishes, glossy, matt, glitter, pearl etc. I'm putting off getting some for dd and dsd as I always end up buying more for me and I have too many loads already.

Gatekeeper Wed 05-Nov-14 10:25:25

for your older dd anything from here

also [[ www.boots.com/en/benefit-delecta-belles-Crescent-Row-fragrance-set_1498099/ this is nice]]

butmumineedit Wed 05-Nov-14 10:26:56

For you DD1 how about some Benefit makeup, Boots have some have nice sets, also Jack Wills has got some lovely sprays i think 3 for £10 if i remember rightly. My niece is the same age and she loves all of the above or Ted Baker set.

My DD1 is 13 and is after some proper make up brushes and also the number 17 from Boot again either the £35 or the cheaper £18 depends on what else i get her for xmas.

Also she is getting some Simple cleansing stuff as well, to ensure she gets into a routine of cleansing.

crazykat Wed 05-Nov-14 10:30:12

For perfume you would be better taking your dd to try some on as the same perfume can be awful on one person and lovely on another. There's also different types like floral, sweet, citrus.

If you do buy her one try some out first as some can be quite heavy or better suited for someone older. Lacoste pink was a favourite of my cousin at about 15 and I like JLo live back then and it wasn't too expensive unlike my currant Calvin Klein one.

girlywhirly Wed 05-Nov-14 10:46:02

I can recommend Simple skincare products. For spots, the Spotless Skin rapid action spot zapper is brilliant, it's a plastic tube with a roller ball that you just squeeze a little and roll over the zits to apply. Only 15mls but easy to carry around and treat a spot as soon as you see it, and it has no smell and is for sensitive skin.

LikeSilver Wed 05-Nov-14 11:12:37

What about a book on how to apply makeup so she can practice at home? I think Lauren Conrad has one, if she is cool among young teens clueless

enderwoman Wed 05-Nov-14 11:57:23

My 11 year old loved watching Zoella on YouTube. She has a small range at Superdrug which includes perfume. She doesn't wear a lot of makeup but goes for the budget makeup at Superdrug and Boots (MUA and Collection) or stuff like Maybelline/Revlon that's available at Poundland.

ThinkIveBeenHacked Wed 05-Nov-14 11:59:36

Benefit do lovely make up (mascara is particularly good)

Can also recommend Nivea tinted moisturiser for a light alternative to foundation.

ThinkIveBeenHacked Wed 05-Nov-14 12:00:44

elf is also good (stands for eyes lips face) is online and does some good.sets, nail varnishes and make up brushes

TranquilityofSolitude Wed 05-Nov-14 14:40:26

My DDs (15 and 17) both love Soap & Glory makeup. They also have quite a few Barry M and elf products.

70isaLimitNotaTarget Wed 05-Nov-14 14:56:55

Superdrugs and Boots regularly do a 3 for 2 on make-up.

My DD is 12 and she has a few things she 'inherited' from me (some things she decides she likes and 'borrows' )

She has a Bare Mineral concealer ( powder to apply with a brush) that she likes
Lip Glosses/ Lip Balms

Nail varnish (I don't rate the Barry M nail polish but I love the eye pencils)

I bought her a set of Barbara Daley brushes ( I still have some of the Body Shop brushes that are years old. BD used to have a range there)

Cotton buds (regular and the ones that have a flat end/pointy end)

Headband

Mirror with light (that was mine but she liked it)

Sharpener

YY the MUA products or maybe Sleek -their pallettes are lovely, £8.

My DD had her eyebrows threaded so I'll take her there again and she loves having her hair cut and blow dried/

This year I got her a Babyliss dryer/brush

spottymoo Wed 05-Nov-14 17:01:04

We got dd last year a nice little make up bag and in that included a natural collection (boots range) clear mascara - pink tinted lip gloss and a selection of pale eye shadow.

This year now she's nearly 13 we've got her a small benefit set and the jack wills lip crayon set I've also got her the 3 jack wills sprays.

Smelley side of things dd loves lush and ted baker.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now