Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Ideas needed to make Christmas exciting as ds's 10 & 14 are only having one present from us!!

(14 Posts)
Nancyclancy Wed 05-Nov-14 09:10:49

This year my ds's have asked for much more expensive items for Christmas. My 14 year old would like a camera (does photography at school). My 10 yr old would like a go-cart (type we've seen is expensive but it would last and he's very outdoorsy).

So because they are pricey we've explained that there will not be lots of presents under the tree if they definitely get these. They understand this and will have a stocking with useful bits in such as smellie's, underwear, chocolate etc.

I'm going to buy a couple of family board games, but would like some cheap ideas on how to make Christmas special as they won't have many presents.
Although to be fair I think I'm over thinking this, I don't think they'll be concerned at all!! It'll just make me feel better!

ClawHandsIfYouBelieveInFreaks Wed 05-Nov-14 09:15:18

Good idea on the board games....I would be tempted to wrap up some very cheap, joke items or even second hand books just so there's more to open myself.

Cheap bath stuff and makeup....or things from the pound shop.

jopickles Wed 05-Nov-14 09:16:25

Get them involved in making it a special family occasion such as baking and making decorations or making gifts for family members in the run up and on the day make it an event where your son can ride his go cart while the other ones takes some special shots on the new camera they will just be happy to be using their gifts then maybe save other presents they have been given until later in the day so they still have things to open between lunch and playing the board games etc or you could make them a cheapish movie hamper so you can all sit and watch your favourite films with favourite treats later in the day

CMOTDibbler Wed 05-Nov-14 09:16:55

Just stick with their present and stocking - they don't need a pile of things to make it special.

gamerchick Wed 05-Nov-14 09:19:54

I go by that. If they want something expensive they only get that.. A new outfit and little bits. Makes things a lot easier anyway.

Nancyclancy Wed 05-Nov-14 09:29:38

Thanks for your replies. My dh thinks we should leave it at just the present and a stocking!
I will buy some board games as we do play them a lot through the winter and I'll record something Christmassy on the TV and we can have a movie night on Christmas Eve.

Caramelkate Wed 05-Nov-14 09:35:47

What about doing a treasure hunt with clues ( and tiny presents) which leads them to their main present - it would make it last longer and could be fun, especially if you make it cheesy! Also wrap the presents really well, in multiple boxes, using masses of tape. Ripping the paper off is the fun bit!

We also do a game called 'mean christmas' where I wrap up 1 thing that each person would like ( not expensive). It helps if other members if the family hate it - marmite for example. I then wrap the presents along with lots if horrible pound shop bits, and we take it in turns to roll a dice. A 1 gets you a present, a 6 allows you to swap one if your presents with someone else. My teens love it.

sharanel Wed 05-Nov-14 10:02:04

love that idea caramelkate ! so how many presents do you have in total?

GoEasyPudding Wed 05-Nov-14 10:15:58

I think a ton of sweeties would solve this problem! So many different types to buy and some in fancy packaging this time of year.

Really excited for your daughter and her new camera! Dream teenage present right there!

marne2 Wed 05-Nov-14 13:13:23

They sound like such fab presents that I'm sure they won't miss not having much to open, maybe plan a little trip out with the go cart and your older d&c can take photos with the new camera.

My dd1 (10) has asked for a expensive(ish) girt this year and we have explained that there won't be as many presents to open as previous years, I have bulked it up a little with some things that she needed ( clothes, a new bag, smellies, art stuff ) but I'm sure she will just be pleased to have her main present.

PesoPenguin Wed 05-Nov-14 15:26:04

I definitely wouldn't wrap a load of pound shop stuff just to make up the numbers, it'll all be in the bin by new year and is a waste of money. I'm sure your dc's will love their presents and they're old enough to understand.

Caramelkate Wed 05-Nov-14 17:01:28

The pound shop stuff is fun stuff - plastic fangs and haribo etc. my kids love it every christmas ( and Easter). I have about 9 teenagers at christmas ( I am a foster carer and a lot of my older care leavers come back) and buy about 20 presents for mean christmas.

ClawHandsIfYouBelieveInFreaks Wed 05-Nov-14 17:03:27

Mine also love the pound shop things...some of them are silly but they like them...colouring books....even the teenagers adore them!

tanya1312 Wed 05-Nov-14 17:40:07

Love the idea of mean christmas x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now