Talk

Advanced search

Christmas Picnic

(7 Posts)
Cherrypippin Tue 04-Nov-14 22:05:03

We have decided to go away on holiday for New Year, unfortunately this means we have got to travel on Boxing Day and will involve a car journey of approx 8-10 hours and a stay in a roadside hotel. I want to make the journey as nice as possible for the dc and keep the christmas spirit going. So we'll be watching christmas films, music and I will be giving them each a special christmas themed goody bag. We'll have breakfast before we leave and we will stop somewhere for dinner but I thought it would be really nice to make a really Christmassy picnic for lunchtime. Apart from turkey sandwiches I really can't think of anything, ideally it needs to be things I can prepare and either store/freeze for a couple of days beforehand as I don't want to do any cooking the day before we go. Any ideas would be great.

nic013 Tue 04-Nov-14 22:19:27

Cranberry and cinnamon biscuits cut into Christmassy shapes
Mini mince pies
Mini pasties filled with stuffing, gammon and cranberry sauce
Spiced and honeyed peanuts/cashews
Cheese straws
Cubes of Christmas cake and stilton.
I'm hungry now. I might need to go and find some chocolate!

BrieAndChilli Tue 04-Nov-14 22:22:45

Cut sarnies into squares and stack an tie with parcel ribbon
Xmas pudding cake pops
Sainsburys did Xmas shaped pretzels and tortilla chips last year

Cherrypippin Tue 04-Nov-14 22:23:32

Brilliant ideas thankyousmile

OverAndAbove Wed 05-Nov-14 09:05:41

A selection box smile

Lones80 Wed 05-Nov-14 09:58:36

Satsumas and left over pigs in blankets.

BiddyPop Wed 05-Nov-14 14:40:19

Nice sausage rolls (there are lots of seasonal versions and recipes around - Good Housekeeping Nov issue has a lovely looking 1 I am tempted to try, and which is freezable).

Hot chocolate in a flask, with marshmallows and whipped cream to put on top.

Spiced Christmas cookies or other seasonal goodies.

Any family favourite nibbles.

Get a packet of Christmassy paper napkins and paper plates to use, and then you can throw them away rather than have dirty things to bring on with you. (If you know there will be somewhere to stop, and that has picnic tables, maybe a plastic/paper tablecloth - partly makes it festive, but also gives you a CLEAN and DRY table to use). And a decent sized rubbish bag for all rubbish, in case the bins there are already full to seal all rubbish in together.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now