Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Getting started with Playmobil - dds 2.5 and 4.5

(18 Posts)
NuzzleandScratch Tue 04-Nov-14 20:43:51

I keep hearing rave reviews on here of Playmobil, so would like to get some for the dds for Christmas, as a joint present. Dd2 doesn't tend to put things in her mouth, so I'm not worried about that.

So I'm wondering, what would be good to get them started? I've heard the camper van and the swimming pool recommended a lot.

Also, I'm a bit confused when people talk about putting it together, do you then dismantle it again, like Lego, or does it stay assembled? How do people store this stuff? I've been de cluttering with the Magic of Tidying thread, so feeling a little stressed about all the extra stuff Christmas will bring! grin

attheendoftheday Tue 04-Nov-14 21:15:45

The big pieces stay together and there are hundreds of little pieces to herd into boxes. We store ours on top of the ikea expedit we have for toy storage, with the little bits in one of the boxes.

Both the camper van and pool are great, and I think your dc are great ages to start with playmobil! The camper van is not excessively big to store, and all the bits go inside it.

4forksake Tue 04-Nov-14 21:19:06

My DS (4) has the camper van & swimming pool & loves them. He also has the tent set & a few of the trucks.
I think there's a summer house which looks fun & I think there's even a hotel. Playmobil tends to be less easy to dismantle than lego. Could you get some big boxes to store it in (& some little boxes for the people & the really really fiddly little things that come with it! shock) smile

sunnyrosegarden Tue 04-Nov-14 21:23:43

You need to store the little bits and people in a box, and leave the big stuff set up. At one point, I had the whole of Ancient Egypt set up in one child's bedroom. smile

NuzzleandScratch Tue 04-Nov-14 22:28:58

Thanks all, very helpful. I'm excited! Some tuppa ware pots for the little bits then. I take it you don't keep the bits in the box it comes in then, like you can with Lego sets? Like the fact that the camper van bits store inside, very organised!

I agree with others keep the big bits (vehicles/buildings) set up and bits and bobs in a box. We started with the summer house for DS aged 2.5 and it's great; gets played with a lot. ..but just a warning that if your DC are a little rough with it bits do fall off! I even glued the plants to it and all the joints with superglue and they still manage to pull it apart! I've also hidden some of the tiny accessories because my DC do still mouth things. despite all that IME playmobil is one of the only plastic Toys that are well made and built to last. We plan on adding to the collection as the DC grow and bringing out the smaller bits later on. But don't necessarily rush in and buy new, second hand stuff I've bought has been just as good, there's often some great bundles on ebay etc

Sorry I've totally contradicted myself (should be sleeping) by saying it's coming apart but also built to last! What I mean is its easy to fit back together again, it all fits together with a satisfying click and doesn't feel flimsy like a lot of plastic toys we've had yes I'm looking at you argos 2 for £15

CharlesRyder Tue 04-Nov-14 22:37:47

The swimming pool is great. We have it and DS's friends always gravitate to it.

In school I have found children love the vet set and the pony farm.

Playmobil is lovely- enjoy!

NuzzleandScratch Tue 04-Nov-14 23:13:44

That's ok Nicecupoftea, I think I got the gist! I'll check out the summer house. Swimming pool certainly sounds like a winner.

bogiesaremyonlyfriend Wed 05-Nov-14 21:12:30

The campervan was in asda for £10 today so don't know if you were looking for one but might be worthy of a look

Lilicat1013 Wed 05-Nov-14 21:35:58

The swimming pool is at it's lowest ever price on Amazon at the moment according to CamelCamelCamel. I just ordered it for my son's birthday.

NuzzleandScratch Thu 06-Nov-14 15:09:20

Ooo, thanks for the tips! We haven't live in our area long, so will have to investigate if there's an Asda nearby.

oobedobe Thu 06-Nov-14 19:04:02

I got the swimming pool and camper van for DD1 a couple of Christmas's ago, but she is not really a playmobil lover,(though I do hold out hope now she is 6 and getting more into fantasy play so I am getting her a small set this year) she mostly prefers Schleich fantasy toys atm.

However DD2 is not even 2.6 and LOVES the stuff - she is getting the takealong doll house as her main gift (I just take out the really tiny stuff and put it in ziplock bags for when she is older).

One of the most played with things at our house is a melissa and doug folding wooden castle which we populated with playmobil princesses, knights and accessories - so you can use it that way too and I don't have to worry about rebuilding a plastic castle all the time.

We also have the small takealong unicorn castle which they don't sell anymore (they do a different bigger one) and the school bus.

As for storing it - I find it can be bulky - for the swimming pool I dismantle and keep it in its original box. It comes out for a few days at a time but it doesn't live out (or it would be slowly demolished and we would lose all the bits!).

I think the summer house and the pool would be great as a starter set.

duplodon Fri 07-Nov-14 03:40:52

Ikea's grundtal magnetic storage tins house our 'tiny bits' on the fridge. They're great.

Noah's Ark is only 26 quid on Amazon today. I had to buy it, just as I said I was finished, it makes the amount they are getting obscene but it is so much cheaper than I've seen it at other times of the year, and I very nearly bought it at full price for ds2's birthday in June! We are also getting pool (18 quid) and campervan AND dinosaurs for all three (no individual presents).

In school, kids like the playground too. We also have a take along school and the camping site set which is used for all sorts.

NuzzleandScratch Fri 07-Nov-14 13:26:40

Thanks for the tips. Like the wooden castle idea Oobedodbe. I ordered the pool on Amazon last night for £18, so very pleased with that. I'm holding off on the camper van for now until I work out what else I'm getting them.

Tikkabillajive Fri 07-Nov-14 13:35:02

The playground (which I think you can maybe only buy at Toys R Us) was the first Playmobil my DD had, aged around 2.5, and it was great because she was able to play out familiar scenarios and it has a roundabout and swings that are great fun to play with. The one they are selling now is slightly different to the one we have:

www.toysrus.co.uk/Toys-R-Us/Toys/Construction/Playmobil-Playground-5024(0094005)

She is 9 now and still plays with our massive Playmobil collection a lot. It is a brilliant toy.

Tikkabillajive Fri 07-Nov-14 13:36:30

Camper van is lovely too. It's nice to have a few sets that fit well together - so the family can pile in to the camper and head to the swimming pool/park etc!

LikeASoulWithoutAMind Fri 07-Nov-14 13:41:22

Camper van and swimming pool have had a lot of play value for us.

They also loved the pirate ship and knights' castle but I'd say they're better for slightly older children.

We keep the big stuff up (although have started dismantling the castle sometimes as it's pretty big) and have small boxes to chuck the little bits in. I also kept some of the tiny bits back at first.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now