Talk

Advanced search

What age Play mobile?

(20 Posts)
pebblepots Mon 03-Nov-14 21:50:59

Hi

My dd is just turning 3, what age is Play mobile good for? And what should I start off getting?

Thanks

PesoPenguin Mon 03-Nov-14 21:53:06

3 is fine IMO. The best thing to start with has to be the campervan as its self contained, with loads of bits and as your collection grows, the playmobil people can 'travel' to different scenes in it.

bogiesaremyonlyfriend Mon 03-Nov-14 21:55:45

My dd has been playing with playmobil for a while and she is 2.4. She isn't a mouther though so if your dd is likely to out things in her mouth still, there are small parts. She really likes it and you can keep the little diddly bits back until they are older. Huge hit in our house is the pool you can fill with water but it does go everywhere. Also the campervan. We have the horse washing station and they do a lovely horse farm if she is into horses.
Does she like small world play- like happyland?? Dd1 is 4 and playmobil just isn't her thing but she doesn't really get imaginative play, prefers to draw/colour etc whereas dd2 is really into playing dolls/animal figures and it is right up her street

paneer Mon 03-Nov-14 22:14:22

dd got her first playmobil stuff the Christmas just before she was 3. she is 6.5 and still plays with it, even more so now. well worth the money spent.

pebblepots Mon 03-Nov-14 22:17:23

Yes she likes happyland and small world play

ArthurChristmas Mon 03-Nov-14 22:18:26

Dd got her first playmobil (the aeroplane) when she was 3. She is now just 9 and has spent the whole of her inset day playing with it today! It looks brand new and has had hours of play. Be warned it's addictive, we now have a house full and a DS aged 3 who is getting the bug too!

pebblepots Mon 03-Nov-14 22:18:36

I was wondering about the camp site? Just not sure if all the little bits will be too fiddly

NormanTheForeman Mon 03-Nov-14 22:21:28

You can't go wrong with Playmobil really! smile

NorksEnormous Mon 03-Nov-14 22:25:49

Hmm dd is 2.5 and ive bought the playmobil 123, now wondering if I should have bought the normal stuff?

NoodieRoodie Mon 03-Nov-14 22:26:45

DS was 3 today and got the car and caravan, he's caravan obsessed! He's had bits and pieces for the last 4/5 months that were mine and my sisters, plus a couple of bit from my cousin and charity shops. My mum is gradually finding and fishing stuff out of the loft.

He's spent all day playing with it, the family keep having a bbq, going to bed (all in the same bed with the dog) and then hitching up and going somewhere else.

His imagination is fantastic and I can see us adding to this and then we'll just have a house of playmobile. Although today I think DH had as much fun playing with it as DS did.

pebblepots Mon 03-Nov-14 22:44:00

Hmmm camper van does look good

Sootgremlin Tue 04-Nov-14 10:04:40

The bin lorry is a good one for slightly younger, very robust and not too many fiddle bits. My ds got that at just 3, now 3.5 at Christmas I have got him the camper van and tent set as holidays are his favourite thing and should be easy to add to.

He has been very careful with bits and is good at keeping it away from his little crawling sister, too!

Grandparents might be getting him Playmobil police van and speedboat, so they can keep things in order if there are any dodgy goings on at the campsite grin

squiggleirl Tue 04-Nov-14 10:09:08

I think it depends on the child. DS1 had Playmobil when he was 3. DD had no real interest in it until about 5. DS 2 is 2.5, and loves Playmobil. He puts things in his mouth though, and there's no way I'd give him older kids stuff. He is definitely a kid for 123. He notices no difference, and I'm not in a panic when he has it in his hand.

squiggleirl Tue 04-Nov-14 10:10:06

Just to add, i'm waiting for our Playmobil 123 advent calendar to arrive (due tomorrow), but it was one of the few toy calendars suitable for smallies. Hope it's good.

LegoAcquaintance Tue 04-Nov-14 10:23:27

Dd was playing with her sister's playmobil before she was 2 (under supervision, obviously).

I would avoid sets with too many fiddly bits, even if they don't put them in their mouths, little ones can find it hard to manipulate them - and then you will be driven insane being asked to do it over and over.

I would particularly recommend vehicles, boats and the swimming pool for younger ones. We have the bus and it is one of our most played with toys. And the swimming pool can be filled with water - hours of fun. Friends DC has the fire engine and my kids LOVE that too.

Cumberlover76 Tue 04-Nov-14 11:03:16

squiggleirl, where did you get the 123 Advent calendar from? I want to get DD a Playmobil Advent calendar, she'll be 2.10 at Christmas, but is a bugger for putting things in her mouth, always has been. She's got 1 small normal Playmobil figure but I've removed the arrows!

Can't wait until she's old enough for the proper stuff. My little brother (who's 10 years younger then me) had it when he was little, and i loved it then so can't wait to get it for her next year. But could start with some 123 as they are compatible aren't they?

TheOnlyPink Tue 04-Nov-14 11:07:21

My son is almost 3 and has loads of playmobil. Want to chime in for the campervan, both my kids love it, the older one is 7 and plays with it a few times a week. The younger plays with it every day. It's rarely a campervan. Yesterday it was a time machine! Very versatile toys, huge scope for imaginative play.

norks the 123 stuff is lovely, and tbh the only difference is the people are slightly chunky and the accessories are big and unlikely to get swallowed. We have the 123 fire station and my 7 year old loves it. Santa is bringing the 123 house. All the 123 sets are the same scale for the figures so they just add on to the older sets. Hope that makes sense!

ThinkIveBeenHacked Tue 04-Nov-14 11:09:30

My dd is nearly 3 and has the campsite which is her only Playmobil so far and is well played with.

Her birthday is a few days before christmas and I do have a few sets for her (room sets, a car, the pool.and the school)

squiggleirl Tue 04-Nov-14 12:12:01

Cumberlover I ordered it from Amazon www.amazon.co.uk/PLAYMOBIL-5497-Advent-calendar-Christmas/dp/B00IF1W7NE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1415102986&sr=8-1&keywords=playmobil+123+advent+calendar I'll report back on what it's like when it arrives.

Cumberlover76 Tue 04-Nov-14 14:01:46

Thanks Squiggle, yes, please let me know what it's like and how long delivery takes as i may just have to get one.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now