Talk

Advanced search

Nursery Christmas Etiquette?

(18 Posts)
CaptainSinker Mon 03-Nov-14 20:30:22

DD start nursery this summer. Do we buy presents for anyone - thinking something about a £5 for her key worker and a wee box of crocs or something for the other 2 staff in the room? Too much or too little?

Also, do people expect kids to exchange cards? She is 3 so might want to do one for her 2 friends, but not sure if there will be more than this going on.

3pigsinblanketsandasausagerole Mon 03-Nov-14 20:32:07

Box of crocs sounds happy snappy

CaptainSinker Mon 03-Nov-14 20:33:41

grin Something deeply wrong with my autocorrect preferring reptiles to chocolate!

Weekipper Mon 03-Nov-14 20:34:03

Last year my DD was in the baby room and on the last day bought the staff a mixed box of Krispy Kremes. It seemed to go down well. And a card with a nice message.

CookieLady Mon 03-Nov-14 20:34:08

Remember a croc is not just for Christmas, it's for life.

For my sons nursery I'll buy a pack of 10 small Xmas cards for him to give to the children he is friends with and a box of chocolates or biscuits for his keyworker. The staff will get so much given to them, it will likely be all shared out equally between them all. Something for each staff member will probably be too much. Hope that helps.

DoTheStrand Mon 03-Nov-14 21:37:32

My DS 2 is nearly 3. Last Christmas I got a present for his keyworker, and my older son and I made lots of reindeer cupcakes for all the other people working there to share. (V easy - made choc cupcakes, covered them in melted choc, used mini choc fingers for antlers, white choc buttons for eyes, and glacé cherries for noses). They went down v well, I think the women there just like to feel appreciated! We didn't do any cards or presents for DS's friends there. Probably worth taking anything edible in before the last day though, in case it doesn't all get eaten at once.

Lots of people didn't give anything and I got the impression it was appreciated but not expected.

TheEnchantedForest Tue 04-Nov-14 00:10:23

Amazon voucher for keyworker (my dd loves her and this makes it possible for me to work relatively guilt free so very deserving of a present!) box of QS or similar for the staff in the room to share.

Gooseysgirl Tue 04-Nov-14 06:09:35

I put a gift bag together with nice tea, coffee, biscuits etc for the staff and £10 each Boots voucher for my kids' key workers.

BikeRunSki Tue 04-Nov-14 06:19:45

A few cards for close friends.
Bottles of wine for staff in room, as it is less perishable than food.

BiddyPop Tue 04-Nov-14 08:41:17

When DD was still in nursery, which she was from 4 months, we used to make a spiced Christmas biscuits recipe every year. Year 1, she mixed the eggs with a fork and had fun rolling and cutting some dough for DH and I to eat, and I did the rest (she was 11.75 months). By the time she was almost 4, she was doing most of it herself except the beating sugar and butter together.

What I found was that using small cutters meant lovely small biscuits that little hands could handle easily, and a few larger ones were nice for adults. We had a set of cutters in various shapes (mushroom, star, elephant, car, etc) that were great for small, and I had a gingerbread man, holly leaf and star shape for larger ones.

DD's nursery used to have a show of sorts a couple of days before breakup day, singing Christmas carols and Rudolph, and allowing parents to come in a bit early and enjoy it. So we used to send in the cookies for that, as there were always a few snacks on offer (a few other parents sent in things too, brownies and cookies sort of thing).

We used to give the minders in her room (no key worker but only a couple per room) a card each with either a box of chocs of a nice candle each as well on the last day. DD would make the card at home (hand prints, scribbly scrawls, splashy paint....) and that was always welcomed (to our faces at least) as it was her work.

elQuintoConyo Tue 04-Nov-14 08:50:52

We gave bugger all blush

He has just started school, I may make some biscuits for the teacher and staff, nothing for the other kids (ds is 3).

EhricLovesTheBhrothers Tue 04-Nov-14 08:59:03

A card and box of crocs for the staff smile be warned though they do seem to do cards for everyone and once DS had seen others doing it he wanted to, so 24 cards with me attempting to get him to squiggle in each himself! We lost interest around the same time...

BiddyPop Tue 04-Nov-14 09:40:18

DoTheStrand, I may steal the reindeer cupcakes idea!! DD brings a treat to all her class in school just before Christmas, as her birthday treat. So I have done 35
>2-finger kitkats changed to Santas and Snowmen (rip off red wrapper, and put new wrapper over the silver one - sooooo much cutting and sticking)
> bags of Reindeer Poop (chocolate covered raisins with a little poem sealing the bag)
> Snowman soup (hot choc mix, candy cane stirrer, couple of mini marshmallows and a small choc figure, again seal the bag with a poem)
> Marshmallow snowmen (huge marshmallow body, regular marshmallow with melted choc spots from a cocktail stick to make facial features, tiny marshmallow coated in choc as a hat, "glued" together with melted choc)

This year, she is muttering about shortbread cookies with sweets stuck on....I can't see that working terribly well, or being easy to do, cupcakes sounds better. (Class of 28, couple of great buddies in the other class, teacher, SNA, resource teacher - and 1 for herself at home!!).

Awakeagain Tue 04-Nov-14 09:45:45

At private nursery (day care) I've given gifts to key worker/link worker and then a bag of goodies for the rest of the room staff
Gift maybe £8-£10 for each (so up to £30)

DoTheStrand Tue 04-Nov-14 14:41:17

Wow BiddyPop you do a lot! V impressed. Yes try the reindeer, just remember to buy lots of extra mini cadburys fingers (you won't need them for the cupcakes, they're for you to eat when you've finished and are thinking 'why didn't I just buy a box of biscuits!' Which is what I think every time grin).

BiddyPop Tue 04-Nov-14 15:00:05

DoTheStrand I don't do all of those every year - it was 1 thing each year, and we are now in 3rd class (I think that's the same as Y3 in UK) so my 5th year coming up with a design.

Motto of the tale, do NOT come up with something fabulous in Junior Infants, that everyone wants to see similar the following years, and the parents keep asking with excitement what it will be at pre-Christmas drinks!! Set the bar reasonable, but MANAGABLY LOW!!!!!!

LokiBear Tue 04-Nov-14 17:09:46

I'm doing cards for DD's friends. I will also steal the krispie Kreme idea! Fab!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now