Talk

Advanced search

Playing out pavement games

(11 Posts)
catsofa Mon 03-Nov-14 17:34:10

Can anyone tell me what toys work well for playing out on a pavement with a group of kids, ages between about 5 and about 12?

DSD (9) is really socially awkward, I think she just needs more opportunities for unstructured hanging out with other kids. Mum's house is a flat with no outdoor space, but at dad's the house is on a quiet street and a small gang of lovely kids have just moved in and are playing out most days.

We want to get her out playing regularly with them, but feel she needs props as she will feel really awkward until she gets better at interacting with other kids and gets to know this group a bit.

I've got her some chalk, which I think would be easy to share and really unpressured - with a two-player game she'd have to approach one other child and ask them to play, but with chalk she could just start drawing and others would join in, maybe doing more group things like hopscotch when she felt ready.

I want to make her a box of playing out toys to keep by the front door - what else could I put in it?

madsadbad Mon 03-Nov-14 17:41:22

skipping rope, football, would there be room for a swing ball thing- she could play on her own and with others?

catsofa Mon 03-Nov-14 18:00:24

Football is a bit tricky because of all the cars and windows, but some softer balls would be good. Those swing ball things are great but don't they need the pole in the middle to be sunk into soft ground? No way of doing that on the pavement, there's no grass verge or anything. Skipping rope would be great.

The others have roller skates but DSD's are at her mum's and they're heavy to cart backwards and forwards. Are Heelys (those trainers with wheels in the heels) considered death traps or are they fun? There seem to be some of those cheap on ebay in the right size but I think they look like they'd make you land hard on the base of your spine all the time!

madsadbad Mon 03-Nov-14 18:12:16

There are ones that have a base you can fill with water, would that be workable?
What about one of those things you hook on your foot and sing it around and jump over it, could play on own and then if others came they could have comps and see who could do more?
If you got a couple of skipping ropes, they can do crazy "multi player things" when others come over.
Im not sure about heelys think I remember hearing they were hard to stop in? But that might have been a H&S gone mad thing.
Hula hoop?

catsofa Mon 03-Nov-14 18:28:12

Oh wow yeah a water filled base would work, I'll look out for one.

A search for "jump ball" has brought up space hoppers, those must still be fun? A couple so they can be raced...

Hula hoops I hadn't thought of either, and maybe bean bags?

madsadbad Mon 03-Nov-14 20:55:24

like this Im sure you could find cheaper, thats just the first that popped up.
Bean bags is good idea, maybe little hoops/markers so you could throw into them.

crumpet Mon 03-Nov-14 20:58:26

stilts and pogo stick?

catsofa Mon 03-Nov-14 21:21:47

LOL I wonder if she'd let me tie tin cans to her feet with strings to hold onto for stilts... I think I need to do it really really soon while she doesn't yet find me hideously embarrassing grin

Could easily be made for all of them, and we could make an assault course of stuff to get round and step over on the stilts...

clr2014 Mon 03-Nov-14 21:33:34

a picnic blanket, lolo ball, diablo, ripstik, pogo stick, skateboard, scooter, pop up tent all used by the children on our street..

clr2014 Mon 03-Nov-14 21:33:43

also bike ramp

catsofa Tue 04-Nov-14 21:15:56

Awesome, thanks! Reminds me, I've been meaning to take my folding bike there as I think it'd adjust enough for her to use. Her own bike is kept at mum's and it's far too far to travel back and forth between houses with it, but my folder is my second bike so could go out on loan to her for a while.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now