Talk

Advanced search

This year I will mostly buy people socks for Christmas

(29 Posts)
QuintsTombWithAWiew Mon 03-Nov-14 14:25:08

Not any kind of socks, Bridgedale merino trekking socks. I am in fact placing an order for £150 in socks. All my friends, and their kids, who either ski or hike will get socks.

Am I mad, or is this gift a bit.... erm pants ?

Graciescotland Mon 03-Nov-14 14:27:50

My DH loves proper woolen socks so he's be delighted. I always quietly bemoan the fact that no one gets me socks for christmas so I'd be happy too.

QuintsTombWithAWiew Mon 03-Nov-14 15:31:04

Thanks that is reassuring. I dont want to waste money but actually give useful presents.

rockinghorseShit Mon 03-Nov-14 15:43:01

great idea, I would live to get some good quality socks for Christmas. much better than tat you won't use.

LaurieFairyCake Mon 03-Nov-14 15:45:05

Perfect present smile

trikken Mon 03-Nov-14 15:50:04

Good quality ones are fine. If they were primark ones I'd be a bit hmm . Go for it.

BooDidIScareYou Mon 03-Nov-14 15:51:02

Socks are a great present and I'd be delighted to receive some (for me non-outdoorsy, if you know me you'd never buy me any active activity type ones) socks for Christmas!

strongandlong Mon 03-Nov-14 15:56:22

They are my favourite socks, but I only have one pair. I'd love another pair.

QuintsTombWithAWiew Mon 03-Nov-14 16:00:21

Thanks! I will go ahead with the order!

CMOTDibbler Mon 03-Nov-14 16:01:36

Even dh, who hates wool with a passion, loves those. I'd be very happy too

holmessweetholmes Mon 03-Nov-14 16:02:00

Ooh - merino socks envy. I want some.

aJumpedUpPantryBoy Mon 03-Nov-14 17:04:19

I'd be thrilled. A few years ago a friend gave me beautiful merino socks for Christmas and I have to admit initially I was pleased but not thrilled.
She has ruined me for ordinary socks now! I need beautiful cashmere and merino socks.

FelixTitling Mon 03-Nov-14 17:09:27

It's a great idea. I usually buy most of my presents from one website and get everyone the same kind of present. Everyone got Seasalt welly socks from me a few years ago and loved them.

catsofa Mon 03-Nov-14 17:19:51

I have FIVE friends who have told me that those Bridgedale ones are the best ever and they don't wear anything else any more. I wish someone would buy me some!

genieg Mon 03-Nov-14 17:30:54

I would absolutely love them, or I'd like a selection of lovely soft slouchy socks for the house.

These kind of things are the perfect present as I can never justify buying anything like it for myself but they are fab if you have them.

Great idea.

RiverTam Mon 03-Nov-14 17:31:56

I did that one year, one of my better Christmas shopping experiences.

Cherrypi Mon 03-Nov-14 17:32:45

I'm knitting some. Toddler just pulled needle out argh.

Waitingonasunnyday Mon 03-Nov-14 17:58:02

I don't like fluffy itchy socks but love great walking socks and also bamboo socks. I am dropping 2-3 hints a week about bamboo socks. (I'll just buy my own after Christmas if I don't get any of course.)

ihatethecold Mon 03-Nov-14 18:08:06

Can you get me some for Xmas op? thlgrin

temporaryusername Mon 03-Nov-14 19:23:12

I love getting socks as a gift. Have never had merino ones, but don't think I would like them as I find merino wool uncomfortable next to the skin. I am very odd though, I find pure cashmere prickly and itchy. I like the fluffy long type that Joules do.

Takver Mon 03-Nov-14 19:35:32

temporaryusername, I usually can't bear wool next to the skin at all, even merino, but I have some Ulvang merino mix walking socks (bargain at £8.50 for 8 pairs on ebay!) and they are genuinely comfortable & lovely.

In fact this thread has inspired me to get a pack for my mum as an extra present smile

KnittedJimmyChoos Mon 03-Nov-14 19:42:55

I would also love socks, its a pain to buy them, I share dh now, just buy black, people dont buy socks anymore but they are a useful gift you cant have too many of.

ColdCottage Mon 03-Nov-14 19:56:09

Personally if it was going to be socks I'd like these

www.brora.co.uk/Product/Product.aspx?WebShopCodeStr=A4&WebSegmentCodeStr=S5&WebCategoryCodeStr=ZJ&StyleCodeStr=NQ007

QuintsTombWithAWiew Mon 03-Nov-14 20:12:01

You were really lucky to get Ulvang socks so cheaply Takver. They are my sons favourite socks!

Tangoandcreditcards Mon 03-Nov-14 20:22:31

I actually did this last year. I have a v large family and in laws, steps etc the present-situation can get a bit political. So I just bought all my family lovely socks. It went down v well.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now