Talk

Advanced search

What are you buying the men in your family? Including DH/DP

(25 Posts)
myotherusernameiswittyandgreat Sun 02-Nov-14 23:15:21

I am stuck for ideas with ALL of the men in my family. I have no I clue where to start so I'm after inspiration. smile

CointreauVersial Sun 02-Nov-14 23:21:20

DH - no idea
DDad - no idea
DSDad - no idea
DFIL - no idea
DB - posh leather belt
DBIL - cufflinks

Not got far with my Christmas shopping....smile

myotherusernameiswittyandgreat Sun 02-Nov-14 23:29:30

You're further along than I am grin

anyoldname76 Sun 02-Nov-14 23:44:57

this is what im buying

DH - hobgoblin tankard, hobgoblin bottle opener, affliction t shirt, walking dead monopoly and a box set of either game of thrones or walking dead

ddad - blu ray player (joint present thought)

DB - warhammer figures
dbil 1 - dvd
dbil 2 - christmas pudding voka

anyoldname76 Sun 02-Nov-14 23:46:04

apologies for my spelling, think the hot chocolate has gone to my head smile

Dancingqueen17 Mon 03-Nov-14 12:37:03

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

elQuintoConyo Mon 03-Nov-14 12:45:47

Dh: we are pooling money together to spend on the house. Might get our wedding photos printed and album bound (finally, after nearly 5 years!).

DF: he is an avid dancer with many pairs of snazzy shoes. He travels a lot doing weekend shindigs and likes to put his shoes in drawstring bags to keep them clean. I have already made him 3, he would lke some more (and some for his partner).

DFil: likes to sit in the garden with a cup of tea, doesn't like the flies that land in his cup - making him teacup covers, he'll love them.

DBils (DHs brothers): nothing, and vice versa.

Dbil (my sister's Dh): nothing.

Now we all have DC, we only.buy for DC. It is bliss.

CallingAllEngels Mon 03-Nov-14 13:17:42

DH - we only do stockings so mostly practical stuff like toiletries, sweet treats, plus a cook book and...err need some more ideas.

DF - books or dvds

Dbro - coffee giftset including, foamer. Stencils, shaker for chocolate powder, coffee syrup.

dbil - cinema voucher wrapped with some maltesers and sweets

Iamblossom Mon 03-Nov-14 13:19:38

DDad - stocking bits and a massage voucher

DH - table tennis table

TallulahTwinkletoes Mon 03-Nov-14 13:25:38

DP: I want to buy him an overnight stay in Amsterdam from groupon but it's too much so it'll be something for his car or gym habit.

DF: he cycles. I've bought him some silicone bike lights for his bike. Will get him something else bike related.

DFil: wine.

DBil: DP has two brothers. One has recently been diagnosed with aspergers so We may get him an info book. The other something xbox related.

LokiBear Mon 03-Nov-14 13:58:14

My brothers grew up loving the Coca Cola Christmas adverts. They are now fully grown men, but I found coca cola Christmas trays (metal, the size of a dinner plate) in the range. I have piled them with Christmas chocolates and a bottle of 'rudolph' coke. My DH saw them and almost burst with excitement! Brothers are also getting an mp3 player (for youngest brother) and something housey for older brother who has just left home. For my dad- micky flannigan dvd, cook book and Frys Chocolate brazils. Can't put DH'S on here in case he reads the thread!

Warmandtoasty Mon 03-Nov-14 14:13:58

I struggle with the men in my family every single year...

DH - polo tops, jeans, wallet, aftershave, slipper boots, shower gels, DVD of some sort, something to drink nice wine maybe. Stuck after that, he has a birthday and Christmas within 3 days which is rubbish!

DF - 3d puzzle some toiletries from penhaligons, DVD possibly the new mrs browns boys movie.

FIL - planet of the apes DVD, some clothes a jumper or shirt from m&s some nice chocolate

BIL - no idea! We usually do small token gifts so will be a DVD or cd most likely

Whattheduck Mon 03-Nov-14 14:19:54

Taking my dh to mykonos next june for 5 days (it was where we spent our first holiday together 25 years ago).the flights cost me £50.00 each for a return ticket and the hotel £220.00 but not got to pay for that until we are there so gives me time to save a bit more.

Whattheduck Mon 03-Nov-14 14:21:57

Forgot to add
Db - a book and sweets
Df - a jumper and a book
Fil - dh will get his probably be whisky or an item of clothing

MrsWOLF1 Mon 03-Nov-14 15:40:37

Dh leather mule slippers beard oil & comb wallet book
Ds money old spice set book clothes
Dss fifa 15 American candy gift card for sports direct

LikeSilver Mon 03-Nov-14 15:45:32

DH - a Cookie Monster onesie, beard wash and beard oil, Scandi crime fiction books, giant marshmallows, a dinosaur mug, Christmas socks, jeans from Gap (they are the only ones that fit him nicely), and a ticket to a football match over Christmas (we can't afford his season ticket since having DC).

DF - I've made a 'movie night in' hamper to share with his wife - Amazon voucher, popcorn maker, popcorn seasoning, chocolates, personalised Cokes, Christmas candles and a cosy throw.

Stepdad - DD and I have made Christmas chutney, blackberry and apple jam, a mini Christmas cake, chilli jam and will make fudge to put in a hamper for him. He will adore this.

DFiL - so far wine and Ferrero Rocher. He is really hard to buy for!

DBiLs - nothing, we just buy for each other's children.

MizLizLemon Mon 03-Nov-14 15:59:44

Dad- two vintage books about the town he lives in, he likes that kind of thing.

BIL1- horrible coasters with "Pete's (not real name) bar" on them. It's a kind of joke present as him and sis inherited a cocktail bar unit that BIL loves but sis hates and insists he keeps a cloth over at all times.

BIL2- no bloody idea, hope sis2 will give me some ideas.

DB- Top Gear book, obvious but he will like.

Step dad- Help for Heroes calendar for his home office.

DH- so far all he's got are some Reeces Pieces and a pair of minion pjs. I was going to get him some noise cancelling headphones he wanted but he only went and buggering bought them for himself at the airport.

smilingthroughgrittedteeth Mon 03-Nov-14 16:05:00

DP - a watch, jelly bean dispenser and a huge box of jelly beans and a stocking with useful stuff like deodorant, soap, razors, shaving foam etc.

Dgrandad - no idea

GlowWine Mon 03-Nov-14 16:27:28

Like most people I struggle with DH every year, not helped that his birthday is the same week!
Also he never want anything or expresses likes. He's really into reading books but mostly feeds that by using the library.

This year I am really please I managed: (this covers both BD & XM)

New toiletries bag (old one bust) filled with chocolate tablets and plasters
A waterproof high-viz cycling coat. (existing one not brill)
Spoke lights, and anything else bike-related I can think of
Keyring and mobile phone cover (existing ones worn out)

The even more boring things that crop up every year: Socks and novelty boxers...

In the past I have done (the ones I can remember):

Something chocolate: Made a hamper, or some novelty items, posh slabs, etc etc
Amazon voucher (when I was completely stumped)
Kindle (he still prefers the library)
Historical OS Map set for our area (kind of relevant to his research/work)
Watch (multiple times, even quality ones get killed eventually)
Wallet (ditto)
Belt (ditto)
Alarm clock (radio controlled is great)
A beerbods subscription

And the best thing is that my parents and in-laws also ask me if I have any ideas what to get him as they're stuck. If I had any I would not give them out grin. My parents now stick to giving some money and a minor novelty.

My DF is really quite easy - I usually find an interesting non-fiction book for him at the Book People. Travel, Explorers, Polar Regions...

My DFIL is really hard again but does like gardening so there have been plenty of options. This year tough he's getting a set of souvenir tea towels - it's a family specific present that really works.

Other adults in my families we've agreed not do exchange gifts any more. And my teenage Nephew / Godson has been getting GAME/ITunes vouchers for years now.

But I'll be reading this thread with interest!

marne2 Mon 03-Nov-14 17:04:28

Dh wants a xbox steering wheel, I have got him a F1 t shirt and cap, will get him some chocolate and maybe a mug. I always struggle to find things for him and I often buy the wrong thing, usually we chose our own presents or we buy something for the house as a joint gift to ourselves.

PumpkinsMummy Mon 03-Nov-14 18:48:09

anyoldname76 theres walking dead monopoly??!! Thank you thank you thank you, thats DH sorted!

MrsPear Mon 03-Nov-14 20:27:11

Dh - shower gel and face cream from l occitane or however you spell it and a polo shirt

Df - a jumper and slippers

DB - gardening gloves as in good ones as it is work. They have already arrived and feel lovely

Curlygirly Mon 03-Nov-14 21:12:08

Ooh GlowWine just had a look to see what Beerbods was. Perfect for DH. Just ordered for his birthday this week!

Only two men to buy for.

Dad - gets single malt every year, so is v easy! Might get him a board game or a jumper too.

Dp - a variation on what he always gets which is: something to read, something to listen to, something to go jogging with or in, something to wear, something smelly (ie 'posh' shower gel), something (or lots of things) to eat.

AmberNectarine Tue 04-Nov-14 07:37:58

My dad selfishly gave up drinking 10y ago which totally buggered up my gifting. No idea what he'll be getting - I'll probably nag him til he chooses something from the Screwfix catalogue.

DH will get CDs and DVDs that he will ask for, clothes that he won't ask for, PJs, underwear etc. I bought him a MacBook Air for his birthday so I feel like I'm still in credit at the moment smile

My brothers and I agreed no adult presents which just makes life a great deal easier.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now