Talk

Advanced search

Advent calendar fillers

(17 Posts)
HexBramble Sun 02-Nov-14 15:40:56

I've just bought a lovely stitched advent calendar and I plan on putting in something each for DD's. Apart from small chocs, please can I have some ideas on what can go in? Not expensive either please!

PotteringAlong Sun 02-Nov-14 15:46:55

How old are they?

Hair clips? Hot chocolate sachets? Pencils? Pound shops are your friends!

ClaudetteWyms Sun 02-Nov-14 16:21:07

Mine likes money blush - doesn't have to be big coins, just 20p here, 50p there. She is 6.

Also choc coins, small Xmassy things (hairclips, stickers etc.)

attheendoftheday Sun 02-Nov-14 16:34:05

Finger puppets, plastic animals, balloons or any other bits left over from birthdays, big sheets of stickers cut up into little pieces.

HexBramble Sun 02-Nov-14 16:41:16

Sorry - should have said. DD's are 8 & 6. Great suggestions already!

What can I put in on the 23rd and 24th to make it extra special?

iwantavuvezela Sun 02-Nov-14 16:47:56

You need to go to a big stationery shop and somewhere like Claire's.

I have bought nice stamps, gold and silver ink pads for stamps and divided those up
Clips
Little necklaces for special days on calendar
Erasures
Highlighter pens
Sharpeners
Hair bands
Post it pads

Also look around toy shop pocket money toys and you might find some smallish gifts.

HexBramble Sun 02-Nov-14 16:53:08

Fab.
Top ideas here.
Thanks loads.

Oh and one in return - lip balms!
DD's love them.

britishbakeoffblues Sun 02-Nov-14 16:58:19

I used to do this for my dsd and her sister.
I used to put nail varnish, hair clips, little note pads, small toys, then for 24th, I would put them a little piece of jewellery, like a personalised bracelet or initial necklace - not an expensive one - just Avon or the like.
They loved them the whole thing used to cost me a fortune!

curiousgeorgie Sun 02-Nov-14 17:20:05

I put notes in. Things like 'Christmas is coming, time to decorate the tree!'

Or,

'You've been such a good girl this year, Santa thinks you deserve a treat!' And tickets to something.

Or last year when we went to longleat 'Santa is so busy that he hasn't had time to wish the animals a merry Christmas... Could you do it for him?'

And then days when it's just activities like 'watch Elf with mummy' or 'write a Christmas list and send it to the North Pole!'

It went down so well last year!

Glenshee Sun 02-Nov-14 17:21:05

Vouchers for late bedtime, computer playing time or similar treats smile

flightywoman Sun 02-Nov-14 17:29:38

I was going to ask same q as we've been given lovely hand-knitted mini stockings, so thanks for these ideas!

I think I'll add in a few v cheap and small pocket money toys.

LegoCaltrops Sun 02-Nov-14 19:37:37

Our DD is 2.6 so we are doing some tiny Lindt figures, little packets of raisins, little bottle of bubbles, a few magnets, some cut up sheets of lenticular/hologram stickers stickers, and a harmonica which we've discovered will fit (just) into one of the pockets. Maybe a Playmobil figure.

QuicheMama Sun 02-Nov-14 21:18:42

I have a playmobil nativity and put a character or section in it most days, along with part of the story. And chocolate too. Best bit of Christmas IMO smile

nocutsnobuttsnococonuts Mon 03-Nov-14 11:17:41

Lego minifigure
moshi monster figure or other little figures they like
stickers
keyring

on 24th how about clues to find a Christmas eve hamper - DVD, reindeer food and new mug for hot choc?

HexBramble Tue 04-Nov-14 15:55:36

I have a very basic nativity set and am thinking of getting another.

Any recommendations?

goldenlilliesdaffodillies Tue 04-Nov-14 18:54:17

Blotts rubbers are great for this. Last year I alternated between a chocolate coin/santa and a different Blott rubber. Mini lego figures are good too (could always get a job lot of used, washed ones from ebay?)
This year I have bought a cheap bracelet and lots of little beads which look like pandora bracelet beads but are very cheap from e-bay with words like 'wish', 'daughter' etc and beads which are to do with things she likes such as particular animals or hobbies.

HexBramble Tue 04-Nov-14 20:42:50

Great idea golden.
Thanks!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now