Talk

Advanced search

Does anyone have a buffet Christmas day?

(10 Posts)
PumpkinPie2013 Sun 02-Nov-14 15:22:03

Hello smile

We are having some family round this Christmas day - there will be 10 of us in total (our ds will be 13 months everyone else adults or eats adult portions).

Our oven isn't huge and I won't have loads of time to cook as obviously it will be ds first 'proper' Christmas.

SIL (who is one of the people coming) suggested doing a buffet rather than a full cooked meal as we are all going out on Christmas Eve for a meal.

Has anyone done this? What sort of thing do you put on your buffet?

I want it to be special as it's Christmas but am a bit clueless.

All ideas gratefully received smile

wibblyjelly Sun 02-Nov-14 16:45:26

We do a buffet tea Christmas day night. Left over turkey, salmon side, ham, lots of nibbley bits from Iceland, and cakes etc. Muffins and crumpets are left next to the toaster to help yourself to smile

Coconutty Sun 02-Nov-14 16:47:52

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

BatsCantTwerk Sun 02-Nov-14 16:50:51

Cooked turkey or a nice joint of ham (hot) with crusty bread, pickles, salad, cheese board.

Ohhelpohnoitsa Sun 02-Nov-14 22:16:51

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

bogiesaremyonlyfriend Mon 03-Nov-14 20:47:38

We are having a buffet Christmas Day as going out for Christmas dinner on Boxing Day. So far I'm thinking turkey and ham, crusty bread- part baked so it will be warm, apple sauce, stuffing to make nice sandwiches. A cheese board and crackers. Or maybe cheese to bake. Nice fruit. veg crudités. Some fancy crisps. Maybe a pizza and some nibbles- the kind in frozen party sections. I think it will be nice. We plan in having it later on though with a big breakfast to prolong the Christmas fun smile

Watching for more ideas

MrsPear Mon 03-Nov-14 20:54:56

We have one on Boxing Day, my sister and i agree it is the best bit! All the left meats, dh does a nice salad (a tradition he started), part bake rolls, mum does m and s prepared potatoes, sister does her coleslaw and any other random savoury bits that are found. All laid out around the kitchen work tops with plates at the beginning. Tis fab

MrsPear Mon 03-Nov-14 20:59:08

In fact Christmas dinner is also served as buffet style on the kitchen work tops. It means everyone gets what they want and the cook does not get stressed remembering who wants Brussels or not. My mum has picked up a few serving dishes from charity shops and as long as work tops are kept cleaned and cleared it looks fine. My sister cooks and i clean and get service ready . She has a written plan which i read and then i don't stress her by cleaning the wrong bit!

GertrudePerkins Mon 03-Nov-14 21:01:23

I'll be doing a buffet on Christmas day

DH is working late that day, and I can't be arsed washing up a big roast dinner by myself, so reckon a buffet (with paper plates) is the answer. Quite looking forward to it actually.

We'll have a ham, maybe a couple of turkey legs, a home made pork pie, lots of pickles, cheese board, sausage rolls - basically beige foods, with little nutritional content.

lecherrs Tue 04-Nov-14 02:53:05

We always do a buffet for Christmas Day tea. It usually includes nice cheeses like a baked Camembert, Brie, Stilton, Wensleydale and champagne (local shop sells at Christmas - lovely!!) with a nice range of breads and then some nibbles to go with it. I actually prefer this meal to our main Christmas dinnersmile.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now