Talk

Advanced search

Advent calendar for 10 yr old girl who doesn't like chocolate, sweets or Lego!

(19 Posts)
MilkThistle187 Sun 02-Nov-14 11:21:43

That's it really, my boys are happy with M&S chocolate ones since they passed the Lego stage but dd is much harder work. For the last 2 years I have been buying vintage LPS figures on ebay and putting them in parcels and hanging on an advent tree type thing but it's Hard Work organising and I'm lazy I'd love to just buy something this year!

She loves Monster High and dolls in general still, Littlest Pet Shops, but only the old ones not the revamped version, arts and crafts, etc

Any ideas? Thanks smile

amyhamster Sun 02-Nov-14 11:23:45

Just get a nice picture one?

BrieAndChilli Sun 02-Nov-14 11:28:53

How oldis she? There is a frozen one, barbie one, play mobile Xmas one, Spongebob one etc all with little figures/assessories in

Jbck Sun 02-Nov-14 11:38:35

I do similar for older DD but different things little hair accessories, homemade vouchers for stuff to do just her and I, money some days she's a great saver. You're right though it takes organising.
Would she like a vintage style picture one but you could do a special treat just with her as she's getting different than her brothers?
Lunch out or Something she enjoys.

Raeray Sun 02-Nov-14 12:10:16

There's a nail varnish one - but I'm not sure if that's aimed at an older age group? Maybe have a little google and see if that's something she may like smile

elQuintoConyo Sun 02-Nov-14 12:15:11

Crikey, just one with pictures? Is she that bothered? Have you asked what she'd like? One with activities rather than gifts? The thought of 25 mini gifts in an advent calendar + Christmas Eve hamper + Elf on Shelf + stocking + gifts gets out of hand and way too much work.

Does she feel too old for advent calendars?

meglet Sun 02-Nov-14 12:16:03

One with pictures. Waterstones and Paperchase stock them.

CaulkheadUpNorth Sun 02-Nov-14 12:20:26

Some friends got an empty box one (tk maxx, pretty large) and put a few jigsaw pieces in each box. Their child then made the jigsaw during advent.

christmascazza Sun 02-Nov-14 12:25:11

Tesco have a frozen one which has beauty bits in it like lip gloss, nail varnish etc.

mrsruffallo Sun 02-Nov-14 12:27:21

There are loads that you open and there are different nativity scenes. She sounds a bit fussy if you ask me.

fuzzpig Sun 02-Nov-14 12:28:47

I think I saw a monster high calendar that had make up type stuff in

Whiskwarrior Sun 02-Nov-14 12:29:34

I've always bought my kids the ones with pictures. I'm the oldest of four and we all had them growing up - Mum bought chocolate ones once and we found them really disappointing. We used to look forward to what little pictures we'd get and compare them. My three love theirs each year. I get them from WHSmiths or Clintons - apparently they're becoming more popular each year.

But I also have a felt one with pockets and I put those little chocolates you get in nets in for each morning (before I get called a Grinch).

nic013 Sun 02-Nov-14 14:08:52

How about combining an advent with decorations?

You could cut 24 circles of Xmas style fabric, put a mini gift in each, bunch up and tie with string and peg to a ribbon/string and draw numbers on each one with a sharpie.
How about splitting baking/sewing/knitting/jewellery making sets and putting a bit in each bundle. There are loads of these in Poundland /99p shop/ Wilkos/Asda. Maybe some days put recipes/patterns in?

Perspective21 Sun 02-Nov-14 15:53:54

My DDs are having for the first time, a nail varnish calendar. I've bought felt trees with pockets and stocked up on nail varnish offers, many worked out at 50p each with bogoffs and reductions. One DD is 11 and one 14. There will be no other chocolate or sweets hanging around but I know they'll love this.

guitargirl Sun 02-Nov-14 17:39:21

I have the Frozen cosmetics one for DD this year and this picture one.

DD is 7 so younger than yours, I have my eye on this one for next year maybe.

stealthsquiggle Sun 02-Nov-14 17:41:28

I have got DD this - charm bracelet with a charm each day.

stealthsquiggle Sun 02-Nov-14 17:42:14

(In other words, exactly the same as guitargirl's last link!)

MilkThistle187 Sun 02-Nov-14 19:54:03

Thanks so much for the suggestions, but esp Stealth and Guitargirl. The bracelet is PERFECT, she will love it!

She is fussy MrsRuffalo, the apple didn't fall far from the tree wink

Itsfab Sun 02-Nov-14 19:56:33

Last year mine had traditional calendars with pictures behind the doors and the whole thing covered in glitter. They liked trying to guess what or who was behind the door. I thought they would be disappointed as they have had chocolate calendars in previous years but they loved them.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now