Talk

Advanced search

Present ideas please - lots of kids, various ages

(21 Posts)
KeithLeMonde Sat 01-Nov-14 21:03:51

Can anyone help with genius suggestions pretty please?

We are meeting up with DH's family in a couple of weeks and anal super-organised SIL has decreed suggested that we should bring Christmas presents to discreetly swap in person. Not to be opened then and there but swapped amongst the parents, behind the kids' backs, to be brought out and opened on Christmas Day. Saves postage - sensible enough. Just suddenly realised that it means I need to choose and shop for all the cousins!

So.............. nine kids to buy for, as follows: girl (16), girl (15), boy (13), girl (12), boy and girl (both 10), boy and girl (both 8), girl (6). Budget no more than £10 each. I work full time so ideally I want to be able to buy online without paying £££££ in postage (don't mind paying if I can buy all gifts from the same place though!)

In previous years I have given books but have decided against it this year as, while some of them love books, some definitely don't, and while a high-minded instructive present is OK every now and again, it seems a bit mean to do it year after year. No craft kids for the girls or sports things for the boys as I have done those to death for birthdays (hey, they love them, but a bit predictable now............)

Any amazing ideas very gratefully received so I can bask in the glow of being such a great auntie and chooser of presents (hem hem). Thank you smile

marne2 Sat 01-Nov-14 21:18:36

For the older girls, maybe body shop ( they often have offers online ), lush bath bombs ( I think they do a gift box for £10 ) or make up sets, hair chalk, maybe stationary for the 12 year old. Maybe books for the 10 year olds ( lots of good books on offer, book people ), lego sets for the younger ones ( amazon ).

marne2 Sat 01-Nov-14 21:19:51

Sorry, just seen ' no books ', maybe science kits. ( make your own bath bombs/soap, volcano kit etc..).

Fresh01 Sat 01-Nov-14 21:23:19

Sounds like my SIL and numbers of cousins : ) How about Boots online 3 for 2, delivered to home or to a store? Make up sets or make up brushes for older ones. Funky slipper socks, board games or lip balm/bath type stuff or electric toothbrushes. The website is slow but covers a lot of ages.

jThompson Sun 02-Nov-14 08:08:31

My 10 and 8 year olds enjoyed me digging out my old videos of films and TV series bthe haven't seen.
The Chronicles of Narnia www.amazon.co.uk/The-Chronicles-Of-Narnia-DVD/dp/B000AWKSYQ, Maid Marion and her merry men were the favorite's.

RedButtonhole Sun 02-Nov-14 08:14:23

For the older boy there is a new bop-it game out that is like DJ decks which I saw and thought was pretty, cool- not sire of price though but you get mini bop it games that area bit cheaper too. For the older girls I'd go with make up or gift boxes from lush- or maybe a posh hair product gift set- those are often on offer in boots.

Not so sure about the younger ones, I'll have a think!

FriskyMare Sun 02-Nov-14 08:24:19

I would second the Boots 3 for 2, they have lots of jack Wills sets which would take you under the £10 mark for the older ones.

insanityscratching Sun 02-Nov-14 08:42:02

For the oldest four zip headphones on 3 for 2 in Boots so £8 each. This for the 8 and 10 year old boys. Playmobil for the six year old and this for the 8yo girl. Finally this for the ten year old girl.
All from Boots and all on three for two so sill cost you less than £10 per child and you could order them to store and pick up in your lunch hour.

Wait4nothing Sun 02-Nov-14 08:44:55

On the boots theme:
Outdoor toys
m.boots.com/mt/www.boots.com/en/Air-Storm-Sky-Ripperz-3-Pack_1451151/
Toothbrush set
m.boots.com/mt/www.boots.com/en/Hello-Kitty-Toothbrush-Timer-Gift-Set_1441620/
Soap and glory mini set (very popular teen brand)
m.boots.com/mt/www.boots.com/en/Soap-Glory-8482-Clean-Getaway-Gift_1444102/
Even older kids like this
m.boots.com/mt/www.boots.com/en/Paper-Plane-Making-Kit_1500564/

FrogGreen Sun 02-Nov-14 08:50:36

watching closely for ideas as I'm in a similar situation this Christmas. I've also done books, crafty things and lego to death. although my lego presents were never as cool as that off road car insanity

attheendoftheday Sun 02-Nov-14 10:33:03

For the younger ones you could give a stomp rocket or a marble run? Both available on amazon for less than your budget.

For the bigger ones how about a lava lamp or a box of retro sweets? Again under £10 on amazon.

Harrin Sun 02-Nov-14 12:23:11

I know you said no books but these aren't reading books... How about the wreck it journal or pointless book for the teens? They seem to be the in thing around here because of the YouTubers?

Boots gift sets also a good idea. As a last resort how about iTunes vouchers or xbox points? Not very exciting but they always want credits for those if they have the kit

306235388 Sun 02-Nov-14 13:05:06

8 and 10 yo boys - I know it's a book but Guinness world records? Ds loves it.

6yo girl - www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1409507858/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1414933433&sr=8-1&pi=SY200_QL40 book again but a fun one??

306235388 Sun 02-Nov-14 13:09:25

this for youngest girl?

Elvish Sun 02-Nov-14 13:29:11

I'd do vouchers for the older ones, clothes shops or as pp mentioned iTunes or there is a voucher for the android app store. In fact you could do toy shop vouchers for the smaller ones or somewhere they can buy clothes like Next? My DD loves choosing her own clothes and her best birthday present this year was a trip to Next with grandma to choose some clothes.

tassisssss Sun 02-Nov-14 15:55:45

Realise you said no books but i do think "Awful Auntie" the new David Walliams is the perfect book for such! And I reckon boys and girls of 8 and 10 will all like it (my 11yo boy and 8 yo girl have loved it).

Or David Walliams story CDs? Or Guiness Book of Records for similar ages

KeithLeMonde Sun 02-Nov-14 17:31:35

Thanks so much all. Boots 3 for 2 is a great shout, especially as I can get it delivered to our local Boots which I pass on my way home from work - win! Especially thanks to all those lovely people who have taken the time to post links xxx

Vouchers unfortunately are a no-no (although my kids love them and they seem the ideal thing for teens) as they are loudly sniffed at by a certain SIL. I do like the idea of the pointless book etc - I am not down with the kids but I have heard of this one and suspect the teens might enjoy!

Guinness Book of Records insanely popular in our house so might look into buying those in bulk and just giving one to each kid......

Again, thanks all for the fab suggestions - not sure what I will go for as yet but reading all your suggestions has helped me get out of denial and into The Zone smile

yanasmommy Mon 03-Nov-14 12:13:42

Boots is great for the girls

I normally only give vouchers to grown-ups as it is easier for them to pick out their present instead of me getting the (good forbid) size wrong which would end in the world ending over christmas lol

For my other half, teenage boys (which is pretty much the same level as my other half lol) and kids I would suggest to have a look here for christmasy ideas - they got some lovely/fun stuff you won't find anywhere else really - at a reasonable price.

hope it helps - im pretty much myself thinking and thinking what to get everyone...

Inkspellme Mon 03-Nov-14 13:07:45

DVDs for older kids.
itunes vouchers.
lego for the younger kids.
mini hair straighteners for the older girls.
cinema vouchers.
phone credit.

Inkspellme Mon 03-Nov-14 13:12:00

Ahhh...just saw no vouchers!

board games a great idea.
bop it was a big hit with 10 to 14 year olds.
Another popular thing from last year is those maze ball things - clear plastic globe with a puzzle to get a ball around on.

Elvish Mon 03-Nov-14 18:25:07

Could you do a family present? A couple do DVDs, some sweets and popcorn, cheap blankets to snuggle under?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now