Talk

Advanced search

Can anyone explain nespresso machines to me?

(17 Posts)
lunar1 Sat 01-Nov-14 19:04:30

I want to get dh a nespresso machine for Christmas. There are so many different models, is there any difference in how they work? Or how good the coffee is? Dh likes strong coffee, I don't want to spend a fortune but need to get the right thing!

Any recommendations would be great.

summersanta Sat 01-Nov-14 22:17:35

It's the dog's bollocks, wouldn't be without it

NannyR Sat 01-Nov-14 22:58:00

Love mine! I have a Krups pixie - very small and neat on the work top and I have a separate milk frother jug for lattes.

Nespresso brand capsules are nice, but there are now lots of alternatives on the market. Lidl ones are ok, waitrose not so nice, there is a company called big cup little cup that does a really nice selection of capsules including some fair trade options, they are slightly cheaper than nespresso.

Princesspond Sat 01-Nov-14 23:06:14

They all take the same capsules. Some come with a milk steamer/ frother (I think these tend to be more expensive). Others need a separate aerocino (bit like a mini cordless kettle for milk). Some models automatically measure out small and large cup sizes. If you want to make lattes, cappuccino etc you need a frother of some sort. There are always good deals on at Xmas often with cashback or credit to buy capsules.

froootbat Sat 01-Nov-14 23:07:11

Irrelevant but THANK YOU I know what I am getting my entirely unhelpful husband for his birthday this month!!

TheSkiingGardener Sat 01-Nov-14 23:07:23

Nespresso make the capsules and have let a few companies make the machines. The coffee quality is always the same so you just need to get a machine that does what you want and you like the look of. Some have big water reservoirs so your not filling it up all the time, some are small so they don't take up much space. I have the Latissima as it also froths milk to make lattes and cappuccino.

tortoisesarefab Sat 01-Nov-14 23:11:35

Does your dh like cappuccinos or latte's? If so, I would get one with the milk frother. We have this m.johnlewis.com/mt/www.johnlewis.com/nespresso-m190-citiz-and-milk-coffee-machine-by-magimix-black/p230855908?un_jtt_v_pdp=yes&un_jtt_v_from_product=un_product_4#page_loaded and think it's great, had it for 3 years now and still going strong.

eyestightshut Sat 01-Nov-14 23:42:55

Just warning you it's like crack cocaine for the middle aged- NOTHING is worse as a novice Nespresso owner than having run out of capsules (we'll never get through 20 in a week!)and having to sit bleary eyed and dull, waiting for the (UPS)man. Ours has been hammered on a daily basis for the last 5 years and is still going strong. We even have a Nespresso emergency fund so if our machine breaks we can dash to John Lewis to buy a new one. We are not addicted at all,no sites

lunar1 Mon 03-Nov-14 12:21:06

Thank you for the advice, I keep looking but there are so many to chose from. I have a milk frother so don't need that bit. I'll have a look for offers.

Aghaidh Mon 03-Nov-14 12:37:19

I got DH the Pixie last year, and it has gone down as one of the best gifts ever. We used to use a stovetop maker, so the Nespresso was originally for occasional use. However, I've been pregnant most of the year, so it has been perfect for him to use by himself. Really easy to clean and manage, and the coffee tastes great too (have only every used the Nespresso capsules). Would highly recommend it.

Aghaidh Mon 03-Nov-14 12:38:20

Oh and with the strength of coffee - they make a variety of different strengths, so you can pick and choose which ones you like.

GooseyLoosey Mon 03-Nov-14 12:41:26

The coffee is great. I love coffee and have had a variety of very expensive machines over the years - the nespresso machine consistently makes the best coffee.

Nanasueathome Mon 03-Nov-14 12:43:00

Get one with milk frother built in if possible
There is a £75 credit at the moment on these machines, £25 off each of next 3 pod purchases, but only for the machines with the frother
They are really good and coffee comes jn different strengths and flavours as well if you like a variation
I have 2 machines, one in the kitchen and one on my bedside table for my quick morning fix

lunar1 Wed 05-Nov-14 12:56:36

I ordered a magi mix one with the milk thing and a pod holder. I got the £75 voucher deal too.

I just need to figure out what coffee to buy now. He likes strong, sweet coffee. Any suggestions?

georgeousgeorge Wed 05-Nov-14 15:27:07

There is a pack of mixed coffees... I would buy this for a start as it is great trying the different ones. Then buy specific ones when he's knows which he likes!

duckbilled Wed 05-Nov-14 17:06:08

I bought dh one last Christmas in the amazon black friday deals, and was still able to claim £50 credit for capsules, so it only cost me £50 really! It was a great deal, however i am now also addicted confused

impossiblefold Wed 25-Nov-15 10:44:47

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now