Talk

Advanced search

What do you read at Christmas?

(13 Posts)
0pheliaBalls Sat 01-Nov-14 07:33:47

We have a tradition in our house where we all re-read A Christmas Carol in the week before Christmas, but I also love reading Christmassy stuff from November onwards. I love short story anthologies with a ghostly theme - currently reading The Mistletoe Bride. In fact last year Kate Mosse's The Winter Ghosts was in my run-up reading, was wonderful. I love to re-read my 'comfort classics' at Christmas too, things like Wuthering Heights and Jane Eyre. Do you have any old favourites you return to at Christmas or are you a sucker for a festive ghost story like me?! And is there anything you'd recommend for my Christmas to-read pile?

dreamcometrue Sat 01-Nov-14 09:43:40

The Christmas mystery by jostein garder (children's bk but lovely)
Miss read: the Christmas mouse and I think the other one is called Christmas at fair acre
Lost Christmas

Going to read winter ghosts!

NormHonal Sat 01-Nov-14 09:45:58

This Year It Will Be Different by Maeve Binchy.

A collection of short stories with a Christmas theme, some showing their age now but all with messages about love, family, and what's really important at Christmas time. It's a good read in the run-up as a way to stay focused on what's important and keep some perspective!

Pointlessfan Sat 01-Nov-14 09:46:16

I always read Bridget Jones' Diary at Xmas. I don't know why because apart from the ending it's not especially Christmassy and I more or less know it backwards. I think it just makes me laugh. Looking forward to reading children's Christmas stories when DD is old enough.

flightywoman Sat 01-Nov-14 09:50:29

I like to read The Dark is Rising by Susan Cooper. And sometimes The Long Winter by Laura Ingalls Wilder. Collected Sherlock Holmes is a winter fireside read too.

colleysmill Sat 01-Nov-14 09:51:16

My guilty pleasure in the run up to Christmas is Winter Solstice by Rosamunde Pilcher.

BuilderMammy Sat 01-Nov-14 09:53:37

Oh yes, Christmas as Fairacre is lovely. I read Susan Cooper's The Dark is Rising Trilogy. I've a Chalet School Christmas anthology that DH got me a few years ago (clever man!). And the Children of Green Knowe, and the Box of Delights.

I might go mad and branch out into adult books this year blush

CMOTDibbler Sat 01-Nov-14 09:54:22

I always read the Dark is Rising too!

And The Box of Delights by John Masefeld

CMOTDibbler Sat 01-Nov-14 09:55:27

And I crossed posts with BuilderMammy as I was thinking of Green Knowe as well once I'd pressed post

0pheliaBalls Sat 01-Nov-14 10:28:30

Some lovely suggestions smile

Last year I also read Lost Christmas, another children's book but absolutely lovely. Made me cry. Will re-read this year. Children's books at Christmas take us all back to our childhood I think smile

Also love Christmas At Cold Comfort Farm and also the original Cold Comfort farm. Lovely cosy snuggly reading smile

dreamcometrue Sat 01-Nov-14 12:19:36

I didn't know there was a Christmas cold comfort one! That's my dad's Christmas present sorted! :-)
Yes to this year will be different. It's lovely.
I read my high school form lost Christmas. They loved it.

0pheliaBalls Sat 01-Nov-14 12:24:24

dreamcometrue it's actually a short story anthology and is slightly deceptively titled given that only one if them is set on Cold Comfort Farm! But it's gorgeous nonetheless smile

LapsedTwentysomething Sat 01-Nov-14 13:36:03

I also like Jostein Gaarder's Christmas Mystery as an advent book. I have the Dickens Christmas Stories anthology (think that's what it's called). Love the idea of all reading A Christmas Carol the week before.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now