Talk

Advanced search

Elf on the Shelf for Older Children (12+)

(12 Posts)
mumtoone1 Fri 31-Oct-14 12:30:22

I bought an elf on the shelf from Aliexpress on impulse and wonder if anyone does this for old kids?

my son is 12.5 so no longer "believes" and wonder if anyone has any ideas as to how to introduce Elf on the Shelf into the home?

Pagwatch Fri 31-Oct-14 12:35:33

I will admit i don't like the entire concept of elf on the shelf but I am wondering what the point would be for a child who doesn't believe in Santa.

If I suggested elf n the shelf to 12 year old DD she would think I had lost the plot.
I genuinely don't understand what the point would be.
Sorry

Daisyblue76 Fri 31-Oct-14 12:35:51

I have bought an elf from Jingleselves.co.uk to do the same with my DD (7) this xmas, there are some tips on 'Elf Antics' but they may still not be 'cool' for a 12.5 year old.... Keep us updated!!

Mummyboo30 Fri 31-Oct-14 13:41:51

It can still be a good bit of christmas fun! Perhaps you and DS could take turns in making elf "mischief" around the house? smile

MirandaWest Fri 31-Oct-14 13:45:35

If you had younger children as well then I could see why you'd do it but probably not if just one child. My 9 and 11 year olds will enjoy their advent calendars but partly as we've had them for several years rather than starting something new this year.

tanya1312 Fri 31-Oct-14 15:38:45

I introduced it last year to my now 11 year old but she still believed/believes xx

DillydollyRIP Fri 31-Oct-14 15:54:08

I think it's quite a fun thing to do anyway. Lots of funny ideas on Pinterest.

HolgerDanske Fri 31-Oct-14 20:41:42

Yes if it's an older child I wouldn't bother with the pretence, tbh. I'd just make it a tradition to take it in turns thinking of and setting up funny or interesting scenarios. Maybe take a photo of each one and make a Christmas calendar for the following year?

LoveVintage Fri 31-Oct-14 21:41:12

Challenge him to get the elf into mischief every day for you to find. Sound right up a twelve year olds street!

mumtoone1 Sat 01-Nov-14 09:45:48

Thanks guys. To my suprise I came in from work last night to find the elf up high sitting on the frame of a painting i have and got such a fright. I then heard DS and DH sniggering in the corner so it looks like it will be used to prank mom!

I8toys Sat 01-Nov-14 11:58:02

My children are 9 and 11 - got one 2 years ago and they would be disappointed if Jingle Crackerbottom didn't come each year and cause chaos. He's wrapped up their schoolbags, changed their school shoes for elf shoes, left raisin poos, hung their pants on the tree......I must admit I am running out of ideas but pinterest has some great ideas.

bigTillyMint Sat 01-Nov-14 17:52:29

Am loving that they are using it to prank you - definitely a great teen idea!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now