Talk

Advanced search

LaplandUK or Longleat?

(23 Posts)
MrsPiddlewink Thu 30-Oct-14 10:44:43

Quite a difference in price, but don't mind paying more if it's worth it.

Anyone have any experience of either?

curiousgeorgie Thu 30-Oct-14 14:16:25

I haven't been to Lapland, but we went to longleat just before Christmas last year and hated it.

There was literally nothing good about it. And we've been a few times and love it as a safari park... It was just very overpriced and nothing for Christmas. The 'market' was about 4 stalls selling nothing I can even remember, the Santa train was a freezing ride to a muddy clearing and about two seconds with Santa and he didn't even say my daughters name.

The safari was so busy I couldn't take it so we just got out of it as quickly as possible.

Lapland must be better than that right??

Guitarghoul Thu 30-Oct-14 14:30:50

I haven't been to Longleat but have been to Lapland UK last year. It was good and definitely better than curious's experience above. But am sure I remember reading positive reviews of Longleat Christmas on here before?

ilovelamp82 Thu 30-Oct-14 15:28:23

I hope it's not as bad as that. I've already booked Longleat for this year and was excited. I'd only heard good things about it.

curiousgeorgie Thu 30-Oct-14 15:57:01

I'd only heard good things about it before I went. I think last year was famously a let down. A few friends have also been and hated it for Christmas last year...

iloveholidays Thu 30-Oct-14 16:04:18

My friend went last year and had a nightmare but due to weather. It was during all the storms and train wasn't running, all sounded like a disaster. To be fair they were given tickets to go again this year but it's definitely put her going again at Christmas. All the problems were down to the weather but I think there was a lack of organisation as well.

TarkaTheOtter Thu 30-Oct-14 18:03:35

If you're near to longleat you might want to consider westonbirt arboretum's enchanted Christmas light display. It's quite low key - no grotto for example, but nice carousel, market, reindeer as well as the illuminated walk.

MrsPiddlewink Thu 30-Oct-14 18:48:09

We're a couple of hours+ from Westonbirt, and had considered it as a weekend away treat (incorporating Bath too) but Santa is priority!

MrsPiddlewink Thu 30-Oct-14 18:48:57

Our kids are 8, 5 and 3 and I feel this may be the last year that DS1 fully believes so want it to be special.

MrsPiddlewink Thu 30-Oct-14 18:51:05

Very open to other suggestions! After a whole day at work spent searching, LaplandUK and Longleat seemed t5ge best bets.

MrsPiddlewink Thu 30-Oct-14 18:54:51

The other thing I had considered was a London theatre visit - and a shop Santa -Harrods/Hamleys...?

DoughnutSelfie Thu 30-Oct-14 19:00:46

Ahh came over all misty about LaplandUK/DotFox then, just for a minute

Ahem

Iirc Harrods grotto books up really fast, don't hang about

MrsPiddlewink Thu 30-Oct-14 19:10:41

LaplandUK/DotFox?

MrsPiddlewink Thu 30-Oct-14 19:12:46

Yes you're right DoughnutSelfie

4lovelychildren Thu 30-Oct-14 19:21:53

Legoland? We really enjoyed it last year and the Santa part was lovely.

MrsPiddlewink Thu 30-Oct-14 19:25:03

Had looked at Legoland - certainly cheaper, but not sure it'd be 'magical' enough <fussy>

Guitarghoul Thu 30-Oct-14 20:01:23

Harrods tickets go on sale in September, you could always try and call them as they do get returns. We booked our tickets as soon as we were able to and we only managed to get a week night in November.

Your kids are a good age for Lapland UK IMO, our DCs were 6 and 4 when we went.

TheHouseonHauntedHill Thu 30-Oct-14 20:50:15

mrspiddle

I have just come back from Longleat today, they are setting up the largest display of chinese lanterns ever seen in Europe, just driving in, in day light they looked out of this world.

I just dont think anything else will compare its going to be a once in a lifetime thing check out website.,

infront of hte house, all the animals, then a huge huge beautiful dragon, along side life size tea house, flowers, huge water lillies..

I have not been at xmas, but I honeslty think this year with this display if you can go you will never forget it. A huge field full of chinese people all setting it up at work, looked amazing.

I also love longleat safari park in general, great staff, attractive setting and good lay out.

TheHouseonHauntedHill Thu 30-Oct-14 20:51:24

Without a doubt I would do longleat this year, i dont think it will ever be same again unless they do chinese thing again. try others next year.

MrsPiddlewink Tue 04-Nov-14 11:28:39

We're going with Longleat. However weekend santa slots are all booked. Do you think it will be worth going without a visit to Santa? Or will we regret not doing it when we are there? We could take a day of school - but is it worth it?

TheHouseonHauntedHill Tue 04-Nov-14 15:35:04

Oh wow grin I really hope you like it!

We had to book to go back, I think its once in a life time thing. I hope it is.

We are taking day off blush as we could also only get train on school days.

I have not done train before but googled it and it looks good.

TheHouseonHauntedHill Tue 04-Nov-14 15:36:33

Tips I have read are...get to house early ish so characters have time to spend with dc and chat, later on its a crowd control situ moving you along. it gets v cold, esp on train.

animal areas shut at 4 ish apparently, like jungle kingdom so do all that and book train i suppose when its dark ish and when other stuff has shut.

TheHouseonHauntedHill Tue 04-Nov-14 15:37:23

ps we get our longleat tickets through tesco so cost not as bad for us. but still a massive treat but we have never taken dc to see santa anywhere before., just praying it doesnt rain!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now