Talk

Advanced search

Reusable advent calendar ideas

(10 Posts)
iloveholidays Wed 29-Oct-14 21:59:41

So, I have a couple of reusable advent calendars. I'm torn... Do I get lots of gifts to put in them (I have 3 DDs), do I fill them with activities or do I just fill with chocolate?

If gifts, what can I put in that don't cost much? Would prefer useable items rather than party bag tat/toys. All I can think of is hair clips/bobbles, balloons, nail varnish.

Also Looking for activities, easy and harder that I can do in the build up.

Thank you.

BonaDea Wed 29-Oct-14 22:06:50

I had one of these many moons ago (I'm 35!).

My mum did a sweet or chocolate every other day. Then on the alternate days she did little things like
Lip balm, hair clip, novelty rubber/pen, mini post its, brooch/badge...

nic013 Wed 29-Oct-14 22:12:35

What about putting a challenge or puzzle in for some of the days

bogiesaremyonlyfriend Wed 29-Oct-14 22:58:20

You could (age dependant) put things in that build up to a bigger thing iyswim. Maybe for littler ones finger puppets or if they are older- bits of lego to build up a set?

Personally I wouldn't put a toy in for everyday but that's just me.

I put a sweet or choc in each day and have done activities but with working it gets difficult in the week. Maybe if they are a bit older you could put a christmas joke in each day?

IssyStark Thu 30-Oct-14 06:27:55

I'm afraid we just go for chocolate. DS are going to be 8 & 3 this December, so a chocolate each and I have to fill the cendar each night otherwise the youngest would scoff the lot given half a chance. Last year I got a bag of minstrels and a bag of twix bites and alternated, although for Xmas Eve I did get them a Thortons chocolate shape each. Given I frequently forgot to fill each day's drawer, I doubt I'd manage anything ore complicated.

FishWithABicycle Thu 30-Oct-14 06:33:55

We have 24 tiny figures for an advent scene in ours. I also put in an advent or Christmas poem or song in each day, and occasional days have a chocolate coin in, but not every day.

iloveholidays Thu 30-Oct-14 06:43:05

Thanks for your ideas. Maybe I should just mix it up a bit. I've got a few hair clips and bits I've bought for the stockings so could pop those in some days and chocolates others.

I can always add an activity on odd days too. mostly easy ones grin

feetheart Thu 30-Oct-14 06:50:33

We have had these for our 2 DC (now 11 and 8) for at least the past 6 years and we put chocolates in half the drawers and tat toys in the other half. The numbers on the drawers are all mixed up so it's never obvious when they get what - there is a system that they know is in existence but they haven't worked it out yet smile
We spend time throughout the year finding tiny things to fit in the drawers which is part of the fun/challenge for us.
Rubbers are good but we have had pencil sharpeners, tiny Moshii Monster figures, Pet-in-Your-Pocket figures, ink stamps, bendy/stretchy people/aliens/dinosaurs, badges, hair things (though not so good for DS smile), bracelets, bouncy balls, those watches on a thin rubber strap, finger lights, etc. Museum and stationery shops are your friend smile Most of it costs pennies though we try to put something a bit better in the '24' drawer - hence the watches though they were 3 for £4 or something.
I do like the idea of activities though, I might nick that if I may?

Chillycamper Thu 30-Oct-14 07:44:35

Lots of activity ideas here

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/Christmas/a2201758-Advent-calendar-ideas

iloveholidays Sun 02-Nov-14 13:04:05

Can anyone recommend a good party bag filler website please?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now