Talk

Advanced search

Teacher/Volunteer gifts.

(18 Posts)
waithorse Wed 29-Oct-14 16:07:02

What are people buying this year ? I'm lacking inspiration this year. I need ideas for teacher gifts and the Brownie leader's. Usually spend a bit more on the Brownie people as they aren't paid.

omama Wed 29-Oct-14 16:10:53

Do people buy for teachers at christmas too? Thought it was just an end of school year thing?! Gah better add it to my list! & following along for ideas!

amyhamster Wed 29-Oct-14 16:12:51

Waitrose candle or box of Roses
The class will do a collection but as it's usually a £10 each I don't think I'll bother

waithorse Wed 29-Oct-14 16:20:32

£10 shock . That's shocking. I've 3 dc, I'm not spending that much. Last year I did Yankee candles, the little one's in glass holders.

waithorse Wed 29-Oct-14 16:23:58

Yes oma, unfortunately teacher presents at Christmas does seem to be the norm now. I've even seen Easter eggs taken in and a rose at Valentine's. hmm

DaisyFlowerChain Wed 29-Oct-14 16:35:01

DS is now in secondary so have yet to find out the protocol as he has lots of teachers now not one. Do people still give at secondary and who for? Just the form teacher?

We always did at primary and have done nice scarves, jewellery, travel mugs and microwave hand warmers for when it's freezing on playtime duty.

marne2 Wed 29-Oct-14 18:42:30

I give for Christmas but not end of school year, make teachers get a chocolate orange, female teachers get a candle of some hand cream.

Happy36 Wed 29-Oct-14 18:49:52

I am a secondary teacher and have been lucky enough to get gifts from members of my tutor group at Christmas in the past. My favourite gift is a bottle of wine, chocolates are also nice although it´s best to stick with "classics" like Roses or Heroes - I tend to share them out with staff, family or students. Things like candles or mugs or handcream are also nice (also make brilliant emergency gifts for others as end of term concerts, parents´ evenings, report writing etc. leaves little time for Christmas shopping).

I´ve had a few other gifts from students I´ve taught and feel I´ve helped in a particular way which tend to be more personal gifts like scarves or jewellery - while none of that stuff has been hideous and I´m very grateful to receive it I tend just to wear it at school. So don´t feel bad about a generic gift like wine, chocolate or handcream, people like those things and can use them.

A nice card from the student is particularly lovely, sometimes they write about a particular thing we did like going on a trip or an unusual activity in class which is really touching to see that they remembered it.

DaisyFlowerChain Wed 29-Oct-14 18:51:59

Happy36, thanks for that. I was thinking of a costa voucher for his form teacher and sending in a tin of sweets that she could share with the group.

Happy36 Wed 29-Oct-14 18:58:49

That´s an amazing idea! I am now envious that no parents have ever bought me a Starbucks voucher (we don´t have Costa here). Coffee is one of my favourite things! I´m sure your son´s teacher will love it.

DaisyFlowerChain Wed 29-Oct-14 19:01:21

Glad it would go down well. Was so much easier at primary as I knew them well and their tastes. Not done vouchers for teachers before but thought it would be easy for him to take in as he already carts a huge bag around.

nic013 Wed 29-Oct-14 19:13:27

What about a personalised hand painted mug with hot choc sachets and marshmallows then wrapped in cellophane. It would be a fun project for the kids to get involved in as well.

waithorse Wed 29-Oct-14 19:36:37

Costa voucher is a very good idea. Might be using that, thanks.

MsAspreyDiamonds Wed 29-Oct-14 20:10:44

I fill a basket with tea, coffee, hot choc, biscuits, mince pies and sweets to share in the staff room. I usually send it in at the beginning of Dec so they can enjoy the treats during December.

Mostlyjustaluker Wed 29-Oct-14 20:20:47

I am also secondary teacher.

I occasional get gifts from groups of students. Normally the gifts relate to a class joke.

Younger students often give me christmas cards which I always proudly display in my classroom.

Zazzabeans Wed 29-Oct-14 20:36:23

Molton brown have £10 off a £20 spend online currently, I bought 4 of the Xmas bauble shower gels for £20 and at the time it was free delivery, so nice little presents for £5 smile
Also the 2 baubles shower gels works with the reed diffuser for £10 - another pressy maybe?? But the £10 off a £20 doesn't work with that unfortunately.

slightlyworriednc Thu 30-Oct-14 16:15:06

I'm a secondary teacher too...a gift is definitely not expected, but a card is lovely!

motherofluvlies Thu 30-Oct-14 17:29:28

At christmas I give a christmas decoration ,small but meaningful I hope....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now