Talk

Advanced search

Ideas for baby 1st Christmas present

(24 Posts)
TheGirlAtTheRockShow Mon 27-Oct-14 17:25:50

DD will be around 6 months at Christmas. My parents want to get highchair for her. I know what we are getting (weaning supplies). What should I suggest DH parents get? Friends and my brother will probably get clothes/toys. I want something useful, not loads of tat. Trouble is I don't know of much we need!

Activity play gym/mat
Jumperoo type thing

TheGirlAtTheRockShow Mon 27-Oct-14 17:47:06

Thanks, but already have both those! Unexpectedly got given my nieces jumperoo for free as she no longer uses it. Got a playmat at birth from work.

Leeds2 Mon 27-Oct-14 17:52:48

Travel cot. I found it useful to use as a cot on occasion, but mainly to put DD in as a playpen type thing whilst I cooked dinner etc.

jimmybim Mon 27-Oct-14 17:59:14

Something she might need when a bit older? Eg baby gate, playpen, bigger car seat...

TheGirlAtTheRockShow Mon 27-Oct-14 18:36:19

We have a travel cot too as need it for holiday before Christmas! Playpen may be good idea. Sturdier than travel cot.

Yoruba Mon 27-Oct-14 21:08:23

How about get them to get the weaning supplies and you put together a little treasure basket? You can buy them on ebay ready made or make yourself. It's a little basket of bits babies love - like a silver thermal blanket thing, wooden spoon, sponge, shells etc. google it and you'll see what I mean.

Or a charm bracelet? You could buy the bracelet now and one first Xmas charm and add to it at significant occasions. smile

eastmidswarwicknightnanny Tue 28-Oct-14 07:08:57

Entertainer have vtech activity table for 20.99 n Amazon for 23.99 which is great price used without legs at 6mths n as they stand add the legs we had similar for ds n was great n although baby will only be 5weeks at Xmas tempted to ask a family member to get it as obv baby won't have another celebration til Nov nxt yr for bday

TheGirlAtTheRockShow Tue 28-Oct-14 08:19:09

Thanks for the ideas!
yoruba I am planning charm bracelet for 1st birthday. I do like the look of the treasure basket!

eastmids that activity table looks fun too, never thought of them from 6 months, thought they were a when standing thing. Will bear it in mind

TheNumberfaker Tue 28-Oct-14 08:33:53

Tell them to get her an Ikea Antilop highchair... £15ish and much better than amy other pricy ones!

Mrsgrumble Tue 28-Oct-14 08:39:07

That's not my... Books are lovely and DS loves them (he's one)

Gro bags in bigger sizes are useful to have

Mega bloks are much loved

Elc links - really lovely

crazykat Tue 28-Oct-14 08:52:46

Vtec push along baby walker or the fisher price one that looks like a pushchair. The vtec one has a detachable front with musical buttons/lights etc.

Sit to stand music tower which starts low for when they can only sit up, then raises for standing to play with. Quite bulky but ours got played with for years between two DCs.

ScrabbledLeggsAndToes Tue 28-Oct-14 10:08:58

Ds (8 months) loves his Fisher Price Chatterbox Phone.

Spookgremlin Tue 28-Oct-14 17:18:20

Pull along toy
Ragdoll
V tech walker (mine used this from 6 months plus, the detachable board kept him occupied)
Trolley with wooden blocks
Happyland (still played with at 3.5)
Music player (Fisher Price have an old fashioned record player that plays nursery rhymes)
Schleich animals to start a collection
Playmobil 1 2 3 zoo
Books books books books books books and more books!

BertieBotts Tue 28-Oct-14 17:24:22

Next car seat? Though you won't use it for a while. Lightweight "spare" buggy maybe.
That's Not My.... books.
Really nice book of fairytales. I never got one for DS and feel like I've missed the boat now, he's six and he doesn't know most of the traditional stories!
Or another book with lots of stories in it - AA Milne's books are nice classics.
Brio train with a couple of pieces of track. She'll enjoy bashing the tracks together to make a noise and perhaps pushing a train along the floor. For first birthday add some more track to make a circle or a figure of 8 and you can keep adding to it.

KnackeredMuchly Wed 29-Oct-14 08:11:32

Please get the Ikea antilop chair. It is brilliant -no crevices to have to spend hours cleaning out and it is designed for perfect posture.

I bought one for £100, he always slumped sad One restaurant used the ikea one, he sat properly - I understood then why they are so recommended. Got rid of ours and bought the ikea!

I bought very little for my son's first Christmas. Just enough to open etc.

You can't go wrong with books - the 'That's Not My'... range are great for that age. I made my son a sensory basket filled with different materials and textures (give it a google)

I rather save my money so that when he had a new love, I could guilt free buy him a big ball, or some cars etc.

We had a lovely Christmas morning with our sensory box and a couple of wooden toys. Just a bin bag would have been exciting to him.

snappybadger Wed 29-Oct-14 13:00:14

I got ds this sensory cylinder from ELC for ds's first Christmas (he was about 9 months). He love scrunching the different shapes and then started throwing them. Once he started to crawl he would throw them and then crawl after them. Was quite a favourite toy in its day!

clr2014 Wed 29-Oct-14 14:22:07

has anyone suggested a garden swing?

TheGirlAtTheRockShow Wed 29-Oct-14 18:29:09

Thanks for all the ideas. clr garden swing will probably feature in the future, loved mine when I was a kid.

nic013 Wed 29-Oct-14 19:02:55

What about a memory bear made from your child's old clothes, a memory quilt or a crochet blanket?

Ormally Wed 29-Oct-14 22:10:46

A treasure basket - google ideas to go into it (interesting and non-dangerous 'real' things). This is great fun to compile.

And by far and away our favourite thing (which was extremely useful for various reasons on our first, v cold, Christmas) was an inflatable bath like a big duck with a quack in its beak!

First wellies/snowboots?

justanotherbiscuit Wed 29-Oct-14 22:45:35

A Clark's voucher for first pair of shoes. (I loved this)

A sit up bath seat.

An spf black out cover for pram ( for summer obviously) .

A nice pram seat liner. The pretty ones are always so expensive.

clr2014 Thu 30-Oct-14 12:51:14

we got this one along with this for ds when he was a baby and it is still used now 10 years later! It has been enjoyed by younger siblings too of course.

BatTeethKeith Thu 30-Oct-14 15:22:40

Mil got dd a beautiful but pink Christmas tree bauble, with her name, date of birth and first Christmas written on it.

Each year we go shopping and she gets to choose another decoration for the tree. guided by me

It's quite a nice little tradition now, and she loves putting 'her' decorations on the tree.smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now