Talk

Advanced search

What do you eat on Boxing Day?

(50 Posts)
ireallydontlikemonday Sun 26-Oct-14 18:52:20

I need some inspiration, the husband has requested something different to the buffet type stuff I normally do. There will be about 15 of us so don't want anything too arduous. What do you all have?

Thanksgrin

Methe Sun 26-Oct-14 18:53:58

If at home - bubble and squeek, pickles and cold meats.

If anywhere else, whatever they feed me.

DaisyFlowerChain Sun 26-Oct-14 18:54:24

I make a curry with various side dishes, curry can be made in advance and frozen so easily thrown together on the day.

loudarts Sun 26-Oct-14 18:56:25

We normally have dss for boxing day so have another full Christmas dinner

18yearstooold Sun 26-Oct-14 19:01:29

Curry, very nice it is too

currieaddict Sun 26-Oct-14 19:02:28

I have 30 usually on Boxing Day for curry. I make 2 curries with boiled rice. I also do popadums with homemade spicy onions and a selection of pakora.

Someone always brings the nan bread from the local Indian restaurant.

Ice cream for pudding if anyone wants.

Ownerofalittlechimp Sun 26-Oct-14 19:43:45

If at home turkey & peanut butter sandwiches plus snacky bits or we go to relatives/friends & have whatever is on offer

LoveVintage Sun 26-Oct-14 19:48:47

We usually do a snacky and leftovers buffet, but I am thinking curry this year too, made in advance and frozen for minimal effort.

CreepilyCacklingMadMama Sun 26-Oct-14 19:50:24

We always have steak pie, potatoes, 3 types of veg and lashings of gravey. Pudding to finnish and usually a nice glass of champs to wash it down.

infact most people I know have steak pie on boxing day.

Impatientwino Sun 26-Oct-14 19:53:42

Jamie Oliver's turkey and leek pie... It's lovely!

and cheese.....lots of cheese

amyhamster Sun 26-Oct-14 19:55:00

Turkey leftovers
Smoked salmon
Cheese board
Port

peggyundercrackers Sun 26-Oct-14 19:55:44

We have steak pie and my mums roast tatties, everyone who has been has said she makes the best roast tatties in the world and rave about them forever more...

fuzzpig Sun 26-Oct-14 19:56:46

Snacky leftover type stuff really. We usually have lots of stuff like naice cheese and crackers, pate etc.

I also do the Best Christmas Sandwich Ever - cut up turkey, pigs in blankets and stuffing in a baguette, with mayo on one side and heaps of cranberry jelly on the other. I look forward to this more than Xmas dinner itself!

PigeonPie Sun 26-Oct-14 20:02:07

Soup or somesuch to start; then leftover meat and other cold meats, smoked salmon (sometimes), salads, cheese and baked potatoes. Then always a good fruit salad for pudding, Christmas pudding and other bits, depending on who is there and how many we're catering for.

helensburgh Sun 26-Oct-14 20:04:05

Homemade lentil soup and sausage rols,for lunch

Christmas turkey leftovers for tea

ItsGotBellsOn Sun 26-Oct-14 20:06:32

The kind of mash-up of food that makes you feel so stuffed you go on a diet on the 27th grin.

Bubble & squeak with poached eggs and leftover Christmas ham for brunch.

Leftover turkey with Caribbean side dishes (DH from Carib) - rice and peas, stew peas (kidney beans in a spicy gravy) , coleslaw, baked macaroni cheese, candied yams, fried plantain and avocado salad.

Evening - cheese, crackers, grapes, crisps and leftover pudding.

<unbuckles belt and unzips jeans>

If at home, usually just picky bits - cheese, crackers, sausage rolls etc. If at my parents, another roast dinner.

But curry is what I would really, really want tbh.

fusspot66 Sun 26-Oct-14 20:18:31

Perhaps your DH could rustle up something different on Boxing Day grin

ireallydontlikemonday Sun 26-Oct-14 20:22:48

Fusspot - I'll put it to him Burgos knows what we would end up withgrin

Think I'll go with curry and cook it in advance and freeze. Also like the idea of naan from the take away.

Thanks all.

Artandco Sun 26-Oct-14 20:23:09

Greek food- pork meatballs and slow cooked lamb, with a few side dishes, few dips like tzaziki, houmous, pile of pitta bread. Baklava. Wine

CurlyWurlyCake Sun 26-Oct-14 20:23:31

fuzzpig

I love a Christmas sandwich! Last year I had beef, horseradish, bread sauce, sliced Brussels and stuffing. With a pot of gravy to dip it in.

fusspot66 Sun 26-Oct-14 20:25:09

We have a complete remake of Xmas day for the DSCs and MIL.
And the DSCs have to be nagged to get up and come round at about 3pm so I'm stuck making small talk with MIL who's travelled 40 miles to see the kids, from noon. It's quite a strain.
I do enjoy 27th!

ireallydontlikemonday Sun 26-Oct-14 20:35:14

Burgos? I don't even know what that means should be goodness...

clr2014 Sun 26-Oct-14 21:56:26

We have an Ulster Fry for brunch, homemade soup and bread at about 3pm, panto at 5pm and then a cheeseboard for supper.

Last year we had gammon - I boiled it on Christmas Eve, and glazed it with mustard, brown sugar and ginger, and we had it cold with baked potatoes and home made coleslaw (red cabbage, carrots, celeriac and mayo) - so all I had to do was bake the potatoes and make the coleslaw. I am going to do the same this year because it was delicious and easy. And we had the leftover gammon to use for sandwiches on subsequent days.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now