Talk

Advanced search

Happyland, playmobil or sylvanians?

(21 Posts)
Itsjustmeagain Fri 24-Oct-14 08:55:43

I want to buy something like the above for my dc for christmas but I am torn between them all!. I have a playtable and want to get some things to put on it. It would be mostly for the younger dcs but I do have two older ones who are 10 and 7 (girl and boy).

The younger dcs are 5,4 and nearly 3.

Any suggestions? which would be best?

Itsjustmeagain Fri 24-Oct-14 08:58:45

Oh and the younger three are all girls!

eastmidswarwicknightnanny Fri 24-Oct-14 09:25:27

At those ages I wouldn't start now with happyland.

Playmobil would suit them all Inc the older ones you can also get playmobil 123 but again Perhaps only suit 3yr old.

Nearlyadoctor Fri 24-Oct-14 09:39:46

I agree with East playmobil is very versatile and appeals to all ages. My DD 7 has Sylvanian families and although she loves it, it is quite fiddly with lots of very small pieces. Some days by the time she's set it up she is ready to play with something else. She goes to breakfast club before school and all the children seem to like Playmobil, their ages range from 4-11.

vikjul Fri 24-Oct-14 10:07:08

I would agree with playmobil, both for how it works with broad age ranges and for its versatility in the possibility of combining themes!

I think it really depends on the child though. I like the look of sylvanians, but my dd (6) is completely uninterested both in the cute factor and in playing families/domestic scenes. She has also not been interested at all in the realistic/contemporary playmobil she has been given (think play park, car, speedboat, babies with strollers etc).

On the other hand, she LOVES her historic/fantasy/wildlife playmobil and plays for hours making up scenarios with princesses/wild animals/egyptians/horses etc in various combinations. She wouldn't be inspired by sylvanians in the same way, whereas my goddaughter (also 6) who is more about putting babies to bed, playing schools etc, would probably adore sylvanians... (But then she loves her playmobil as well...)

So an advantage with playmobil would be that you could cater to both types of personalities!

MildDrPepperAddiction Fri 24-Oct-14 10:14:35

Playmobil. Every time. It's so well played with here.

Artandco Fri 24-Oct-14 10:32:26

Sylvanians IMO

Mine are 3 and 4 and love them. They aren't too small, and will last.

Happy land is very babyish more 1-3 year olds, playmobile breaks/ if loose one piece can't put things back together

Oh and I loved Sylvanians even into early teens especially if playing with younger siblings so I think best for all 5 children.

Oh and my 2 children are both boys but live the Sylvanians. They are not that interested in the bits of playmobil people have brought them

JohnCusacksWife Fri 24-Oct-14 10:39:13

Playmobil without a doubt. My 2 DDs, now 10 & 8, still play with it regularly. Pound per play it's best value toy we've ever had. Sylvanians on the other hand have been ignored from day 1!

Itsjustmeagain Fri 24-Oct-14 11:09:52

thanks! I like the look of the playmobil stuff! - If I got playmobil 123 for the younger and normal playmobil for the older ones I think that would work !

Artandco Fri 24-Oct-14 11:16:42

I wouldn't bother getting the playmobil 123 tbh. That's the age it's aimed for (ages 1,2 and 3). As your youngest is already 3 just go straight to regular playmobil

Needingsomeadvice Fri 24-Oct-14 11:24:18

I thoroughly recommend the playground, the camper van, the take and carry dolls house, and especially the swimming pool. Those are the favourites here!

Needingsomeadvice Fri 24-Oct-14 11:24:59

Playmobil that is!

bogiesaremyonlyfriend Fri 24-Oct-14 12:30:39

Was gonna add my 2 year old plays fantastically with playmobil so would bother with the 123 stuff smile

SquattingNeville Fri 24-Oct-14 14:48:21

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

TarkaTheOtter Sat 25-Oct-14 19:50:35

The plAymobil dolls house is very good value for playmobil as it comes with people, furniture and accessories.

Noggie Sat 25-Oct-14 20:03:02

Play mobile swimming pool- especially fun in the garden during the summer grin

omama Sat 25-Oct-14 22:10:39

another vote for the playmobil swimming pool here! its fab!

nocutsnobuttsnococonuts Sun 26-Oct-14 10:01:15

my dd almost 6 still plays with happyland however probably wouldn't buy more for her now. we got her a Sylvanian house last year thinking she would love it and hasn't been looked at really so selling it.

im thinking playmobil when we decide to move onto something else not at the moment as both girls still love happyland and don't want to start a new theme as there appears to be more interesting sets and opportunity for imaginative play grin

despondentmummy Tue 28-Oct-14 21:21:53

Can I jump on here and ask which Playmobil set for a DD aged 3.5 people would recommend? She has had Happyland stuff since 2 and loved it then but has grown out of it now hence my interest in this post...I've looked at the Playmobil stuff and there's loads, it's overwhelming! She loves fairies and I've seen some fairy world stuff but it says from age 4 and she has a 10 month old sibling who likes to suck her stuff (with me there obv) so I don't want anything with tiny tiny parts...

Needingsomeadvice Sat 01-Nov-14 11:37:29

Despondentmummy

I would definitely go for the swimming pool as it has the added advantage of being able to add water (only need about a pint of water) and the shower actually works, figures can go down the water slide etc. I think it is brilliant as a first set. My DD also has the Playmobil park which is a winner. You will have to keep it away from 10 month old though as ALL Playmobil is a bit small.

Needingsomeadvice Sat 01-Nov-14 12:21:55

Here - www.toysrus.co.uk/Toys-R-Us/Toys/Construction/Playmobil-Playground-5024(0094005)

Was DD's main present from Father Christmas last year. She still plays with it 3-4 times a week at the table.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now