Talk

Advanced search

Saying Thank you to Father Christmas?

(12 Posts)
cakesonatrain Thu 23-Oct-14 23:01:07

This is the first year that 3yo DS is really aware of Father Christmas bringing presents. I was pondering yesterday about writing to FC to ask for presents, and then thought "But what about saying thank you?". If Auntie Thing gives you a present, you say thank you. If anyone hands me anything, ever, I say thank you. We encourage our children to say thank you for everything. But I don't recall anyone in my childhood ever writing a thank you letter to Father Christmas, the bringer of all the good presents for good boys and girls.
Does anyone do this with their children? Should we? Am I overthinking? smile

attheendoftheday Fri 24-Oct-14 07:51:50

I have pondered this before. Last year Dd1 drew a picture for fc to sat thank you and we posted it to dm to him.

cakesonatrain Fri 24-Oct-14 08:01:30

I wonder why it's not a Thing that people do.

BiddyPop Fri 24-Oct-14 08:05:55

E always say thank you for last year's presents in this year's letter, as part of the "yes I was good this year" introduction part. Before we get into the "please can I have" part.

And unprompted, she has often said it to the Santa at my office's kiddie party, a thank you for last year.

Cric Fri 24-Oct-14 08:10:12

When I was little I would put a thank you letter at the end of my bed to be picked up on his route (Christmas Eve) smile

LokiBear Fri 24-Oct-14 08:14:24

We always left a thank you note with his cookie and wine on christmas eve. It was a bit presumptuous now that I think about it!

MollyBdenum Fri 24-Oct-14 08:16:37

We don't write thank you notes, but we do always leave a polite letter for FC on Christmas Eve thanking him for the previous year's gifts and telling him a bit about our year. Father Christmas always leaves a reply as well as eating the mince pies etc.

cakesonatrain Fri 24-Oct-14 09:52:49

Hmm. Maybe I'll get them to shout "Thank you" up the chimney!

Rowboat Fri 24-Oct-14 10:08:14

I thought that leaving him a drink and a mince pie was to say thank you? In a non-specific way? I do like the idea of drawing a picture for him though. dd only 3 so can only really write her name so far.

cakesonatrain Fri 24-Oct-14 15:15:44

I suppose the drink & mince pie is a thank you. It's a pre-emptive thank you though, which isn't usual for presents. But then Christmas is a bit different, isn't it?

SquattingNeville Fri 24-Oct-14 15:54:32

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ScrabbledLeggsAndToes Sat 01-Nov-14 20:30:18

I think the book, Santa has a Busy Night by Lynne Bradbury encourages children to thank Father Christmas. It has been a long time since I last read it though, so I can't swear to it.
If you do want to encourage your ds to thank him though wink, it might be worth a read.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now