Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

What are you buying your dad?

(24 Posts)
clr2014 Thu 23-Oct-14 19:18:16

In the light of great idea sharing on the mum thread...

This year because i can't think of anything else Im buying him a shirt and jumper... but would like ideas for a couple of other more fun bits and bobs. In previous years I've bought him tickets for theatre / comedians, boxsets, tools, golf clubs or clothes...

FiveGoMadInDorset Thu 23-Oct-14 19:23:36

Mine has everything and can afford to buy anything he wants so a mug from DC's with the Christmas card they designed on it, an amazon voucher and some plants for the garden, or maybe a cheese board.

HomeIsWhereTheHeartIs Thu 23-Oct-14 19:31:26

Book of "memories" about his football team from the local section in Waterstones.

MisForMumNotMaid Thu 23-Oct-14 19:37:18

Ludicrously expensive expresso cups.

My sisters giving him the fancy coffee machine because she's bought an even fancier one (that frankly ought to bring the coffee to you in bed for the money). It does make a nice coffee though and i'm just jealous that I couldn't possibly justify so much on a coffee machine which only I would use.

balia Thu 23-Oct-14 19:46:49

Box set of Benidorm
Rain cape thing (he is a keen cycling person - in fact was thinking of asking on here for any advice in this regard)
Chicken Charades
Personalised calendar with photos of our holiday on it (annual pressie)

Floppityflop Thu 23-Oct-14 19:52:07

Dad has everything he needs except more socks so it will be something he can just enjoy, probably beer, and more socks. It is a standing joke: "Oh, just want I wanted, socks."

Yoruba Fri 31-Oct-14 22:13:16

Also have this issue. He has money so just buys what he wants whenever. Could afford far far more than us so it has to be "small and thoughtful" IYSWIM...

Have bought DVDs before, kitchen bits (chestnut toasting pan for his fire etc) hamper. Birthday and Father's Day I bought a few interesting books from the book people and that was fine too.

Sometimes I feel like we will never get something he loves so might as well just get something easy and cheap!!

He likes them all but not totally thrilled. Glad of any ideas!!

Same as every year:
A bottle of single malt for his birthday on Christmas Eve
and another bottle of single malt for Christmas
Easy!

springalong Fri 31-Oct-14 22:32:38

Totally stuck this year. He is 84 and there can be no improvement on the load of firewood that I got cheap last year. He enjoyed the fact that it was a bargain almost more than the actual present (which he loved!). It makes this years box of shortbread look miserly!!

CointreauVersial Fri 31-Oct-14 22:41:15

Checking in for inspiration.

We went Christmas shopping today at Gunwharf Quays and ticked nearly everyone off the list except DDad, DSDad, and FIL. They are soooo difficult to buy for, but conversely seem content with the dullest of gifts ("Ooh lovely! Socks").

Every year I struggle. Previous efforts include stuff for the garden, shirts, PJs, books and, er, socks. wink

jelliebelly Fri 31-Oct-14 22:48:56

My dad doesn't do "stuff" so mostly we buy him consumables - either alcohol or food hamper - sometimes both e.g. Cheese and wine etc - godminster cheese do some nice ones as do whisk hampers

Theonlyoneiknow Fri 31-Oct-14 22:51:41

Not sure yet, maybe a nick nairn cook school day (breads?) or some north face down slippers

Alliwantisaroomsomewhere Fri 31-Oct-14 23:14:25

Why are fathers so hard to buy presents for! My DDad is 81. He neither wants nor needs anything.

To make matters worse, he has asked me not to buy him or his partner any gifts. Pffffffft to that! He and his DP will be at ours over Xmas so we will be getting him a gift! What on earth it will be, fuck only knows.

Clairej81 Fri 31-Oct-14 23:18:47

Probably getting Strictly tickets for tour next year as joint present with my mum for Christmas like last year. My Dad says he doesn't watch it but I know he does and he knows all the names of dancers etc.

inchoccyheaven Sat 01-Nov-14 01:40:34

Beer making kit and luggage scales. Otherwise have bought jumper, shirt and books in past.

TheFantasticMrsFox Sat 01-Nov-14 07:31:03

theonlyone I have North Face slippers and they are ace smile

DSDad (who also has a November birthday) is having a Ronnie Barker "four candles" tshirt, a book of Marvel heroes, some sort of small hamper (cheese and chocolate is always popular) and some single malt whisky.

jessabell Sat 01-Nov-14 07:52:12

Jigsaw puzzle

atoughyear Sat 01-Nov-14 07:56:17

I'm going to buy my dad a nutribullet. I want him to look after himself.

ThinkIveBeenHacked Sat 01-Nov-14 08:04:15

Im paying for them to have a meal at a nice restaurant a few days before Christmas, so Mum and Dad will both just have a little stocking each for Christmas Day - smellies, chocs, keyring of their GCs, maybe some little jokey things.

TaffyandTeenyTaffy Sat 01-Nov-14 08:16:35

My dad as ever wants nothing.
I am going to make up a food hamper of his favourite goodies - it is likely to include some random things such as a Fray Bentos pie in a tin which my mother will turn her nose up at, stuff for a nice fry up, a couple of packets of custard creams and a bottle of dandelion and burdock.
A new washing up brush (bit of a standing joke - he gets one every year)and possibly the obligatory new slippers.
Will probably get tickets for him to come to the panto with us too.

PragmaticWench Sat 01-Nov-14 08:34:54

We've done things like 'experience' days in the past, to get over the not-needing-anything factor of retirement aged men. Recent ones have been a wild food foraging day and a driving day. A big hit last year was a hand-made leather kindle case with a tree moulded on the front. Etsy can be a good source for unusual things like that.

I'm now stumped for birthday and Christmas, he's just not materialistic!

Dancingqueen17 Sat 01-Nov-14 15:56:14

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

mumtoone1 Sat 01-Nov-14 18:01:47

I'm getting my dad a camera for a bird box. Hope he likes it. He has just about everything he wants needs so he is dreadfully difficult to buy for!

Theonlyoneiknow Sat 01-Nov-14 20:32:24

That sounds great, have you got a link to the bird box?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now