Talk

Advanced search

Ipad mini or hudl2?

(31 Posts)
toughday Fri 17-Oct-14 21:26:53

Thinking of getting a tablet each for dd and ds aged 7 and 6. We already have a family ipad which has a lot of their videos and games on it.
The hudl is a lot cheaper but would we regret not getting the ipad minis? What is the android market like for educational apps and videos like disney junior?
DD has had great use out of our ipad this year as she has been in hospital a lot and it has helped her with her reading and maths, but is heavy for her to hold. This is why we were thinking of the mini but then to be fair we want ds to get the same as dd.
Don't know what to do!

Vajazzler Fri 17-Oct-14 21:35:36

Personally I would go for iPads. 3 of my dc's have iPads and they run from the same account so only pay for apps once. I would recommend completely.

clairemum22 Fri 17-Oct-14 21:43:21

Ipad minis are great, I have one. My sons have hudl's and they are good tablets. Not as good as iPad's but given the price differential you can't expect them to be. Sorry, no help!

toughday Fri 17-Oct-14 21:54:30

Thanks, I am swaying towards the ipad as we can put the content from our ipad on it.
Clairemum22 what is the apps like for the hudl compared to apple?

iloveholidays Fri 17-Oct-14 21:54:34

I would go for Ipad Mini's. We bought DD1 a hudl last year and it rarely gets used, she would still reach for my Ipad rather than the hudl. Its faster and easier to use. The hudl also had faults with it, but it was the hudl 1 - not sure what the hudl 2 is like.

toughday Fri 17-Oct-14 21:58:57

Iloveholidays, that is what i'm worried about, DD especially is used to the ipad and i'm thinking I would regret not spending the extra for it.

Redglitter Fri 17-Oct-14 22:04:40

My nieces have Samsung tablets if I was replacing my ipad I wouldn't waste the money on another one. I'd far rather have the Samsung

toughday Fri 17-Oct-14 22:08:55

Why is that Redglitter? Which samsung? The reason I had looked at the hudl was because I have clubcard vouchers, never really thought of another make of tablet

Girlwithnotattoos Fri 17-Oct-14 22:12:35

One of my best friends and I had this very conversation last Christmas, I bough my son an iPad mini she bought here a hudl. Both should do the the same things ie play games, watch movies listen to music but the iPad just does it better and it's easier. My son has used his daily and he loves it whilst hers is now begging for an iPad for Christmas. So she will have ended up spending lots more in the long run.

Oh and lots of schools now use iPads in lessons I've not heard of any using huldls.

toughday Fri 17-Oct-14 22:18:35

Yes that's the other thing, their school has just started to use ipads as well.

That's exactly what what i'm worried about getting the hudl, would I end up regretting it wishing I had paid for the ipad?

Redglitter Fri 17-Oct-14 22:22:07

It's a Samsung galaxy tablet. I hate that you can't add to the memory of an ipad. I bought the girls memory cards to put in theirs and the memory is huge. They've got all the same apps available as I have.

I'm now getting that every time there's an iOS update I have to delete apps so it can install. I'm going to end up with all my apps on icloud which is just crap.

I'd far rather increase my tablets internal memory. Having played with the Samsung tablets I just don't think the ipad is worth the massive extra cost

toughday Fri 17-Oct-14 22:52:16

I'm looking at the 32gb ipad mini as my sister has the 16gb mini and says its not enough. That was one of the pros for the hudl, I could expand the memory on it.

Are all the apps the same? What about videos like dora and mickey mouse, are they expensive? Also dd plays appisodes from disney junior on the ipad, is that on the android market?

Redglitter Fri 17-Oct-14 22:57:48

I honestly haven't found any apps unavailable on the android market

ChippingInLatteLover Fri 17-Oct-14 23:00:12

I wouldn't bother with the Hudl if they are used to the iPad and their school will be using them. There's not that much difference in price unless you plan on using Tesco vouchers towards the Hudl.

Also, what does your sister have on hers? The 9yo has an iPad mini, it's about 2 years old, has all kinds of crap on it and it's not full.

Depends on how much you want to spend on having storage for films I suppose, she doesn't have many on hers as she watches 'stuff' on youtube.

toughday Fri 17-Oct-14 23:19:36

If I was going for the hudl I was going to use the boost vouchers, don't think I can use them with the ipad.
I"m not sure what she has on it, a few films and a couple of apps, I remember thinking it wasn't much.

WineWineWine Fri 17-Oct-14 23:23:30

The problem with apple is once you are bought into them, you are stuck with them.
With android, there are loads of different models to choose from and virtually all of them are significantly cheaper. The apps are compatible between them. The hudl is a great tablet. Kids are more than capable of switching from one to the other.

Redglitter Fri 17-Oct-14 23:26:35

You'll be able to use your Tesco vouchers for a Samsung. My SIL did I think it brought the price down to just over £110

ChippingInLatteLover Fri 17-Oct-14 23:27:23

Someone on here bought an iPad mini on sale, at Tesco, using clubcard point (in part) the other day... apparently anyway.

I am trying to decide which Mini to buy myself at the moment, totally undecided. I had thought about getting a Hudl because then I would risk leaving it in the car under the seat or something, but in the end decided it would just annoy the living crap out of me. I think they are fine if you haven't ever used an iPad, but very frustrating if you have.

I think that if your kids are used to the iPad it will be a lot less hassle to buy those - for them and for you and then you can use the Apps etc you already have and you could share cloud storage etc too couldn't you?

toughday Fri 17-Oct-14 23:51:19

Chipping I just noticed that thread but I can't seem to boost my vouchers with the ipad.
Yes they are used to ipads, and I think they would prefer them. DD definitely has got great use out of ours this year and that's mainly what is swaying me as I know what i'm dealing with.
I have a very basic smartphone with google play and the apps I can get are crap on it, so I really don't know if a tablet is any different. The ipad is the only real technology we have in our house.

ChippingInLatteLover Sat 18-Oct-14 00:03:00

I can't help you with the clubcard boost things. Despite buying £70 of petrol each week and some other bits & pieces (I don't shop there regularly though) I never seem to have many points at all, so never really looked into it. Maybe you can do it instore?

I have been dithering between an iMini and another small tablet for ages now, but I've been using a friends iMini and I love the little thing. I have looked at others, but none of them match up and the ones that get close are just as expensive.

I think Hudl's are great for kids if you can get them with boost points and they have never used an iPad.

If you couldn't afford to get them iMini's then they'd have to make do, but if you can afford it, I think it would be false economy not to get them the iPads. Also, if they are going to be using them at school it' going to be beneficial to have the same thing at home.

I have been waiting for the iMini 3 to come out and now it has I'm a bit disappointed that there's very little difference between the 2 & the 3, the fingerprint recognition seem to be about it. I was expecting it to have the A8, but it still has the A7.

PigletJohn Sat 18-Oct-14 01:09:00

If cost is of any interest, the Hudl is fantastic VFM.

If you have any vouchers to double, even better

TwoLittleTerrors Sat 18-Oct-14 14:54:31

redglitter install your updates via the computer. You don't need much memory to do that.

I would get the hudl just because it's cheaper. It used the google play store so you won't have problems with lack of apps. I can't see why a child using iOS can't use android. DD1 can use both as DH has an android tab and I have an iPad.

TwoLittleTerrors Sat 18-Oct-14 14:57:56

I don't know why you think the google play apps are worse. I found some are better on android while others are better on iOS. I remember DH can get a free ad free angry bird while thre iOS version is paid for. He can also set up the phone to text me when he leaves the office and you can do that on iOS without jailbreakimg.

I think they are just different, neither is better than the other.

StoorieHoose Sat 18-Oct-14 15:17:36

We are a Mac household however I've just ordered a hudl for DDs Christmas. I used the club card boost and I couldn't justify getting the iPad mini. Apart from the cost be edit, the google play store is less restrictive than the apple store and there are lots of apps on there that you just can't get on the iPad

HappyNap Sat 18-Oct-14 15:26:08

iPad mini, definitely. No question.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: