Talk

Advanced search

Anyone using toys r us payment plan?

(18 Posts)
Happypenguin2014 Sun 12-Oct-14 17:56:45

Is it worth it? How much have you spent on it?.

socially Sun 12-Oct-14 17:57:54

A toys r us payment plan?

That sounds like a reaaaaally bad idea. You usually end up paying back far far more than the original cost of the item.

Surely you just spend what you can afford?

Doodledot Sun 12-Oct-14 18:05:05

Payment plan of any kind is a bad idea

Happypenguin2014 Sun 12-Oct-14 18:06:30

Oh sorry should have said it's more like a layaway. You choose what you want and pay over 8 weeks then get toys at end X

Artandco Sun 12-Oct-14 18:29:24

Doesn't sound good. Just spend what you can afford. Don't go crazy.

Here we do one main present and a stocking. They are always happy

socially Sun 12-Oct-14 18:42:51

Do you pay back the exact value of the toys?

EnterNicknameHere Sun 12-Oct-14 19:12:17

You pay back the exact value of the toys, I think you pay 20% of the total at the till then you get the toys once you have paid the remaining total. I think it's a good idea if you were going to get your toys there anyway and you are sure you can afford to pay the rest.

mumcha Sun 12-Oct-14 20:02:06

I was going planning on doing this only it's £200 minimum spend and they didn't have all the imaginext batman stuff I needed .

Ragwort Sun 12-Oct-14 20:04:48

£200 minimum spend - that is a lot of money for childrens' toys, if you haven't easily got that sort of spare cash why spend so much hmm - I've been on Mumsnet a long time and the New Year threads are full of people regretting how much they have over spent at Christmas. sad.

Happypenguin2014 Sun 12-Oct-14 20:10:18

Every single year I spend minimum on my kids. I feel awful every single year when they open crap and stuff they haven't really asked for. They don't care and appreciate everything. This year we have more money. And we can afford it. I have started earlier this year.

tootiredtothink Sun 12-Oct-14 23:05:34

I'd worry about any shop going into administration in this economy.

Is there anyone you can give money to to save it for you instead? At least that way you can also get the best deal when it's time to shop.

HoneyTits Mon 13-Oct-14 00:39:00

I've done this, there was no minimum spend and it gives the dates of when each installment is due. You only pay the price that the toy is worth at the time of picking with a 20% deposit. I've done this just to spread the cost as I've a lot of people to buy for, its not for everyone but it suits me. It's not a case of spending what I can't afford.

MsAspreyDiamonds Mon 13-Oct-14 04:12:32

Have you had a look on the christmas bargain threads to see if you can get the toys any cheaper than Toys r Us? I find toys r us can be expensive and with a bit of online browsing I can buy for less elsewhere.

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/Christmas/2207261-Christmas-bargain-thread-11-I-think-my-dog-has-got-me-pregnant

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/Christmas/2201631-Christmas-bargain-thread-10-my-nan-is-looking-for-a-small-batmobile

SavoyCabbage Mon 13-Oct-14 05:08:25

I live abroad and it's really popular here. Layby it's called.

I always find toys r us expensive compared to other shops.

waithorse Mon 13-Oct-14 06:57:07

I find Toys R Us really expensive, so I rarely shop there and I'd never get involved with a payment plan.

PfftTheMagicDraco Mon 13-Oct-14 07:21:48

Toys R Us? I don't know, I always expect them to go into liquidation. Maybe it's just that they haven't updated any of their shops since about 1980, and the crap staff, but I'm surprised they are still going.

Artandco Mon 13-Oct-14 08:21:00

What does toys r us actually sell? Can you actually get everything in one place?

I would just put some money in a pot each week at home, mid December you can decide what to get based on how much money there is.

How old are your children? What type of thing are they looking for?
I wouldn't by anything 'gymiky' that they only will use a few months max. Buy stuff you can see them still using a few years away. Lego is a good one, craft bits like nice watercolours can be used at home and for school work, etc etc

In my children's stockings I try and stick to:
Something to wear -( this year long sleeved Tshirt and slipper socks)
Something to eat -( prob Lindt reindeer and satsuma)
Something to read -( roald Dahl book and small travel book)
Something to play - ( travel game and skipping rope)

It's an easy and practical thing but if you cover the above they will have a selection of items and some will save you buying after also as practical. You can get more of each if that's your preference.

Ask kids to write a list of 10 things and say you will try and pick at least one as main present, tell them what rough budget is so no Apple Mac airs appear!

paymentplantoys Thu 19-Nov-15 16:27:29

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now