Talk

Advanced search

What are your 8/9 year old girls getting for Christmas?

(81 Posts)
marne2 Thu 09-Oct-14 20:15:54

Really struggling for ideas for dd2, I don't want piles of tat, have just had a big clear out and I'm enjoying not drowning in toys.

I have bought her a few small things including a light up cushion, a Shopkins set and a couple moshi monster books but I would like to buy her a main gift, something around £50, something that won't take up much space but will feel her occupied. Dd2 has ASD and tends to break things easily, although she loves most things that other 8 year olds do it's not always possible to let her have them as she puts things in her mouth, breaks things and doesn't really look after anything. She wants a electric guitar but already has a acoustic one which she does not look after so I refuse to get her one. She has a iPad, a trampoline and a ton of lego.

I have pretty much bought her sisters presents and would like them to have roughly the same amount, dd1 is getting the new HUDL 2, a case for the hudl, a Pickachu hoody, a game for her 3ds, a tummy stuffer and some books ( and maybe a few smaller thing such as bath bombs and sweets ).

I need ideas for dd2?

Guitargirl Thu 09-Oct-14 20:19:49

What about one of those electronic secret diary things - DD (nearly 8) loves hers.

heymammy Thu 09-Oct-14 20:23:18

Dd2 (8) is getting cool purple roller skates. She needs a new bike but just too dear for now. Also getting a coca cola bottle with her name on (can never get stuff with her name on), the new David walliams book and a 3ds.

marne2 Thu 09-Oct-14 20:27:32

The secret diary is a good idea.

She can't ride a bike or use skates as she has problems with her legs ( low muscle tone and hypermobile joints ), she has a scooter but isn't really safe on it smile. She likes science, cooking, making girly things but not keen on books.

Guitargirl Thu 09-Oct-14 20:41:48

If you do go for the secret diary option, I can suggest price tracking amazon's price for it on camelcamelcamel. I bought DD's for her birthday much cheaper than they were advertising it in any shops. We have the vtech secret safe one with a colour (not black and white) screen.

Methe Thu 09-Oct-14 20:43:45

Dd wants a kindle. I'm am undecided at the moment if I am going to buy her one!

Methe Thu 09-Oct-14 20:44:54

The gross science sets are very good marne I'd probably get dd one of those except she's had them all.

Pippidoeswhatshewants Thu 09-Oct-14 20:57:52

Place marking. Dd is not girly, and I have no ideas.

marne2 Thu 09-Oct-14 21:17:54

Will keep an eye out for secret diary deals and the gross science sounds good.

wanttosinglikemarycoughlan Thu 09-Oct-14 21:35:02

there is a secret diary on amazon for £19.99, is that a good price?

Guitargirl Thu 09-Oct-14 21:54:20

I have just checked amazon, there is a vtech secret diary on there for 17.99 but that's the one with a black and white screen. The colour one is on there for 29.99 at the moment but that price does drop.

jennymac Fri 10-Oct-14 08:57:28

Dd 8 is getting a DS2 - resisted for years but have finally given in! Re the secret diary - dd has the Monster High one and it is a pain in the a**! She can never manage to repeat the password in the same tone so it never opens!

HelpMeGetOutOfHere Fri 10-Oct-14 20:54:26

Dd is 8 and getting
Monster high dolls
Lalaloopsy girl
My little pony/equestria girls
Cabbage patch doll
Sticker books
Dork diary books
Kidkraft doll house to fit the monster high dolls
Barbie unicorn

Dd and her friends seem to love a stationary shop called smiggle and she'd love anything from there. It's quite ££ so for treats only.

hotmamalovespavlova Fri 10-Oct-14 20:55:09

My dd2 is 7 and has asd/adhd biggest hit for us last year was Hot Wires by John Adams it still comes out frequently and she is able to complete the circuits herself. Unit is good quality and the components clip on rather than being actually wires her favourite is the flying disk.http://www.amazon.co.uk/John-Adams-Hot-Wires-Electronics/dp/B0006SK3WG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1412970873&sr=8-1&keywords=hot+wires+john+adams

hotmamalovespavlova Fri 10-Oct-14 20:55:49

www.amazon.co.uk/John-Adams-Hot-Wires-Electronics/dp/B0006SK3WG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1412970873&sr=8-1&keywords=hot+wires+john+adams

marne2 Fri 10-Oct-14 21:03:27

Thank you, will look at the hot wires, I think she would like those. She has been eying up the new la la loopsy doll that poops charms hmm, thanks to a tv add.

HelpMeGetOutOfHere Sat 11-Oct-14 15:41:29

A lalaloopsy that poops charms!!! shock
Dd obviously hasn't seen that yet. I've finished dd now though anyway. Just two teen boys to buy for. All I have brought them is a potato gun and a nerf gun each. (They have asked for air rifle and that's a definite no )

MirandaWest Sat 11-Oct-14 15:46:50

DD is just 9. Am thinking about a small sewing machine for her as she is getting into sewing at the moment.

HelpMeGetOutOfHere Sat 11-Oct-14 16:01:00

We saw the advert for a seeing a machine today. It was a whole range of sewing kits for older children. The sewing machine had a cover over the needle. I was going to add it to the list for gifts for other people to buy dd. She's tried using my sewing machine but I fear for her fingers as she's not the most careful.

HelpMeGetOutOfHere Sat 11-Oct-14 16:05:01

Sew cool the range is called

girliefriend Sat 11-Oct-14 16:11:31

Marking place, dd is 8yo and not girlie (unlike me wink )

So far have got her this playmobil arc will also get her some more sodding lego as she does play with the lego a lot.

Other than that am out of ideas, oh actually I tell a lie she has mentioned she would like a metal detector hmm so she might get one if there not too expensive. She would prob like the secret diary thingy as well....

MirandaWest Sat 11-Oct-14 16:11:34

Thank you smile I've seen some in John lewis as well (their own make I think) - am in the vaguely thinking about it stage at the moment grin

girliefriend Sat 11-Oct-14 16:12:28

they're blush

MirandaWest Sat 11-Oct-14 16:12:30

DD would probably like a secret diary if all the secret notes she seems to write are any indication.

Sarahplane Sat 11-Oct-14 16:13:43

My dd got hot wires for her 9th birthday last week and loves it. It's fantastic. She wants sew cool for Christmas.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now