Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Does anyone else find it hard to say "that's enough"

(14 Posts)
PourquoiTuGachesTaVie Sat 27-Sep-14 13:46:19

I have ds' christmas presents sorted. But I still keep seeing things I'd like to get him.

It takes a lot of self control to not keep buying stuff!

And yes, I know I'm projecting as Christmas and birthdays were often incredibly disappointing (and I'm not just saying that to be dramatic - we actually did get nothing at all for Christmas some years).

I'm generally very good at not buying toys in between Christmas and birthdays too, so I'm always annoyed that I lack the same self control come Christmas time!

MrsWolowitz Sat 27-Sep-14 13:48:04

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

PourquoiTuGachesTaVie Sat 27-Sep-14 14:46:49

Glad it's not just me!

I need to buy Christmas chocolate (selection box, gold coins, chocolate santa/snowman) and wrapping paper.

That's it.

But there are so many lovely toys....

poolomoomon Sat 27-Sep-14 19:39:24

Me! But not really for presents, more for decorations and other things like that. I had the decorations for the house planned, knew when I was buying what but then see or hear things mainly on here and add it to the list. It's not done until Christmas is over really.

amyhamster Sat 27-Sep-14 19:42:13

If I started now I'd spend too much
I left it last minute
Amazon is great for value & always delivers on time

nancy75 Sat 27-Sep-14 19:42:46

I find saying no to new stuff quite difficult in general, I am a nightmare at Christmas.

I find as DD gets older the stuff I am buying gets smaller (and more expensive) Even though I buy loads it just doesn't look enough

I haven't got anything yet, but do have my list planned - it gets longer every day!

306235388 Sat 27-Sep-14 20:47:04

Yep me particularly with Ds because his birthday is 23/12 so I'm paranoid about him not missing out.

Ds will be 8 this Christmas and dd 4 so I kind of feel it might be re lAst year it's magical for both of them?

306235388 Sat 27-Sep-14 20:49:25

Also in contrast to what amy said (sorry) amazon and many other companies couldn't get to us one late November / December due to snow so I like to be prepared!

fuzzpig Sat 27-Sep-14 20:50:15

Yes me!

But I'm improving. The pile is getting less ridiculous. They still get plenty.

I am avoiding too much advanced buying now, as that's what was leading me to overbuy. I'm leaving things on my wishlist much longer.

I think the main thing I'll struggle to limit will be books! Now that DD is better at reading, and enjoying chapter books at bedtime, it's so hard to not buy everything I think of blush

NormHonal Sat 27-Sep-14 20:54:10

Yes, me too.

I totally overdid it last year. I'm fact I'm ebaying stuff I never even gave to the DCs last year to help pay for this Christmas. blush

Soooo many toys. And yes, I hardly had any as a child myself. I'm definitely over-compensating. And they are little for so few years.

I only need one more thing for Christmas and I really am done. But I already know it won't stop there.

lavendersun Sat 27-Sep-14 21:08:08

I buy too much every year, but then we don't really buy anything other than books and musical instruments for the rest of the year apart from birthdays.

A bit like above poster, I expect to wind it in a bit once believing in FC is over.

I have bought too much already - I only shop online and have received an embarrassing number of parcels recently.

combust22 Sun 28-Sep-14 07:57:19

Ye I do too. I have a huge box of stuff I bought last year but decided to hold back- I had just bought too much. At least it's given me a head start for this year.

3pigsinblanketsandasausagerole Sun 28-Sep-14 07:59:21

Me too

I have fully bought for youngest dc but she's at such a good age to find lots of things to buy I am having to tell myself no a lot!

I still have plenty to buy for older two though I am just trying to work out if some of the things they are asking for are worth it and will be played with

TheOnlyPink Sun 28-Sep-14 08:59:01

Definitely me. Like others above, I'm avoiding buying too much too early, in case I see other things I know they will love. I leave things on the wish list and delete as I see better things. I have bought a few of the larger items that I know are going to be well appreciated. ds 2 especially its harder to say no for, he is 3 in Dec, and Ds 1 gift is quite expensive so I feel like I should make the value the same, but the things he likes are cheap, so making up the value is making mountains of toys. I am determined to only buy what will be loved and not just to make the pile more impressive.

So I'm pacing myself with the shopping and hoping I will be able to stop at just the right time!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now